Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   First Suspension mod help. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138785)

Elliotw 01-30-2020 05:48 PM

First Suspension mod help.

Hello all,
I am looking into doing a suspension mod where I have some adjustablity. I have never done this type of mod before where there is an adjusting component. Last year was my first major year tracking racking up close to 500 laps during the spring/summer/fall on all stock suspension. The first adjustable mod I had in mind was either adjustable sway bars or coilovers.(something good quality as well) I went about doing some research on the forums I saw a lot of discussion talking about sway bars and how the factory setup is great and they aren't adding a lot of value from a handling perspective. This really put me off buying sway bars. So I am looking into deciding between coilovers(something nice but 1 way adjustable) or sway bars.. I don't want anything too complicated for my coilovers as it may overwhelm me in the process of dialing in the car. Hoping some of the more experience people could give me some guidance in what mod I just start with.

Driving types this BRZ will need to handle:
* 0-3 times a week on the street
* 15-20 track days a year.
* 3-8 drift days a year.

Note: a valid answer is drive more time on stock before upgrading. Dont be afraid to suggest that.

Thanks!

FastWhite 01-30-2020 06:21 PM

First question then is “how much do you want to spend ?”
Look for a reputable vendor
Find a friendly face and drive their car
Do one thing at a time
With this platform, stock sway on the rear
Front bar gives you better turn in
Some Tein coilovers are designed to work with stock bars

You’ll get a ton of opinions
CSG is on the west coast
RCE on the east
Both have excellent reputations.
Drift Office is also excellent. In Auburn WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code Monkey 01-30-2020 06:28 PM

MCS or wait for the Xidas.

NoHaveMSG 01-30-2020 06:28 PM

CSG Spec Flex A's are a solid choice.

I am curious how the suspension from Annex works out. I can see on FB some of the guys in Norcal86 are playing around with them.

Elliotw 01-30-2020 06:51 PM

Any thoughts on Sway bars vs Coilovers. It seems most are just suggesting coilovers to choose from.
Budget:
< 5k coilovers
< 1k sway bars(front & rear & end links) Although it seems rear isn't recommend.

NoHaveMSG 01-30-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliotw (Post 3295286)
Any thoughts on Sway bars vs Coilovers. It seems most are just suggesting coilovers to choose from.
Budget:
< 5k coilovers
< 1k sway bars(front & rear & end links) Although it seems rear isn't recommend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d0e7f2bfed.jpg

FastWhite 01-30-2020 08:19 PM

At 5K for coilovers go MCS. 1WNR, front sway only. I like the 22mm Perrin. Get poly bushing for the rear. The SPL front end links. Determine how low you want to go and then decide on regular or shortened version of the endlinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strat61caster 01-30-2020 09:17 PM

Don't change anything until you know what you're trying to change. This sounds like throwing parts at the car just because you have some money in your pocket. You haven't described any problems you're trying to fix with suspension mods so it sounds to me like you got a flawless car.

Elliotw 01-31-2020 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3295361)
Don't change anything until you know what you're trying to change. This sounds like throwing parts at the car just because you have some money in your pocket. You haven't described any problems you're trying to fix with suspension mods so it sounds to me like you got a flawless car.

Appreciate the honest feedback.

CSG Mike 01-31-2020 04:08 AM

Buy 2-3 more sets of stock suspension. Swap them on every 200 laps or so, because stock dampers wear out QUICK.

Spend the rest on seat time, brake pads, tires, and maintenance.

M0nk3y 01-31-2020 06:23 AM

IMO - Diving into MCS suspension isn't worth it until you can afford (and want) 2-Way Remote Canisters. Their valving and internals on the 1-Ways and 2-Way non-remotes are meh.

For front swaybar, I highly encourage you to look into the Karcepts Front Bar. If you want adjustable - that has everything you could ever want.

Until then, focus on track time - getting comfortable with the car and truly understanding what you want out of your suspension package. Nothing is worse than throwing an expensive shock on the car and not really grasping what that shock is doing or how it is benefiting you.

IMO

strat61caster 01-31-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3295463)
Buy 2-3 more sets of stock suspension. Swap them on every 200 laps or so, because stock dampers wear out QUICK.

Spend the rest on seat time, brake pads, tires, and maintenance.

Would Bilstein last long enough to warrant the price difference?

Joesurf79 01-31-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliotw (Post 3295269)
Note: a valid answer is drive more time on stock before upgrading. Dont be afraid to suggest that.
Thanks!

The question to ask, is "what behavior of the car are you looking to change"?
If there is nothing you've identified that you want to change, there's no point in changing anything.

Just buy tires and track time, rinse/repeat.

Joesurf79 01-31-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 3295476)
IMO - Diving into MCS suspension isn't worth it until you can afford (and want) 2-Way Remote Canisters. Their valving and internals on the 1-Ways and 2-Way non-remotes are meh.
IMO

:laughabove:
So - tell me about the benefits of the remote canister vs the "meh" 2WNR if you would :) On what tires, sizes, spring rates, aero setup? Because I've had nothing but great luck and lap times with them, and they damping sweep covers a dramatic range of spring rates...