Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rust mitigation? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150181)

chipmunk 06-24-2022 06:49 PM

Rust mitigation?

Well.... finally that dreaded day has come! I notices a couple of rust spots starting near the license plate mounts on the trunk. Each about 1-2 mm diameter.
What options do I have?
  • Take it to a body shop?
  • Some DIY solution?
  • Wait till it gets big enough and replace the whole trunk from salvage yard?
  • Treat with rust-inhibitor chemicals, if there are any effective ones?

Watching my toddler grow up, my hair turning gray, rust on the car... I guess they are all inevitable, but all these things are happening so quickly

soundman98 06-24-2022 07:51 PM

do you have pics?

Tcoat 06-24-2022 08:25 PM

Ya pictures are critical in this case.
Without seeing responses can range from “meh don’t sweat it” to “oh my god trade it in now”.

VoltsFRS2013 06-24-2022 11:46 PM

Pics would be super useful. I will say, depending on what it is and the severity If it's 1-2mm in size it would probably be best to just neutralize the surface rust and paint over it with a paint pen or something similar fashion.

chipmunk 06-25-2022 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put some rust inhibitor last night. There is another one of these spots behind the license plate.

Now the rust inhibitor won't come off!! Gosh, one problem is breeding another!

soundman98 06-25-2022 10:52 AM

that looks a lot larger than 1-2mm!

now the course of action is:
a. bring to professional
b. wet-sand, touch up, wet-sand, touchup, wet-sand, mild buff, clearcoat, wet-sand, finish buff, wax.

c. leave it.

Tcoat 06-25-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipmunk (Post 3531040)
I put some rust inhibitor last night. There is another one of these spots behind the license plate.

Now the rust inhibitor won't come off!! Gosh, one problem is breeding another!

Of course it won’t come off. It works by chemical reaction with the oxides so becomes part of the steel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3531046)
that looks a lot larger than 1-2mm!

now the course of action is:
a. bring to professional
b. wet-sand, touch up, wet-sand, touchup, wet-sand, mild buff, clearcoat, wet-sand, finish buff, wax.

c. leave it.

This ^. You can do it yourself if really ambitious but a pro can can make that invisible for a relatively cheap price.

chipmunk 06-25-2022 03:00 PM

Autocorrect edit: hand washing (not handwriting!)

I have lost faith in all of my abilities at this point �� including hand washing the car.
At some point, my sanity is more important than a couple of hundred $$. I'll let a professional deal with it.

soundman98 06-26-2022 02:56 PM

the neverending personal struggle!

can i functionally do anything/everything? yes. do i have any experience? rarely. do i have the time to take 5x's longer than someone that knows how to actually do it? haha. ha.

humfrz 07-02-2022 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3531236)
the neverending personal struggle!

can i functionally do anything/everything? yes. do i have any experience? rarely. do i have the time to take 5x's longer than someone that knows how to actually do it? haha. ha.

Yep, you're starten ta get old - :eyebulge:

JD001 07-02-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3532552)
Yep, you're starten ta get old - :eyebulge:

Either I have been elusive or you have been hiding.. Not seen posts from you in ages.. How are you? Still keeping the local gals at the supermart happy?

humfrz 07-02-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3532620)
Either I have been elusive or you have been hiding.. Not seen posts from you in ages.. How are you? Still keeping the local gals at the supermart happy?

Thanks for asking, I've been just fine. Where have YOU been?

The gals down at the supermarket are doing just fine. Some of them aren't nearly as pretty, since they quit wearing masks - :iono:

JD001 07-02-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3532643)
Thanks for asking, I've been just fine. Where have YOU been?

The gals down at the supermarket are doing just fine. Some of them aren't nearly as pretty, since they quit wearing masks - :iono:

You should insist that they wear masks, good for the wellbeing of their customers!!

humfrz 07-02-2022 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3532658)
You should insist that they wear masks, good for the wellbeing of their customers!!

Good idea, I'll suggest that to them - :D