Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Porsche 911R (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109208)

nikitopo 08-04-2016 04:26 AM

Porsche 911R

I created this topic because it is a car that reminds old sport car designs and because they focused mainly on the weight saving aspect. Please keep in mind that this is not designed to be a racing car, but a road car for the purist that will offer unmatched driving pleasure. The car is based on the 911 GT3 RS and they managed to lose a total weight of 70kg (152 lbs). A few guys that had the chance to drive this car, said that the difference is really noticeable. The car feels much more light and more agile. Some even say that it is the best Porsche built by the factory the last 10 years. Following some details:

http://i68.tinypic.com/6f88c6.jpg
The interior reminds a sports car of the '60s, textile seats, no steering wheel controls, no stereo, no navigation system, no A/C, no rear seats, front bucket seats using carbon fiber, less soundproofing, manual gearbox (911 GT3 RS comes only with auto).

http://i64.tinypic.com/do2oac.png
The exterior has no aerodynamics elements that will ruin the overall car line. No rear wing, no side air vents. The car roof is made of magnesium, the exhaust is made of titanium, the car hood is made of carbon fiber.

nikitopo 08-04-2016 04:39 AM

Here is also a video with more technical details:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Fxr9DOkw"]The Porsche 911 R – Everything you need to know - YouTube[/ame]

mav1178 08-04-2016 04:49 AM

:sadface:

Quote:

Dear Porsche Enthusiast,

Thank you for your interest in the limited edition 911 R.
While the 911 R is sold out, we encourage you to continue to use the Porsche Configurator to build your dream car.

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America
My version of the car came out to just over $211,000. It's like owning a fleet of BRZ in a single car!

nikitopo 08-04-2016 06:34 AM

Yes, I also heard that they are already sold out. They say that it'll be the last Porsche with a natural aspirated engine and a manual gearbox. The current price of the car is now five times up or even more! It is already a collector's car.

We can just dream or use some ideas and apply them to our down-to-earth cars ;)

IPGJames 08-04-2016 10:24 AM

unobtanium...another disappointing Porsche model...yes, we all love the idea...would love the chance at owning one but for us reasonable Porsche enthusiasts/owners these get pushed so far out of the stratosphere for pricing that it isn't even reasonable to try and fall in lust with them.

600 examples immediately sold out at MSRP to the "in" crowd...mostly Porsche 918 owners in the USA that get first dibs on anything cool and seeing as how they are all intelligent, well off individuals of course they all say yes to the offer even if they just plan on flipping it to make some cash...instantly the entry $185k msrp is a $285k premium by the flippers and demand....heard stories of 1 million dollar asks on builds already...not sure what is true or not but this is destined to be a $500k car all day long that very, very few people will ever get to experience

not to mention Porsche fubar'ed all their dealers on this one but that is another story

it is disappointing at times to be a Porsche loyalist / owner

humdizzle 08-04-2016 10:27 AM

yeah they were all sold out a while ago. You gotta be a special customer to get one. 918 owners of course get first dibs.

That said I'm not sure where values will go. Porsche has already said the next 991.2 GT3 will have a 6speed manual box.

nikitopo 08-04-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humdizzle (Post 2720863)
Porsche has already said the next 991.2 GT3 will have a 6speed manual box.

That's true, but probably a turbo model ...

WolfpackS2k 08-04-2016 12:21 PM

^No it won't. GT models are staying NA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikitopo (Post 2720704)
Yes, I also heard that they are already sold out. They say that it'll be the last Porsche with a natural aspirated engine and a manual gearbox. The current price of the car is now five times up or even more! It is already a collector's car.

We can just dream or use some ideas and apply them to our down-to-earth cars ;)

These cars are already re-selling for over $1,000,000.

The next 911 GT3 is confirmed to come equipped with this same 6 speed manual transmission.

gramicci101 08-04-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 2721019)
^No it won't. GT models are staying NA.

A moment of silence for our fallen brother, the GT2.

Re_Invention 08-04-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPGJames (Post 2720857)
unobtanium...another disappointing Porsche model...yes, we all love the idea...would love the chance at owning one but for us reasonable Porsche enthusiasts/owners these get pushed so far out of the stratosphere for pricing that it isn't even reasonable to try and fall in lust with them.

