Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   asked dealer service manager about aftermarket/warranty (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21001)

NuckinFutsFR-S 10-29-2012 11:02 PM

asked dealer service manager about aftermarket/warranty

So I went and asked the toyota dealer service manager if aftermarket (non TRD) would void warranty......it will. It will void the entire warranty. TRD parts of course will not void it, They are fully covered even if and when you have a malfunction with them. Just FYI. Laterz!

86_ZN6 10-29-2012 11:04 PM

lol! that dealership is a joke!

find a better dealership! :thumbsup:

iv been doing warranty claims left and right and my car is modified from top to bottom

kendalldwhite 10-29-2012 11:07 PM

Mine will install any part under warranty as long as my dealership installs it. Including turbo

86 FRS 10-29-2012 11:09 PM

lol. they just saying that to sell their TRD stuffs :bonk:

seriously tho, find a better dealership.

YourFearlessLeader 10-29-2012 11:10 PM

SMH. Does your research end there?

Mitch 10-29-2012 11:11 PM

Magnuson-Moss Act. Unless the aftermarket part in question can reasonably bexpected to have contributed in the failure of a warrantied component, the warranty must still be honored. Camber plates won't cause the engine to drop a valve, an exhaust won't cause the headliner to sag, and a short shifter kit won't make your power steering rack give out.

fistpoint 10-30-2012 05:53 AM

Lol, a classic example of: "anything we don't SELL...voids warranty".

jadewbj 10-30-2012 08:58 AM

You:
My waterpump went out, i need it replaced under warranty.

Dealer:
We are sorry but you voided your warranty with your coilovers.

You:
Huh????

jesperswe 10-30-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadewbj (Post 528105)
You:

Dealer:

You:
Huh????

Haha that would be really fucked up.:D

jadewbj 10-30-2012 12:51 PM

After getting my crickets removed I can say that my dealer is mod friendly.

All the reps were excited about the wheels and coils and made no mention of there being an issue with my repair due to my mods.

Heck they are even installing non TRD parts in the service center. They have done a Isis exhaust and a greddy intake already.

Eurasianman 10-30-2012 01:15 PM

*insert facepalm*

Different dealerships will accept/decline warranty work based on if the vehicle is modified or not. I had a manufacturer try and void my warranty claim on something that was very irrelevant. In my case, I had after market rims that were of the same dimensions of the factory rims, yet the manufacturer tried to tell me that because of the rims, I was encountering this certain issue. Well, guess what, my issue was present before the aftermarket rims were on the vehicle and documented by the dealership/service department. Yea, the manufacturer shut up after wards about my aftermarket rims.

frs23 10-30-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurasianman (Post 528558)
*insert facepalm*

Different dealerships will accept/decline warranty work based on if the vehicle is modified or not. I had a manufacturer try and void my warranty claim on something that was very irrelevant. In my case, I had after market rims that were of the same dimensions of the factory rims, yet the manufacturer tried to tell me that because of the rims, I was encountering this certain issue. Well, guess what, my issue was present before the aftermarket rims were on the vehicle and documented by the dealership/service department. Yea, the manufacturer shut up after wards about my aftermarket rims.

Sad you had to resort to such documentation.

ichitaka05 10-30-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurasianman (Post 528558)
*insert facepalm*

That's when you tell the dealer "let me talk w my lawyer & local news media for this fraud BS you guys do."

dsgerbc 10-30-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadewbj (Post 528105)
You:

Dealer:

You:
Huh????

Easy. Vibrations beyond factory tolerance (due to coilovers) killed it.

In general, MM act applies if replacement parts are done to OEM spec. If not - it does not apply.