Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   left-foot braking with AT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100252)

mdm 01-19-2016 10:57 AM

left-foot braking with AT

So if I ever buy a twin, it will be an automatic* FR-S.

And if I do it, I will want to drive it like I drive all automatic cars - using my left foot to brake. I just prefer this way for several reasons.

Does anyone here drive an AT twin this way?

Are you aware of any reasons it couldn't/shouldn't be done in this car?

I mean real reasons, like:
"driving position becomes unbearably awkward"
"Brake Assist gets confused and kicks in every time you brake"
"the transmission will die after 20k tops"

not things like:
"you will get confused and won't brake properly in emergency"
or "real men brake with the right foot".

* yes, I know MT is supposed to be more fun, and I can use MT (I drove only MT for the first 13 or 15 years after I got my license), but I have my reasons.

Ashikabi 01-19-2016 11:00 AM

What makes you think AT is "meant"to be braked left footed? The pedal is in the same place and is in no way in a good position for a left foot. I think you can do it, you'll just end up being on brake and gas at same time. Also, I assume you've used your right foot to brake the whole time you were MT. So why change now?

NWFRS 01-19-2016 11:09 AM

Don't do it.

You'll form bad habits. I've ridden along with old people before who did this-scariest thing ever. You might be the best driver in the world, but I think most of us eventually get lazy, and laziness in this case could cause accelerated wear on the equipment. Not to mention if you ever need to drive a manual for any reason you will need to un-learn some bad habits. Just my 2c.

P.S. This particular auto is actually pretty nice. :)

MisterSheep 01-19-2016 11:12 AM

This is such a dumb, dumb habit to ever do.

NyC Zn6 01-19-2016 11:18 AM

well if you have two left feet go for it.

fumanchu1 01-19-2016 11:21 AM

It's ok Op, I'm also like you, in the sense that:
I open doors by smashing my face into them

go_a_way1 01-19-2016 11:27 AM

You will just wear everything out much much faster if you are on the gas and the brake at the same time.

Please don't buy a twin go get a honda cuz when you crash I do not want my insurance to go up.

Chanpion 01-19-2016 11:29 AM

I do it. Twin's a manual but when I drive automatic cars, I go for the left foot brake. Some cars don't position the pedals well for left foot braking though, but you can just use your normal foot.
Only things to watch out for is, that you don't hit both pedals during a panic stops. You have to get that hard wired into your brain. And same thing as driving manual, have your left foot off the pedal when you're not using it.
Nothing wrong with left foot braking, but people don't promote it because it does promote the bad habit hitting both pedals during a panic stop.

chaoskaze 01-19-2016 11:29 AM

no hating here guys, trail braking err day everyday!

That aside don't you lose power if you have both of ur feet on gas & brake with driving aids on?

FRSBRZGT86FAN 01-19-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdm (Post 2514227)
So if I ever buy a twin, it will be an automatic* FR-S.

And if I do it, I will want to drive it like I drive all automatic cars - using my left foot to brake. I just prefer this way for several reasons.

Does anyone here drive an AT twin this way?

Are you aware of any reasons it couldn't/shouldn't be done in this car?

I mean real reasons, like:
"driving position becomes unbearably awkward"
"Brake Assist gets confused and kicks in every time you brake"
"the transmission will die after 20k tops"

not things like:
"you will get confused and won't brake properly in emergency"
or "real men brake with the right foot".

* yes, I know MT is supposed to be more fun, and I can use MT (I drove only MT for the first 13 or 15 years after I got my license), but I have my reasons.

You can't be fucking serious, even in the ice on stock tires almost a day ago I had the most fun didn't touch the brake pedal once let alone with my left foot. The only time I would purposely left foot brake is if I want to force a little oversteer on a dry corner.

MisterSheep 01-19-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoskaze (Post 2514274)
no hating here guys, trail braking err day everyday!

That aside don't you lose power if you have both of ur feet on gas & brake with driving aids on?

I believe "The Pedal Dance" is needed in order to fix this.

chaoskaze 01-19-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2514266)
You will just wear everything out much much faster if you are on the gas and the brake at the same time.

Please don't buy a twin go get a honda cuz when you crash I do not want my insurance to go up.

:popcorn:

brz side of family welcome you anytime bro.:popcorn:

fumanchu1 01-19-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanpion (Post 2514271)
I do it. Mine's a manual though but when I drive automatic cars, I go for the left foot brake. Some cars don't position the pedals well for left foot braking though.
Just watch out that you don't hit both pedals during a panic stops. I know I don't. You have to get that hard wired into your brain.

Why would you purposefully do a technique that is inefficient, potentially dangerous and leave the door open to much more human error is beyond me. CAn it be done yes, should it? no.

That's like my above statement, you can open doors by smashing your face in them but that is less than ideal and downright stupid.

mdm 01-19-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 2514229)
What makes you think AT is "meant"to be braked left footed? The pedal is in the same place and is in no way in a good position for a left foot. I think you can do it, you'll just end up being on brake and gas at same time. Also, I assume you've used your right foot to brake the whole time you were MT. So why change now?

OK, so let's derail it for a little bit. I hoped to get answers though, not to defend my choices ;-). [Also, seeing responses which appeared while I was typing this, it looks I will get few if any answers and a lot of judging...]

I do not think AT is "meant" to do it, it's just the way I prefer to do it.

I know that usually the pedals are not really designed for left-foot braking, and it is not the most comfortable position for the left foot. But I got used to it.

Yes, I braked with right foot in MT, I still brake with right foot when driving MT (e.g., when renting cars in Europe), switching is actually much easier that I suspected. I also braked with right foot for many years in AT.

At some point I wanted to try left-foot braking and I found that it suits me better for several reasons:

1. faster response time in emergency (not wasting time on moving the foot sideways)
2. faster start when green light turns on (for the same reason - not that I want to street race people, but sometimes I am in the wrong lane and need to get in front of other cars)
3. easier to start on steep uphill without rolling back in cars with no Hill Assist (no need to use the ebrake)
4. being lazy in stop-and-go traffic - don't need to move the foot from gas to brake and back all the time
5. some people say that left foot braking can get you confused in emergency and you will bemore likely to press gas instead of brake. I don't buy it, I think you are more likely to do it when you use the same foot for both gas and brake. And I did not have problems with emergency braking a few times already.
6. [tongue-in-cheek] I do some recreational karting so with left-foot braking I can feel almost like in a go-kart ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWFRS (Post 2514241)
I've ridden along with old people before who did this-scariest thing ever.

What exactly scared you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSheep (Post 2514243)
This is such a dumb, dumb habit to ever do.

Why do you think so? I am asking seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanpion (Post 2514271)
I do it. Twin's a manual but when I drive automatic cars, I go for the left foot brake. [...]
Nothing wrong with left foot braking, but people don't promote it because it does promote the bad habit hitting both pedals during a panic stop.

Thanks. See above for the panic stop issue.