Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tires (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141389)

Ray B. 07-12-2020 11:46 AM

Tires

Hi everyone,
Can anyone confirm what tires are coming on the 2020’s? Tirerack is still saying the OEM is the primacy, I thought they got rid of those and put proper summer on?

I know the TS has Pilot sports but I’m wondering what the limiteds have.
Thanks

Ps I did try a search :search:

AlexBRZ2 07-12-2020 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my 2020 Limited back in Nov. so still got the factory tires on. They are Michelin Primacy HP 215/45R17.

Ray B. 07-12-2020 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Subaru claims they are summer performance only tires which the primacys definitely are not.. interesting.

JD001 07-12-2020 01:06 PM

I'm really looking forward to ditching my OEM tyres.. this coming Friday the car gets new boots, Goodyear Eagles F1 Asymmetric 5.

Spuds 07-12-2020 01:09 PM

Primacies are summer touring tires. They aren't actually meant for winter temperatures. I think you can now get all season tires as an option.

86prime 07-12-2020 02:08 PM

People actually keep OEM tires? Don't you just throw them away with the dealer license plate frame?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JD001 07-12-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86prime (Post 3348613)
People actually keep OEM tires? Don't you just throw them away with the dealer license plate frame?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I've had some great OEM tyres on past cars.. but mystified by the Twins OEM rubber.. all the bullshit about the OEM rubbers making it playful is nonsense.

Yoshoobaroo 07-12-2020 02:20 PM

Tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3348615)
I've had some great OEM tyres on past cars.. but mystified by the Twins OEM rubber.. all the bullshit about the OEM rubbers making it playful is nonsense.

I think the primacy HPs are fantastic in the summer. They have tons of feedback, they’re super predictable near and over the limit, and their grip level is perfectly adequate for daily driving. They brake hard, straight and true, and I’ve never had an emergency maneuver get compromised by them. And they last a long time for non-eco tires. It took going on stickier tires for a while to appreciate the OEM rubber for what it is.

JD001 07-12-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3348619)
I think the primacy HPs are fantastic in the summer. They have tons of feedback, they’re super predictable near and over the limit, and their grip level is perfectly adequate for daily driving. They brake hard, straight and true, and I’ve never had an emergency maneuver get compromised by them. And they last a long time for non-eco tires. It took going on stickier tires for a while to appreciate the OEM rubber for what it is.

Perhaps the 'American' Primacy is different from the UK version. I never felt confident with them, but then I was going from them to my Exige (A048r).. The UK Prius wears the same OEM rubber and I think that sums them up, great taxi tyres..

alphasaur 07-12-2020 03:38 PM

I thought the OEM tires were decently fun on the street, I never autocrossed with them though. Definitely not a girl to marry, but you can still have a good time.

Ohio Enthusiast 07-12-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3348619)
It took going on stickier tires for a while to appreciate the OEM rubber for what it is.

Could you elaborate on this please? Is this because stickier tires make the car less fun, as some claim?

SUSPECT_BRZ 07-12-2020 04:00 PM

I seriously had a little more fun with the Primacy tires than the Pilot considering I'm not tracking the car...yet. The Pilot are a much better overall tire but for daily driving I personally think the Primacy are a blast.

alphasaur 07-12-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast (Post 3348637)
Could you elaborate on this please? Is this because stickier tires make the car less fun, as some claim?

Sticker tires hold speed much better and allow you to drive far more aggressively without losing traction. The OEMs are pretty forgiving and let you know when you're losing traction which happens at fairly low speeds, which IMO is better for street driving. The car is still really fun with stickier tires though.

N_Raged 07-12-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast (Post 3348637)

The thing people are referring to is being able to throttle oversteer on command. Tires with less grip will require less throttle and less speed to break loose. Even if you're not doing mad drifts in the city, being able to rotate the car under throttle because of this is what makes driving a RWD car fun.

Tires with more grip have higher limits, therefore require more speed and throttle before they break free. This means you have to be more aggressive or going faster to achieve that oversteer or rotation, which is not always safe on public roads.

I have no disagreement with the Primacy HP as a factory tire on such a cheap car. They are appropriate for the car's power and as a daily driven car. I do kind of wish Subaru used the same Dunlop Sport Maxx RT as the WRX factory tire for that extra turn-in sharpness.