Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   HKS Supercharger owners thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89226)

wbradley 05-30-2015 12:37 PM

HKS Supercharger owners thread

Would be interesting to see who else is using the HKS unit and their setup.
I am just waiting for an ECUtek dyno tune appt in 2 weeks. In the meantime waiting it out on the F-Con iS conservative tune. Goal, about 245 at the wheels, 300 at the flywheel.
The rest of my setup in on my signature.

Lee 05-31-2015 08:03 AM

I am hks v2 supercharged
Thread here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78019
More often updated here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/...percharged-86/

wbradley 05-31-2015 11:20 AM

^^ Yes, I followed your threads regarding the S/C. Very nice build, all performance. Had I been involved in tracking my car prior to purchasing the 86 I probably would have gone a similar route. Rather, my focus was more on the esthetics and sound at the beginning. I hear Scotland has a very similar climate to Canada, in the more densely populated areas.

Tried Tennent's beer last night. :cheers: It might just be the nicest, mildest beer I ever remember drinking.

BadLuckZN6 05-31-2015 11:25 AM

283 at the hubs here. HKS V2

wbradley 05-31-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadLuckZN6 (Post 2268913)
283 at the hubs here. HKS V2

What supporting mods to achieve that power?

BadLuckZN6 05-31-2015 11:47 AM

HKS manifold, HKS front pipe, tomei overpipe, M7 Exhaust, ARC intake Restricter bored out to larger size on V2 kit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8/IMG_1372.JPG

wbradley 05-31-2015 12:13 PM

Nice engine bay. Love the red paint, my WRX is the same colour. Was going to leave in the stock front pipe w/resonator and cat. I wonder if it will make much difference in the power I will get after the tune? I have a feeling it wont change much.

BadLuckZN6 05-31-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 2268954)
Nice engine bay. Love the red paint, my WRX is the same colour. Was going to leave in the stock front pipe w/resonator and cat. I wonder if it will make much difference in the power I will get after the tune? I have a feeling it wont change much.

Mine was mapped on a dyno with Ecutek

fluffy-reindeer-slayer 06-01-2015 09:36 AM

Wondering if the skunk 2 airbox would fit this setup.

Rookie84 06-01-2015 11:09 AM

I'm wondering how reliable this SC is on the track. I was leaning towards JRSC since many owners of that kit seem to have no issues on track days regarding reliability and overheating. However, since Yen is down and I have to purchase from overseas regardless of my choice on a SC kit (which means additional shipping costs for everything I buy :( ), HKS V2 SC seems very attractive not only because it's cheaper than most other kits but also HKS is known for their top notch quality.

So if any owners of HKS V2 SC track your cars, please enlighten me on how it performs!

Also, I am aware that this kit uses restriction plate. My goal is to be at around 260~270whp with header + OP + FP + catback. Will the restriction plate be modified or can I make somewhere close to my power goals with unmodified restriction plate?

Thanks in advance! :D

wbradley 06-02-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie84 (Post 2269846)
I'm wondering how reliable this SC is on the track. I was leaning towards JRSC since many owners of that kit seem to have no issues on track days regarding reliability and overheating. However, since Yen is down and I have to purchase from overseas regardless of my choice on a SC kit (which means additional shipping costs for everything I buy :( ), HKS V2 SC seems very attractive not only because it's cheaper than most other kits but also HKS is known for their top notch quality.

So if any owners of HKS V2 SC track your cars, please enlighten me on how it performs!

Also, I am aware that this kit uses restriction plate. My goal is to be at around 260~270whp with header + OP + FP + catback. Will the restriction plate be modified or can I make somewhere close to my power goals with unmodified restriction plate?

Thanks in advance! :D

There's a 38mm plate and a 42mm plate. If you are going to tune your vehicle, you can bore out the 38mm one to 42. I probably wouldn't remove the plate completely, from what I understand the plate is there so you dont completely lose all your low end torque. I have the 42MM plate and pretty much everything you described with a V1 setup with the V2 intercooler upgrade. The only thing I dont have is the front pipe (using stock w/ resonator & cat). I am expecting somewhere around 245 WHP after tune. That translates to around 300 at the crank.

empower-auto 06-05-2015 06:25 PM

Ver2 here with 43mm restrictor
248whp 209 max tq at the wheels
REALLY need to kill the stock header / overpipe I think. I have a big dip in power

Lee 06-05-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 2271403)
There's a 38mm plate and a 42mm plate. If you are going to tune your vehicle, you can bore out the 38mm one to 42. I probably wouldn't remove the plate completely, from what I understand the plate is there so you dont completely lose all your low end torque. I have the 42MM plate and pretty much everything you described with a V1 setup with the V2 intercooler upgrade. The only thing I dont have is the front pipe (using stock w/ resonator & cat). I am expecting somewhere around 245 WHP after tune. That translates to around 300 at the crank.

The standard restrictor is 39mm, the 'upgrade' is 43mm.
The plate (restrictor) is only there to limit the boost at high rpm, it basically only allows in so much air before it chokes and then the airflow remains around the same as rpm rises (therefor boost is capped / starts dropping with rpm)

Removing the restrictor completely will not lose you any low end, it will only add power towards the top as you are no longer limiting airflow there. Can a stock engine handle an unrestricted supercharger? I don't know, it definitely requires fuel upgrades though.

wbradley 06-05-2015 09:50 PM

Oops I was out a mm :) I had read the low end torque thing somewhere but it doesn't really make sense does it? I am afraid I have given wrong info that I had assumed was from a credible source. I have 700c injectors and a smaller pulley but will hold off installing them for now. I will seek advice on whether to keep the restrictor in when I see my tuner on the 18th of this month. The goal for now is 300 at the crank. I am told all I need is a bigger fuel pump and to install the upgrades I have sitting in boxes for 350 at the crank, roughly 300 at the wheels. My concern is that will lead to other issues such as the clutch and longevity, and frankly the car should be plenty powerful for my use already.