Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Ohlins R&T v2 spring specs (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133465)

Somerandom18 03-15-2019 09:47 AM

Ohlins R&T v2 spring specs

Looking to get these coils but the springs are a bit too soft at 4k/3k. So I plan on swapping the springs to swift. Anyone know the length and ID of the springs front and rear?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Decep 03-15-2019 01:23 PM

isnt this defeating the purpose of coilovers- perfectly matched spring/damper combo? Can you spec different rates from ohlins themselves? do you have to revalve the dampers too for the stiffer springs?

Racecomp Engineering 03-15-2019 03:38 PM

We've done a couple custom sets of the "new" Ohlins. The price adds up if you switch to Swift springs, but we can set you up if you're interested.

- Andrew

Somerandom18 03-15-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3196488)
We've done a couple custom sets of the "new" Ohlins. The price adds up if you switch to Swift springs, but we can set you up if you're interested.

- Andrew

I'll definitely shoot you guys an email thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

strat61caster 03-15-2019 06:04 PM

48020-07 230mm 65mm 40 N/mm // 229 lbs/in // 4 kg/mm
48020-03 230mm 65mm 30 N/mm // 172 lbs/in // 3 kg/mm

Looked up the spring part number in Ohlins info online:
https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...2012-2016-zc6/

https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads...Subaru_BRZ.pdf

And someone helpfully posted the list of springs and specs on a BMW forum, which this forum might block the URL of, can't remember...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1323389

So 2.56" diameter (65mm), 9.06" (230mm) long

Eibach and HyperCo are cheaper than Swift ($60-$70 each instead of $80-$90 for Swift) and are regarded as the highest quality springs you can buy as a consumer, but their metric diameters are less comprehensive than Swift iirc.

@Decep one of the advantages to adjustable damping is being able to adapt the damper to a different spring rate without needing a revalve, you can usually swap springs +/-50lbs/in without noticing a big change to ride quality even without adjusting the dampers. Different designs have different ranges and different people look for different things, I think there's a couple posts on this forum about swapping springs on the Ohlins and what rates they went with.

JIM THEO 03-16-2019 04:44 AM

Eibach is the manufacturer of Ohlins springs so a better choice from Swift, last SUS MP21 was with 4K springs all around while now Ohlins sells the same exactly suspension with 5K springs (according to their technician shocks have the same valving).
By the way I sell an MP21 with 4K springs all around, bought a month ago with less than 500 miles on it, if you are interested pm me, reason I sell it is that I need rear suspension with more travel for our uneven roads

Semiihcircle 03-17-2019 07:07 PM

So I Just pulled the trigger and ordered some ohlins, from ohlins usa. Originally i was going to have them revalved on the the spot for 6k all around. since im going to STX with coils, and 4/3k is too soft... It appears that they just updated the kit for our cars, and now includes 5k springs all around... but still nno tophat :(

But now im debating if i should have them revalve and with 6k springs and what tophats to go get

RayRay88 03-18-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semiihcircle (Post 3197069)
So I Just pulled the trigger and ordered some ohlins, from ohlins usa. Originally i was going to have them revalved on the the spot for 6k all around. since im going to STX with coils, and 4/3k is too soft... It appears that they just updated the kit for our cars, and now includes 5k springs all around... but still nno tophat :(

But now im debating if i should have them revalve and with 6k springs and what tophats to go get

Where did you read about the 5K all around release? I can't seem to keep Ohlins suspension straight for this car. By far the most confusing line up ever, it doesn't help that they change spring rates without changing the product code so a search of SUSMP21 provides coil overs with multiple spring rates and top hats/no top hats combinations.

Semiihcircle 03-18-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayRay88 (Post 3197198)
Where did you read about the 5K all around release? I can't seem to keep Ohlins suspension straight for this car. By far the most confusing line up ever, it doesn't help that they change spring rates without changing the product code so a search of SUSMP21 provides coil overs with multiple spring rates and top hats/no top hats combinations.

You gotta call them, they just updated it...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

strat61caster 03-18-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semiihcircle (Post 3197069)

imho drive them as is, change spring rates, test, tune, test again, then get a revalve after a season or two. Many people get shocks rebuilt every 1-4 years of competition depending on what level they compete at so get some experience with them before spending money changing them and knock out your first rebuild at the same time.

Developing an autox car is hard when you don't have someone to copy.

Semiihcircle 03-20-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3197251)
imho drive them as is, change spring rates, test, tune, test again, then get a revalve after a season or two. Many people get shocks rebuilt every 1-4 years of competition depending on what level they compete at so get some experience with them before spending money changing them and knock out your first rebuild at the same time.

Developing an autox car is hard when you don't have someone to copy.

Yeah thats the route im going to go, no need to spend extra, like you said if i dont have a baseline to compare it to