Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Throw out bearing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115573)

Hyp 02-14-2017 11:58 AM

Throw out bearing

My throw out bearing started squeaking and only had the car for 2 years. Do you guys have any recommendations on which subaru dealership to go to in the bay to have it replaced under warranty?

gramicci101 02-14-2017 12:00 PM

It's a wearing part, and you've had it for two years. They won't replace it under warranty unless it very obviously broke due to a material defect and not merely wear from usage.

Hyp 02-14-2017 12:03 PM

Was afraid of that. Been quoted around $500 at shops for the replacement.

gramicci101 02-14-2017 12:16 PM

Before you do that, do some reading around here first. Squeaking throw out bearings are not uncommon, so it's helpful to see what others have done to address the problem. One potential cause is the clutch fork flexing under load. Velox has made a billet clutch fork to address that issue, and people report that it seems to have fixed their problem. Others have reported that simply regreasing the fork, bearing, and pivot point helped greatly, at much lower cost.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104963
@Ultramaroon, @humfrz, thoughts?

The Racers Line 02-14-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyp (Post 2852793)
Was afraid of that. Been quoted around $500 at shops for the replacement.

I charge:
$360 Labor
$20 TOB
*optional* $189 for the Velox clutch fork, to make sure it doesn't happen pre-maturely again.

The TOB failure on these cars is incredibly common, as well as many other Subaru's. From my experience it is best to take care of it ASAP, as full blown bearing failure can damage the clutch assembly and front input shaft cover of the transmission.

gramicci101 02-14-2017 12:32 PM

Thanks, Neal.

humfrz 02-14-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyp (Post 2852783)
My throw out bearing started squeaking and only had the car for 2 years. Do you guys have any recommendations on which subaru dealership to go to in the bay to have it replaced under warranty?

Welcome to ..... The Forum, there Hyp ......... :clap:

So, you car has a squeak in the clutch system.

First off, please tell us more about this squeak.

* how many miles on your car ?

* does it just squeak when you depress or let up on the clutch ?

* or does it squeak/squeal continually when the clutch is depressed ?

* or does it squeak/squeal while the clutch is not depressed, but the engine is running ?

* is the sound more of a squeak or a squeal ?

Come back.

humfrz

Ultramaroon 02-14-2017 01:47 PM

I'm following along and agree with @humfrz' questions. We need to know if the squeak is coming from the fork pivots (while the clutch pedal is moving), or the actual TOB.

Hyp 02-15-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2852835)
Welcome to ..... The Forum, there Hyp ......... :clap:

So, you car has a squeak in the clutch system.

First off, please tell us more about this squeak.

* how many miles on your car ?

* does it just squeak when you depress or let up on the clutch ?

* or does it squeak/squeal continually when the clutch is depressed ?

* or does it squeak/squeal while the clutch is not depressed, but the engine is running ?

* is the sound more of a squeak or a squeal ?

Come back.

humfrz

So my car has 20k on it. When I wake up in the morning to go to work clutch makes no noise at all when egaging the pedal. But after driving say 15 min when I engage the pedal all the way down you hear a loud squeak. When releasing the clutch you hear the squeak. I only hear the squeak when I engage the clutch passed 70%. Makes no noise when im on neutral. Found this video on YouTube and mine makes the same exact sound https://youtu.be/GUTZj7VJB0I

Thanks for the help everyone!

humfrz 02-15-2017 01:44 AM

Well, if it squeaks and the engine is NOT running, it's NOT the TOB.

So, if it squeaks, regardless of whether or not the engine is running, it's most likely a dry clutch release arm (clutch fork).

I understand it can be somewhat greased by sneaking past the rubber boot and stuffing some grease on the end of the arm (at the joint where the clutch slave cylinder arm contacts the clutch release arm or clutch fork).

@Ultramaroon will be along shortly to explain how to do that.

humfrz

Ultramaroon 02-15-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyp (Post 2853371)
Found this video on YouTube and mine makes the same exact sound https://youtu.be/GUTZj7VJB0I

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah, that's a dry pivot. Annoying but not a sign of imminent failure.

Ultramaroon 02-15-2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2853383)
I understand it can be somewhat greased by sneaking past the rubber boot and stuffing some grease on the end of the arm (at the joint where the clutch slave cylinder arm contacts the clutch release arm or clutch fork).

@Ultramaroon will be along shortly to explain how to do that.

I couldn't find my post where I first explained it. I'll do something tomorrow night. Past my bedtime. Zzzzzzzzzzz...

strat61caster 02-15-2017 12:30 PM

Mine has made that sound for at least two years now, too lazy to do anything about it. Maybe I'll feel industrious someday.

Ultramaroon 02-15-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2853581)
Mine has made that sound for at least two years now, too lazy to do anything about it. Maybe I'll feel industrious someday.

You can swap your clutch slave while you're in there feeling industrious.

...someday.

#ourCars