Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2018 Toyota model announcements? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118724)

stevesnj 05-19-2017 10:14 PM

2018 Toyota model announcements?

Typically Toyota announces the next model year February through May but nothing new on the sports car side yet. I don't know if the new Supra will be a 2018 or 2019 but nothing on the 2018 86. Maybe a joint announcement of both? I know Toyota want's to get back in the sports car game and Tada San was made Exclusive Sports Car Engineer and Developer. Maybe a triple threat, SF-R, 86, and Supra announcement?

Tcoat 05-19-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesnj (Post 2913470)
Typically Toyota announces the next model year February through May but nothing new on the sports car side yet. I don't know if the new Supra will be a 2018 or 2019 but nothing on the 2018 86. Maybe a joint announcement of both? I know Toyota want's to get back in the sports car game and Tada San was made Exclusive Sports Car Engineer and Developer. Maybe a triple threat, SF-R, 86, and Supra announcement?

There has not been a single word on the SFR in almost a year so don't hang any hopes in that.
Contrary to what this forum seems to think most people will not be cross shopping the Supra and 86 so a duel announcement would serve no purpose.
Last year we were well into July before any official announcement of the 86 was made so they are not out of the timeframe.
You are reading a lot into the fact that Toyota hasn't said anything yet when they are notorious for keeping their moths shut until they are good and ready.

ichitaka05 05-19-2017 10:40 PM

They just release 860... so highly doubt they gonna do any announcement of any new 86 for at least a year. iirc Tada-san have retired (so he claim in his fb). He's not in charge of FT-86 project anymore.

With that said, Toyota STILL developing other two sports cars. When they're coming out? Only time will tell.

Tcoat 05-19-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 2913489)
They just release 860... so highly doubt they gonna do any announcement of any new 86 for at least a year. iirc Tada-san have retired (so he claim in his fb). He's not in charge of FT-86 project anymore.

With that said, Toyota STILL developing other two sports cars. When they're coming out? Only time will tell.

This^
The 18s will be the same as the 17s with possibly some minor add ons. Remote possibility there will be anther trim level (as per the official yet very vague Toyota press releases last year) but no big change. Probably the same for 19 as well since they need to get ROI on the refresh.

I know this is blasphemy on here but Tada is only the chief engineer not the car so it will carry on with or without him.

ichitaka05 05-19-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2913496)
I know this is blasphemy on here but Tada is only the chief engineer not the car so it will carry on with or without him.

Half true, half false. Because he was a higher up engineer in Toyota, so 86 was able to built the way it was built. All the crazy story he told me, I'm not sure any other CE were able to make what "86" we know to be. Now next CE for 86 project need to follow what he did or don't follow what he did and change things around... or worse, kill the 86 line.

All I know is, next gen of 86 gonna be another hit or miss and kill the production... not tryin' to put pressure on him. Haha I say this cuz I know next CE & team is reading this forum lol

Tcoat 05-19-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 2913503)
Half true, half false. Because he was a higher up engineer in Toyota, so 86 was able to built the way it was built. All the crazy story he told me, I'm not sure any other CE were able to make what "86" we know to be. Now next CE for 86 project need to follow what he did or don't follow what he did and change things around... or worse, kill the 86 line.

All I know is, next gen of 86 gonna be another hit or miss and kill the production... not tryin' to put pressure on him. Haha cuz I know next CE & team is reading this forum lol

Of course they read the forum. They would be crazy not too.

extrashaky 05-19-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2913487)
There has not been a single word on the SFR in almost a year so don't hang any hopes in that.

I suspect the lighter entry level "sports" car will end up being a souped up Yaris. Putting go-fast parts on another shitbox economy car will be a lot more cost effective than bringing another real sports car to market. When the Supra is finally finished, they'll put a liveried Yaris and an 86 next to it at an auto show and call them the Three Brothers.

And Toyota's target market will buy into it.

ichitaka05 05-19-2017 11:29 PM

2018 Toyota model announcements?

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2913513)
I suspect the lighter entry level "sports" car will end up being a souped up Yaris. Putting go-fast parts on another shitbox economy car will be a lot more cost effective than bringing another real sports car to market. When the Supra is finally finished, they'll put a liveried Yaris and an 86 next to it at an auto show and call them the Three Brothers.

