Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   wheel/tire choice for return to HPDE (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143959)

johhnc479 01-22-2021 08:16 AM

wheel/tire choice for return to HPDE

After many years away from HPDE, I'd like to dip back in this year. I'm not sure exactly how many years its been, but last time out was when there was still an oak tree at Oak Tree.

I mostly autocross with our local PCA in my Cayman. My FRS has been basically a commuter car since November 2012. I'd rather track the FRS so I won't have my wife bugging me about putting a scratch on her always perfectly clean Cayman. And if something breaks it should be cheaper to fix.

Mod plans are front sway bar and oil cooler. Maybe crash bolts (or something else) for front camber? I'll swap brake pads prior to the events.

I'm struggling with what to do for a wheel/tire combination. Originally I was thinking a streetable tire like the 225/45 Micheline Pilot Sport 4S on the stock wheels. I loved those tires on my Cayman as a dual street/AX tire before going to the fast 200TW's, but they are a bit pricey. At half the cost I was thinking Falken Azenis FK510.

I'm not hung up on having a super fast tire, but our local PCA events I plan to attend have some pretty quick cars - I'd like to be reasonably quick to not be a blockade in the turns. I'm used to straight line slow from all my years in my 944.

I really want to keep this simple, but am open to a 17x8 or 17x9. I could pair those with an R Compound, or a 200TW option. Any size/tire recommendations on those? Offset? I've never prepped a car competitive for SCCA AX, but one of those wheels could be a jump off into SSC or STX. My oil cooler keeps me out of DS.

Goingnowherefast 01-22-2021 09:43 AM

I think it really depends on how far you want to take it. In my opinion, the number one thing these cars desperately need for the track is front camber. I would recommend grabbing a set of front crash bolts and literally max them out.

As far as the wheel/tire combination, obviously a 245/255 on a 17x9 wheel will be much faster than a 225 on a 17x8 inch wheel. Personally, I opt for 200TW tires on even my DD (I still take it to events and instruct in it sometimes) over a high performance summer. That being said, the Pilot Sport 4S and the Conti ExtremeContact are pretty great options that can cope with *light* track use while being great DD tires (in the wet too). There's tons of great 200TW's out there now. RS4 and RT660 make for some awesome endurance tires centered around HPDE and road course use. The A052, Rival S 1.5, and RE71R (now discontinued) are the top dogs when it comes to speed, but they tend to fall off during longer sessions. There's a possibility of a new RE71RS making it's way here for next season, and also the new V730 could be a good offering but it's too early to tell.

Hope that helps!

SCFD 01-22-2021 12:01 PM

The only time I'd recommend using anything other than 200TW tire is when somebody is new to the sport and isn't ready to invest in tires.

I haven't driven on the FK510s before but I would be weary about tracking on them for experienced drivers or those planning to attend more than 1 or 2 track days per year. I've destroyed a couple sets of UHP summers without trying just because of the heat that was put into them causing blistering/chunking.

johhnc479 01-22-2021 12:37 PM

I'm leaning 17x9 with 245's on 200TW. I'm assuming they would fit easily enough inside the car if I swap at the events.

Any clearance issues with stock suspension, what offset?

Racecomp Engineering 01-22-2021 12:42 PM

I would call the PS4S level of tires as a street tire that can handle some "light" track use.
Love em and use em on my own car, but if I were tracking frequently I wouldn't choose them. Just not the best use for them.

Hankook RS4 is a solid choice for a tire. Not particularly quick compared to others of its type but a step above PS4S. Great on a budget, handles heat fairly well, and lasts a long time. Haven't been able to test some of the more recent competitors myself unfortunately.

245s on a 17x9 is objectively better/faster most of the time, but if you're not that worried about times there's nothing wrong with 225s on a 17x8 or 17x7.5. Especially with minimal other suspension mods. With the wider tires/wheels, I would definitely consider more suspension mods (partially for clearance, and partially so the car is better to drive).

Very much recommend at least front camber bolts.

- Andrew
^Damascus HS class of 2003!

RToyo86 01-22-2021 12:52 PM

If you are set on 300tw range and you want inexpensive tires go with the Indy 500s. They're pretty popular around here for dual street/track setups. FK510s are have mushy sidewalls which you don't want.

Westen86 01-22-2021 01:25 PM

I have the FK510 in 245 and I would not want to track them, its a mushy tire. The Conti ECS is plenty track capable if you do more street miles.

Youll want a +35 offset to run camber bolts

strat61caster 01-22-2021 02:11 PM

17x9's on stock struts will limit your camber options, 8's and 225's will be cheaper and more camber via a pair of bolts to make those tires last longer, if you're just having fun and don't care about lap times I'd go for the 8's. If you know you'll want the extra grip then don't faff around and go for the 9's.

Falken RT660's are closer to RE71R/A052 then they are to Hankook RS4's
The cheap long lasting Falken is the RT615k+

Nankang AR1's and CR1's are getting some good reviews as cheap and grippy. AR1 even though softer should be more stable over a session.
Goodyear Supercar 3's I think are the other under the radar tire right now.

And I second Firehawks as a cheap 300tw tire, but they're not quick at all and I understand some people think they're frustrating to drive on.

Edit; and yes, 17x9's fit in the rear of the car with the seat down, three across the rear seat, one in the trunk, should have enough space for a jack and pair of stands, small toolkit, and helmet.

Westen86 01-22-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3401505)

...Edit; and yes, 17x9's fit in the rear of the car with the seat down, three across the rear seat, one in the trunk, should have enough space for a jack and pair of stands, small toolkit, and helmet.

Why didnt I think of that? I was laying them flat with one in the front seat all the time.

Grady 01-22-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johhnc479 (Post 3401476)
I'm leaning 17x9 with 245's on 200TW. I'm assuming they would fit easily enough inside the car if I swap at the events.

Any clearance issues with stock suspension, what offset?

I would spend my money on a quality tire over a larger tire. If you are NA the weight of 245’s affect your acceleration, Possibly more than you gain in cornering.

johhnc479 01-22-2021 07:11 PM

I just ordered a set of 17x8's, with 225 RE-71Rs. Next is to find an oil cooler and get the crash bolts. I guess I should get something to monitor temps also.

Westen86 01-23-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johhnc479 (Post 3401595)
I just ordered a set of 17x8's, with 225 RE-71Rs. Next is to find an oil cooler and get the crash bolts. I guess I should get something to monitor temps also.

Solid. Cant go wrong with that choice.

AC86 01-23-2021 03:44 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question as well.

I am already currently on 17x8's with 245 wide RS3 and RS4s. (rims were used with 225 RS3's, and I just replaced with 245s in an RS4)

I have run both 225 and 245's on these rims, and had not had issues with them on the track, or general driving, and I was wondering what are the positives and negatives of each?
Do the 245 width tires pair better with the 17x9?

Thanks

Alan C

staples323 01-30-2021 06:21 AM

I agree with RCE. The Hankook RS4 is only a little slower than the quickest 200tw tires with heaps more life out of them. Add in that they are fairly cheap and you can't go wrong, unless you're going for ultimate lap time.