Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Why Adjust Camber? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118171)

MatthewFRS 05-01-2017 08:25 PM

Why Adjust Camber?

Hey guys, so I want go get the TEIN STREET BASIS Z Coils, but a friend is telling me to get the TEIN FLEX Z Coils because you can adjust camber.

I know what camber is, but would it really be a big deal to be able to adjust camber? What would the benefits be of adjusting camber even if it's not that much?

Cole 05-01-2017 08:31 PM

Do you want to understeer into a wall on the track or would you rather go around the corner instead?

MatthewFRS 05-01-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2902344)
Do you want to understeer into a wall on the track or would you rather go around the corner instead?

I don't under steer into a wall on stock suspension… lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyler_win_photo 05-01-2017 08:43 PM

Like Cole was hinting at. Adjustability with camber is good if you want to control understeer. Also it can help with uneven tire wear. When you drive aggressively with stock camber settings, you will notice that the shoulder see of the tire wears faster than the rest. If there's another incentive to get the flex z over the basis it would be that the flex z has much better dampening and therefore will ride much better.

Traktor 05-01-2017 09:04 PM

+1 for tire wear on track. I was destroying the outside of tires even with -2.0 degrees. Now running -3.0 and it's a lot better. Probably need -3.5, but it is a daily driver!

MatthewFRS 05-01-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traktor (Post 2902370)
+1 for tire wear on track. I was destroying the outside of tires even with -2.0 degrees. Now running -3.0 and it's a lot better. Probably need -3.5, but it is a daily driver!

What about if it's just a daily with no track use?

strat61caster 05-01-2017 09:11 PM

Being told the answer is one thing, knowing why is another.

Camber plates are added complication, if you're not looking to improve handling performance, KISS: keep it simple stupid

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fvJMxErfms"]MacPherson Strut - Explained - YouTube[/ame]

guybo 05-01-2017 09:40 PM

Extra negative camber helps the car handle a little bit better. It also improves grip to a point. More camber does not necessarily mean more grip and better handling- it's all about enough camber. Too much will mean worse handling and less grip. More camber on a street car will also shorten the lifespan of your tires.

On a street car, there are lots of ways to change the balance of the car. At stock, this car is very neutral and has very little understeer. Camber is one way to change that balance. Know what you're fixing before you fix it.

It's really not accurate to talk about under/oversteer as a thing because it happens for different reasons in different phases of the corner. There's corner entry balance, balance at the apex and track out balance. Camber can affect any phase of the corner, but front and rear camber have to be considered.

If you get adjustable coilovers and you don't know anything about this stuff, you will only hurt your car's handling. Most people with adjustable suspensions think they know about it and have them dialed in very wrong. The wheel rate and damper settings have a huge effect on handling too.

Your right foot has a lot more effect on your car's balance however. Practice that.

Gforce 05-01-2017 09:57 PM

Camber is not well understood. The idea is to set camber so that the contact patch is evenly pressured when the suspension is at the most extreme angle expected for the track you're on.

For road use you want camber set so that in normal cornering the contact patch is flat and evenly loaded across the tread.

Too much negative camber overheats the inside tread rib and reduces total grip.

For these cars 1-2 degrees negative is the maximum camber you want at the rear.

For front camber zero or close to it is best for street use. The chassis already exhibits oversteer under drop throttle or power on so you do not need much camber if any at the front unless you are tracking the car.

For good illustration look at F1 cars. They run less front camber under 2017 rules than they did before the front tires were allowed to be so wide and very litle rear camber.

FR-Sky 05-01-2017 10:31 PM

It is better to have a adjustment than regreting that you don't later.
Camber/Dampening can give you better performance and ride quality.

churchx 05-01-2017 11:44 PM

And why again F1 argument is being brought up. :/
Why not bring up alignment settings of monster trucks? They should be as applicable then F1's.
And 1-2 deg neg. camber rear, zero camber front for street? Oh, yes, of course there will be a bit oversteer due mass transfer from lift off & it's not hard to get power oversteer with stock low-grip tires, but it's driver inputs induced behaviour, car is understeer-ish with stock zero camber all around, why make it much more understeery than it is? Maybe rather worth be more mindful how one drives then simply mash up accelerator everywhere and steer with .. ehemm, alignment to compensate wrong control inputs.

solidONE 05-01-2017 11:47 PM

Because all the cool kids are doing it. KISS Simple. lol

PandaSPUR 05-02-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-Sky (Post 2902437)
It is better to have a adjustment than regreting that you don't later.
Camber/Dampening can give you better performance and ride quality.

Came here to say this ^

Going cheap in general for coilovers will probably lead to regret later. I'd spend a little more now. Even if you dont end up using the adjustments now, you might want it later for different reasons.

Also, keep in mind you cannot adjust camber in the rear without aftermarket LCAs.

Cole 05-02-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guybo (Post 2902403)
More camber on a street car will also shorten the lifespan of your tires.

Nope. Toe will do more damage than camber

Edit: You also mention this car being neutral stock. Wrong again, push the car and it will understeer.