If they can make close to WRC Yaris instead of fake one Ford did to Fiesta. I'm good

...or they make RWD small hatch SFR, I'll buy it
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...99312a7def.jpg

KR-S 05-20-2017 11:23 PM

I can't imagine the 2018 86 being any more different than the 2017 besides the possibility of dropping the Monospec model and introducing a PP equivalent. If that's not the case, we'll probably see a Toyota performance package as a special edition (86 Club Edition?).

Off-topic, I'm trying to think, is there really a market for the SF-R here in the U.S.? Even if the car does make it into production, what exactly will the SF-R compete with? The 86? It was the 86 (and FR-S then) that was supposed to serve as the entry level sports car and cater to those who like nimble, lightweight cars. What would Toyota do with two entry level sports cars? I'm not against the idea; I am all for it, but I just can't see it happening.

As far as the Yaris goes... you know what, I'm all for putting go-fast bits on it, as silly as it sounds. Reliable fuel-sipping daily driver that you can also take to the canyons with? Sure, why not?

weederr33 05-20-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

All I know is, next gen of 86 gonna be another hit or miss and kill the production... not tryin' to put pressure on him. Haha I say this cuz I know next CE & team is reading this forum lol

If the new CE & team do read these forums, I'd be very curious to see what kinds of issues they work on (other than power).

Kaotic Lazagna 05-21-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2913513)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...adorable-hoot/

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/17/10/1488917684-yaris3.jpg

Yeah, I don't expect Toyota to bring that over. Toyota never gave us the Vitz RS/Yaris TS, and I really don't think they'd make the first current USDM boosted Toyota a Yaris (I'm not counting the Lexus line). I think the only factory turbo Vitz/Yaris was strictly JDM, even Europe didn't get it.

PetrolioBenzina 05-21-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Did I not read here that the 86 is in the same design team that does the Prius? There's you answer as to the future of the 86.

extrashaky 05-21-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna (Post 2913932)
Yeah, I don't expect Toyota to bring that over. Toyota never gave us the Vitz RS/Yaris TS, and I really don't think they'd make the first current USDM boosted Toyota a Yaris (I'm not counting the Lexus line). I think the only factory turbo Vitz/Yaris was strictly JDM, even Europe didn't get it.

I agree. They won't bring that over. What they'll do is bring a shittier version of that over, something that is just a little more than a regular Yaris. Then they'll retroactively try to attach it to the 86 and the Supra in the marketing plan as part 3 of their promised sports car lineup.

They've been saying for a while we would get three sports cars, with the 86 in the middle, and there were lots of hints that the S-FR would be the lower model. With interest in the S-FR seeming to wane, I think they'll just try to shove that piece of shit Yaris into that slot instead and pretend that's what they intended to do all along.

Kaotic Lazagna 05-21-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2914259)
I agree. They won't bring that over. What they'll do is bring a shittier version of that over, something that is just a little more than a regular Yaris. Then they'll retroactively try to attach it to the 86 and the Supra in the marketing plan as part 3 of their promised sports car lineup.

They've been saying for a while we would get three sports cars, with the 86 in the middle, and there were lots of hints that the S-FR would be the lower model. With interest in the S-FR seeming to wane, I think they'll just try to shove that piece of shit Yaris into that slot instead and pretend that's what they intended to do all along.

I'm still thinking it'll be the S-FR, but very tweaked from the concept (mainly the glass/polycarb roof and won't be a 4 seater). If you look closely at certain placement of things; ie vents, shifter, handbrake, etc, it mimics the new Miata. Given how Toyota already has ties/interest with Mazda (Yaris iA), I think it'll be a better financial position for Toyota to rebody the Miata into the S-FR and price it a couple grand less than the 86 (vs spending tons on getting that supercharged version of the Yaris to pass smog and safety here), bringing it to a grand less than the Miata.

Both companies win there. Mazda gets funding from Toyota. Toyota gets DOT approved chassis and powertrain from Mazda. Miata sales may actually increase since "I can get a convertible for only 1k more than the S-FR." And vice versa, those who don't want to spend the money on a Miata or the 86 can get the S-FR.