Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Major engine failure 45km before warranty expires (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135595)

guanqi89 07-04-2019 03:20 PM

Major engine failure 45km before warranty expires

Hey guys, I made a post last year about getting my short block replaced under warranty (78k kms back then). And asked if my car would be reliable, and if I should sell since I probably can't afford to pay for an engine replacement out of warranty and out of pocket. You can see the old thread linked below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...59#post3108659

Well, it happened again. Car broke down, with mechanical knocking noise coming from the engine. It's currently sitting at the dealer awaiting diagnoses with 99955km on the odometer (barely within the 100k power train warranty)

I don't know if the failure is identical to the last time. But the question remains. Should I sell? Should I keep?
  • Obviously a car like mine that needed to get engine replaced twice (potentially) will definitely take a hit on the used car market.
  • I however probably can't afford to pay for a repair like this out of pocket (dealer mentioned the work will cost around 12k without warranty)
  • How much does an engine replacement cost if it's done at an independent shop?
  • How much is a non-running FRS worth? Can I get any money back if engine breaks shortly after this replacement?

Comments to these above points can really help me decide. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks guys!

NCtoBRZ 07-04-2019 03:36 PM

I would find a used engine and have that installed, which should be possible for a few grand... nobody on here can give you an exact price though, you’ll just need to contact a few shops and get a labor quote for installing a used engine. Your car won’t be worth much in non-running condition. Again, we can’t tell you what you are entitled to if the replacement engine breaks... that is up to whatever warranty is provided by the supplier of the engine.
It’s up to you if you choose to keep the car after this 3rd engine has been installed... I would be inclined to sell it on at that point since something about you and this car does not seem to mesh well :iono:

86TOYO2k17 07-04-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guanqi89 (Post 3233666)
Hey guys, I made a post last year about getting my short block replaced under warranty (78k kms back then). And asked if my car would be reliable, and if I should sell since I probably can't afford to pay for an engine replacement out of warranty and out of pocket. You can see the old thread linked below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...59#post3108659

Well, it happened again. Car broke down, with mechanical knocking noise coming from the engine. It's currently sitting at the dealer awaiting diagnoses with 99955km on the odometer (barely within the 100k power train warranty)

I don't know if the failure is identical to the last time. But the question remains. Should I sell? Should I keep?
  • Obviously a car like mine that needed to get engine replaced twice (potentially) will definitely take a hit on the used car market.
  • I however probably can't afford to pay for a repair like this out of pocket (dealer mentioned the work will cost around 12k without warranty)
  • How much does an engine replacement cost if it's done at an independent shop?
  • How much is a non-running FRS worth? Can I get any money back if engine breaks shortly after this replacement?

Comments to these above points can really help me decide. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately these cars don’t hold their value well. A 2015 frs with 65k miles is only worth around 14k. Not sure how being on a third shortblock would effect that price either. So factor that in if you sell and buy a new car.

Dealers always way overcharge. A 2015 FA20 crate engine with 50k miles is under 3k$ and a shop should be able to do an engine swap for about 2k$. You can even buy a built short block for under 3k$ install would probably be closer to 3k$ though. Or buy a built head and short block same time have them assemble it so basically a built long block for about 6k$ and then install should be around 2.5k$ Or learn to do the work yourself and really save money.

guanqi89 07-04-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3233674)
Unfortunately these cars don’t hold their value well. A 2015 frs with 65k miles is only worth around 14k. Not sure how being on a third shortblock would effect that price either. So factor that in if you sell and buy a new car.

Dealers always way overcharge. A 2015 FA20 crate engine with 50k miles is under 3k$ and a shop should be able to do an engine swap for about 2k$. You can even buy a built short block for under 3k$ install would probably be closer to 3k$ though. Or buy a built head and short block same time have them assemble it so basically a built long block for about 6k$ and then install should be around 2.5k$ Or learn to do the work yourself and really save money.

I'm mentally prepared to dump the car for 10k lol. Any less, I would probably risk it and keep driving. Think it could fetch 7-8k in non-running condition? It would be a decent base for a project car I assume

maslin 07-04-2019 07:20 PM

A car without an engine is like $2500 tops. Dead cars aren’t worth money.

Get it fixed and trade it in. Dealers don’t care how many engines it’s had. Trade and move on. 10-12k is probably all it’s worth on trade. You can buy a low low miles used 18 for under 20k, a 2015 with relatively high miles isn’t going to be anywhere near that.

2017 PP series.yellow with 10k miles for 18.5. Sadly, our cars don’t hold value. Gotta have fun while they last, they aren’t an investment.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1141/overview/

CoolHandMoss 07-04-2019 07:42 PM

If you do get it replaced under warranty, ask for an extended warranty for the new engine whether you intend to keep it or not. If you can get one out of them it would help resale.

86MLR 07-04-2019 09:53 PM

Why are your engines dying?

Poor fuel

Not warming it up

Lots of limiter

Every effect does have a cause, find the cause to stop the effect

guanqi89 07-05-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3233736)
Why are your engines dying?

Poor fuel

Not warming it up

Lots of limiter

Every effect does have a cause, find the cause to stop the effect

On my old engine (from new to first replacement). I have driven it enthusiastically with 4 or 5 track days. Otherwise, the car is maintained on schedule, good fuel (shell V power stuff).

But I more or less babied the thing since the last short block replacement. Really not sure what it could be...

evoto86 07-05-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guanqi89 (Post 3233824)
On my old engine (from new to first replacement). I have driven it enthusiastically with 4 or 5 track days. Otherwise, the car is maintained on schedule, good fuel (shell V power stuff).

But I more or less babied the thing since the last short block replacement. Really not sure what it could be...

Did you get it re-tuned or reflashed when you changed the short block ?

Lantanafrs2 07-05-2019 12:02 PM

See if they warranty it again before making any decisions. In my case they replaced long block after their short block failed.

86MLR 07-05-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3233851)
See if they warranty it again before making any decisions. In my case they replaced long block after their short block failed.

This, long block, but.....

If you lunch a engine bits of metal can end up eveywhere.

If you don't strip, clean, and resemble the whole engine and replace some of the auxiliaries you can be in for a world of hurt.

Replacing oil lines/coolers, radiators may/will be necessary depending on initial damage.

Impureclient 07-05-2019 07:13 PM

If it ends up $3k engine+ $2k labor then compare that to what will you lose when trading it in.
If the are really close then it seems a safer bet that you won't go through a 3rd engine and I'd just keep it.

I kind of went through a similar situation with my prior car but all 3, yes on 4th engine now, were outside warranty.
I have had the car for more than 20 years now(son now drives it) so even after all those engines in and out,
I still was better off keeping it since adding it all up it works out to be only a little over $1k each year I spent for over
20 years of it in service.
It was also a $1k engine and no more than $1k labor each time though. The second one I installed myself
and when that one went, I was just lazy and didn't want to do it on #3 and #4.

If my FRS started doing the same, I would probably just replace engines until I am done with the car and
basing that off of the other one, will be a while. If you take care of the car and it's just the engine popping,
keeping it seems to make more financial sense unless it gets out of hand. If the inconvenience of not having the
car while it's being repaired can't be endured due to lost time/work/stress, then set it free into the wild where it
can find a new owner.

mav1178 07-05-2019 08:15 PM

OP needs to clarify what currency to use.

OP is from Canada. Half the responses are probably in USD. There's quite a gap in value...

Impureclient 07-05-2019 09:14 PM

I was quoting using schmeckles.