Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hose from air intake (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145653)

Sur 06-09-2021 07:45 PM

Hose from air intake

So the previous owner of my FR-S blocked the hose with a clamp and a rubber fitting that goes out of the air box on my intake. Not sure it that makes sense. But my question is, is this what my car sounds way louder than other FR-S? I don’t mind the sound because it sounds really deep but wondering if other are doing this? Should I buy a cold air intake and use that or keep it the way it is now? Just curious if others have done this or is it something I should change? I can post a pic if my question is not clear. Thanks in advance

Tcoat 06-09-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440248)
So the previous owner of my FR-S blocked the hose with a clamp and a rubber fitting that goes out of the air box on my intake. Not sure it that makes sense. But my question is, is this what my car sounds way louder than other FR-S? I don’t mind the sound because it sounds really deep but wondering if other are doing this? Should I buy a cold air intake and use that or keep it the way it is now? Just curious if others have done this or is it something I should change? I can post a pic if my question is not clear. Thanks in advance

They blocked off the sound generator tube that pumps intake noise into the cabin Probably happens within the first week of owning the car for about 95% of the buyers. It actually makes it quieter in the cabin not louder. Odds are you have an aftermarket exhaust and header and that is why the car is louder

Sur 06-09-2021 10:06 PM

Yes I would have to say the cabin is pretty quiet even with the outside growling. And I think you are correct, I can tell the exhaust is aftermarket, one of the pipes sticks out like a half inch more than the other. At least I know most other owners do this, I won’t worry then. I appreciate the info my dude. It’s got Cusco upper strut and rear upper strut, and it looks like the header might be aftermarket as well. Been trying to find what a stock header looks like for the 13’ but I can’t get a definite picture to confirm yet

humfrz 06-10-2021 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440283)
Yes I would have to say the cabin is pretty quiet even with the outside growling. And I think you are correct, I can tell the exhaust is aftermarket, one of the pipes sticks out like a half inch more than the other. At least I know most other owners do this, I won’t worry then. I appreciate the info my dude. It’s got Cusco upper strut and rear upper strut, and it looks like the header might be aftermarket as well. Been trying to find what a stock header looks like for the 13’ but I can’t get a definite picture to confirm yet

Looks sorta like this.

;)

Sur 06-10-2021 01:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So mine is definitely not stock then. I don’t know how to post a picture here but mine is not one piece like that, it is twisting multiple pipes

They also have a bronze brass copper look to them. Not sure it that is bad or good yet!

humfrz 06-10-2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440325)
So mine is definitely not stock then. I don’t know how to post a picture here but mine is not one piece like that, it is twisting multiple pipes

They also have a bronze brass copper look to them. Not sure it that is bad or good yet!

Well, the stock header is "twisted metal pipes" under the heat shield. I suggest you either search for pictures of after market headers on the internet or take a picture of yours and post it, asking if anyone can ID it.

When you search, I suggest you use google and preface your search criteria with "ft86club" (sans the quotes).

To post a picture make a post then scroll down and punch the button "manage attachments".. Then choose a picture file and upload it.

Thar ya go - :thumbsup:

Sur 06-10-2021 01:37 AM

Thanks , I figured it out and posted a picture above of mine and some I found online that look pretty close just mine are either discolored and need to be replaced or just brass or bronze and the once I found are stainless or something

humfrz 06-10-2021 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440339)
Thanks , I figured it out and posted a picture above of mine and some I found online that look pretty close just mine are either discolored and need to be replaced or just brass or bronze and the once I found are stainless or something

Well, most all FR-S headers are made of stainless steel and are bright and shiny when new. Most of them will turn a brass/bronze color after they have been heated up. Nothing wrong with that and your header is just fine if it doesn't leak.

So, just look around the internet till you find one that looks like yours.

Sur 06-10-2021 01:48 AM

Great. Sounds good. I appreciate your help. Thank you

humfrz 06-10-2021 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440339)

There is another member that lives in your town that has an FR-S that you may contact if you need a second pair of eyes on something.

I'll summon him up for you, his handle is @Ultramaroon. He is a BIG guy, so don't piss him off, but he can be helpful and friendly ...... unless he is in one of his ..."moods" - :eyebulge:

:D

Sur 06-10-2021 01:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Haha. I have no issue with that, I’m a pretty chill person. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I found a pretty good match. Bends are the same and weld spots too.

Last one is much closer Tomei

Ultramaroon 06-10-2021 03:51 PM

Glad I could help

NoHaveMSG 06-10-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur (Post 3440348)
Haha. I have no issue with that, I’m a pretty chill person. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I found a pretty good match. Bends are the same and weld spots too.

Last one is much closer Tomei

Most likely is a Tomei or Gruppe-S.

Sur 06-10-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3440544)
Most likely is a Tomei or Gruppe-S.

Yea I was thinking tomei after I found the picture. Actually they both look identical. In any case I would think it’s safe to say it isn’t stock. Thanks for the confirmation