Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Toyota Europe's non-announcment announcement about EVs (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143466)

Dadhawk 12-07-2020 02:46 PM

Toyota Europe's non-announcment announcement about EVs

Toyota joins the ranks of saying that any day now, the majority of their line will be electric, starting with, you guessed it, a mid-size SUV for the European market.

Interesting video on the announcement though

And the march continues....

weederr33 12-07-2020 04:49 PM

Not to throw in an endless debate and ethics, but does swapping to a complete line up of EVs REALLY out weight the environmental effects of pollution?

Tcoat 12-07-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3391344)
Not to throw in an endless debate and ethics, but does swapping to a complete line up of EVs REALLY out weight the environmental effects of pollution?

Yes.
Contrary to popular belief the power generation tech is not stuck in 1955.
At least not in Europe
https://m.dw.com/image/46699406_7.png

soundman98 12-07-2020 05:18 PM

every time i hear of the complete about-face to electric power, all i can think of how once smoking had no ill effects...

while electric is currently the best option, i don't like jumping into it with so few long term facts...

Dadhawk 12-07-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3391344)

It's a legitimate question, as is @Tcoat's response.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, I've gone from skeptical to intrigued. My major concern has always been charging infrastructure and times. Those are getting much better.

If I could buy only one car for the next 10 years to service my needs, it would be ICE.

I'm beginning to open up to an EV for my DD though, assuming I keep a "travel and hauling car" which we have always done.

Dadhawk 12-07-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3391356)
every time i hear of the complete about-face to electric power, all i can think of how once smoking had no ill effects...

while electric is currently the best option, i don't like jumping into it with so few long term facts...

I still prefer fuel cells, but that seems like a dead proposition at this point except maybe for large trucks and other transport vehicles.

Irace86.2.0 12-08-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3391379)
I still prefer fuel cells, but that seems like a dead proposition at this point except maybe for large trucks and other transport vehicles.

I think EVs are the future for sure unless materials become some type of bottleneck. Tesla seems to think there is enough to go around, but one reason hydrogen could be adopted is if there isn’t enough materials to go around because they use so much smaller batteries than EVs.

why? 12-08-2020 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3391461)
I think EVs are the future for sure unless materials become some type of bottleneck. Tesla seems to think there is enough to go around, but one reason hydrogen could be adopted is if there isn’t enough materials to go around because they use so much smaller batteries than EVs.

There are not enough materials to go around unless we start mining asteroids and hit pay dirt on a massive one full of rare earth elements. And let's also be clear, the power grid of absolutely no country is ready for even 10% of its population to have ev's, never mind 50% or more.

Wally86 12-08-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3391346)
Yes.
Contrary to popular belief the power generation tech is not stuck in 1955.
At least not in Europe
https://m.dw.com/image/46699406_7.png

You say that but three of these bars are speculative lol.

I'm stoked for EVs as long as they have the type of tech integration that I've experienced in Teslas. It's why my next (second) car will definitely be a Tesla. I've been in bolts/volts/leafs and they're all tiny and trash. When battery tech makes the next big jump, everything will change. Hopefully that'll mean backup cells at home that CAN be powered off of wind/sun like the above graph. But until we get there, we can't regulate and mandate our way there lol.

Sorry for the .04 cents.

Dadhawk 12-08-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally86 (Post 3391501)
You say that but three of these bars are speculative lol.

It's speculative, but there's a relatively good chance those plans are already in place and moving forward. Solar has gotten to the point where it is the least expensive method of producing electricity on a large scale. There is still the issue of production on overcast days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally86 (Post 3391501)
I'm stoked for EVs as long as they have the type of tech integration that I've experienced in Teslas. It's why my next (second) car will definitely be a Tesla.

I'm coming around to it as well, although it won't be a Tesla, mostly for the reason you like them. For Tesla money I'd likely get a Jaguar I-Pace or similar. The good news is we are starting to have real choices.

funwheeldrive 12-08-2020 09:37 AM

Meanwhile I'm busy hoarding 90s Japanese cars so I'm never forced to buy electric. :burnrubber:

Wally86 12-08-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3391503)
I'm coming around to it as well, although it won't be a Tesla, mostly for the reason you like them. For Tesla money I'd likely get a Jaguar I-Pace or similar. The good news is we are starting to have real choices.

Same price, half the range? Meh. :bonk:

Dadhawk 12-08-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally86 (Post 3391524)
Same price, half the range? Meh. :bonk:

What Tesla has a near 500 mile range in that price range?

Wally86 12-08-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3391541)
What Tesla has a near 500 mile range in that price range?

Model S is 80k for 410mi range.

EDIT: Heck, the model 3 is 47k for 360mi range.