600 examples immediately sold out at MSRP to the "in" crowd...mostly Porsche 918 owners in the USA that get first dibs on anything cool and seeing as how they are all intelligent, well off individuals of course they all say yes to the offer even if they just plan on flipping it to make some cash...instantly the entry $185k msrp is a $285k premium by the flippers and demand....heard stories of 1 million dollar asks on builds already...not sure what is true or not but this is destined to be a $500k car all day long that very, very few people will ever get to experience

not to mention Porsche fubar'ed all their dealers on this one but that is another story

it is disappointing at times to be a Porsche loyalist / owner

This is a ridiculous argument. How is an already expensive car ($185k) disappointing because it is now more expensive on the used market? I'm sure there are some posters here that can afford a $185k toy but this is an absurd attitude to have towards the brand and model - especially since it isn't Porsche setting the used market prices. If anything I say kudos to Porsche for rewarding their loyal and new comers who ponied up a million dollars to buy a Porsche over a McLaren or Ferrari. It's no different than any other high brand marquee that gives first dibs to repeat customers. I think your argument better fits with the GT4.

But ultimately no one is entitled to experience shit. You (and I!) need to make more money, that isn't Porsche's problem :cheers:

Plus this ain't Porsche's first special edition rodeo, it's entirely in their modus operandi see: Carrera GT, GT1, RSA, 914/6, Carrera Speedster, GT2RS, etc. Nothing new.

And there are still plenty of 'cool' affordable used Porsche models for the Porsche hardcore: Boxster Spyders, Cayman R, 911 GT3, 996 Turbo S, 944 Turbo, 968, etc. There's a spread from $15,000 to $85,000 for all budgets.

IPGJames 08-04-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re_Invention (Post 2721078)
This is a ridiculous argument. How is an already expensive car ($185k) disappointing because it is now more expensive on the used market? I'm sure there are some posters here that can afford a $185k toy but this is an absurd attitude to have towards the brand and model - especially since it isn't Porsche setting the used market prices. If anything I say kudos to Porsche for rewarding their loyal and new comers who ponied up a million dollars to buy a Porsche over a McLaren or Ferrari. It's no different than any other high brand marquee that gives first dibs to repeat customers. I think your argument better fits with the GT4.

But ultimately no one is entitled to experience shit. You (and I!) need to make more money, that isn't Porsche's problem :cheers:

Plus this ain't Porsche's first special edition rodeo, it's entirely in their modus operandi see: Carrera GT, GT1, RSA, 914/6, Carrera Speedster, GT2RS, etc. Nothing new.

And there are still plenty of 'cool' affordable used Porsche models for the Porsche hardcore: Boxster Spyders, Cayman R, 911 GT3, 996 Turbo S, 944 Turbo, 968, etc. There's a spread from $15,000 to $85,000 for all budgets.

The disappointment is the amount of time, money, energy Porsche puts behind a product like this knowing full well that it will be near impossible for most people to get their hands on one whether they can afford it or not....

how many reviews, test drives, etc have you seen on the 911r...pretty well marketed in my opinion...but ultimately all Porsche is saying is.....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jmcVODW1p0I/hqdefault.jpg

DarkSunrise 08-04-2016 01:15 PM

The thing I find disappointing is Porsche won't sell the GT3 RS with a manual. The 911R comes with a manual, but doesn't have the aero and is more expensive for some reason.

gramicci101 08-04-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPGJames (Post 2721094)
but ultimately all Porsche is saying is.....

That's what all the true luxury manufacturers do. If anything, Porsche is more "normal person" friendly by offering the Boxster and Cayman, both of which are well within the range of an upper middle class family. Even the lower end 911's are reasonably affordable. You'd never see Ferrari or Lamborghini do that. They don't care that most people will never even get to sit in one. They don't want most people to be able to sit in one, because it would get the car dirty.

IPGJames 08-04-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 2721099)
That's what all the true luxury manufacturers do. If anything, Porsche is more "normal person" friendly by offering the Boxster and Cayman, both of which are well within the range of an upper middle class family. Even the lower end 911's are reasonably affordable. You'd never see Ferrari or Lamborghini do that. They don't care that most people will never even get to sit in one. They don't want most people to be able to sit in one, because it would get the car dirty.

I agree to some extent...the exclusivity idea goes a long way but IMO this is not what the Porsche brand is about and why so many people enjoy the brand...they have always been a higher end option but still completely obtainable but the vast majority of people that wanted to obtain....the economy is good....everyone is feeling rich again...the housing market is doing what it does when everyone is feeling good about themselves and the brand is following suit....good or bad...not sure...but the reason Porsche has done so well over the years IMO is the customer base...they are starting alienate some of their customer base...maybe that is their goal...maybe they are just riding high...not sure...don't care....just my $.02