Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will you wait for the second model year to purchase your 86? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50)

JesseG 09-03-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3364264)
I'm regret this necro. I swear I'll never do it again. (at least this month)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Look what you’ve done! [emoji51] I hope you’re proud of yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p1l0t 09-04-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 3364147)
I think that sums it up really well, the parent company and dealer play hot potato and the customer ends up getting screwed. It’s just a crappy system in general. And I’m sure the majority of FR-S/BRZ owners that decided (or were forced to in California) didn’t have any problems after the repair. A bunch of owners outside of CA probably didn’t even get the recall done. Possibly in fear of engine failure. Let’s be honest, a lot of dealerships would wash their hands of the repair after they attempt the fix. Any problems after that the customer will likely pay for (because T/S wouldn’t pay them to do the repair again).

"So then it's nobody's car..."

https://youtu.be/6hxOoM0-NJI

Tcoat 09-04-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 3364288)
Any owner who filed a lawsuit and didn't name S/T in addition to the dealer should fire their attorney. Seriously. Also wouldn't have to be a full replacement of the engine. There are other ways to pressure dealers to do the right thing or otherwise help the affected owners.

In addition to yes. Instead of no.

It may come across that I am defending the manufacturers but I assure you that is not the case. I am simply trying to convey the message that going after them is a losing proposition since they have many legal buffers built in between them and the dealers. As rational as it may seem to say that they SHOULD be responsible it just isn't the reality of the situation and trying to change that is just pissing into the wind.

Tcoat 09-04-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 3364419)
Look what you’ve done! [emoji51] I hope you’re proud of yourself

We have been down this road many times in the recall threads so it isn't new.

Tcoat 09-04-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 3364418)
I do believe they care, we probably wouldn’t even have the twins if they didn’t. I think Toyota takes quality control issues very seriously, part of their reputation is built on reliability. It’s unfortunate how some of the early issues were handled though. It may have been handled a little differently if it was strictly a Toyota product. Were the valves and head tuned by Yamaha?
I totally understand being hesitant about getting a first year 2nd gen 86, or any S/T product. Confidence in a brand can be lost quickly, especially if it causes any financial burden. You’ve had a great attitude about it all, and I hope you continue to support the 86/BRZ.

The early issues were handled fine for most people.
Toyota would have done the same.
The internet makes small groups of people with problems seem like the majority. Most owners have had trouble free experiences.
There is no such thing as a bullet proof car no matter what people may say.

p1l0t 09-04-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3364533)

...The internet makes small groups of people with problems seem like the majority...

So does the media as of late...

Tcoat 09-04-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3364541)
So does the media as of late...

Unfortunately the media is more internet driven every year. It is hard for them to remain objective when competing with ever nutcase and self proclaimed expert with a blog or social media account takes away their viewing time.

Dadhawk 09-04-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Well, there is, but it's not exactly a light sports car....

https://i0.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-con...68%2C460&ssl=1

DarkSunrise 09-04-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3364530)
In addition to yes. Instead of no.

It may come across that I am defending the manufacturers but I assure you that is not the case. I am simply trying to convey the message that going after them is a losing proposition since they have many legal buffers built in between them and the dealers. As rational as it may seem to say that they SHOULD be responsible it just isn't the reality of the situation and trying to change that is just pissing into the wind.

Yep I agree on most of that. Legally, I would say they are clearly second to the dealerships in liability. But legal obligation is also different than ethical. And forcing some owners to do a recall through their dealerships without going to bat for them when those recalls blew up owners' engines was a shitty thing to do.

Sasquachulator 09-04-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3364570)
Well, there is, but it's not exactly a light sports car....

https://i0.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-con...68%2C460&ssl=1

that thing weighs like 10,000 lbs....

They could easily shed weight while maintaining the safety cocoon....
They could reduce the amount of material they need by overlapping plates together like dragonscale armor....use ballistics gel in the gaps.

And twin turbo the engine (which im assuming is some heavy duty tank engine) and get another 1000lb ft of torque

Cmon, I should be designing this thing cuz its so damn easy...

p1l0t 09-04-2020 04:48 PM

Must be a bitch to insure.

Tcoat 09-04-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3364601)
Must be a bitch to insure.

And the passengers would frequently be a pain in the ass

p1l0t 09-04-2020 05:07 PM

Pretty sure those lights would be purple though... so tired of the disinformation.

JesseG 09-04-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

The early issues were handled fine for most people.
Toyota would have done the same.
The internet makes small groups of people with problems seem like the majority. Most owners have had trouble free experiences.

You would know better about the early issues. I guess after the initial confusion everything got sorted out quickly. Do you remember how quickly the valve issue was “discovered”?
Yeah I think the twins have proven to be very reliable, with some quirks. [emoji6]