Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Yet another brake pad thread (Street) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150786)

SpeBud07 08-08-2022 09:40 AM

Yet another brake pad thread (Street)

I've got a set of PP brembos waiting to go on and need pads for them. This will be a 90% street/mountain road car and 10% AutoX. I've been looking at pads for the car and am just looking for names to consider in my research.

Hawk HPS, CSG CP ($$$), Stock, EBC, etc?

I want what everyone else wants, low noise, dust, rotor wear, great bite, good when cold, etc, so I know I need to research to see which ones meet the compromises I need to make.

Thanks for any pads to consider.

e_lunatic 08-08-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeBud07 (Post 3540107)
I've got a set of PP brembos waiting to go on and need pads for them. This will be a 90% street/mountain road car and 10% AutoX. I've been looking at pads for the car and am just looking for names to consider in my research.

Hawk HPS, CSG CP ($$$), Stock, EBC, etc?

I want what everyone else wants, low noise, dust, rotor wear, great bite, good when cold, etc, so I know I need to research to see which ones meet the compromises I need to make.

Thanks for any pads to consider.

I've been really happy with my Hawk HPS's. very good stopping power, good in the cold and wet.
They do create much more brake dust than stock obviously which means the wheels need cleaned pretty often. they do squeak more than stock as well but not obnoxious at all either. Ive also been impressed with the pad life. I daily my car and have done some canyon driving and I figured I'd have had to swap pads already but they still have meat on them.

CedN 08-08-2022 12:07 PM

I really enjoy the ds2500, from Swedish winter to track days (only 1-2 events per year, twisty roads). Not much dust or squeel. Many people rate the csg highly, but over here i could buy several sets of ds pads for the price of 1csg set, not sure they last that long so havent tried those.

SpeBud07 08-08-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_lunatic (Post 3540144)
I've been really happy with my Hawk HPS's. very good stopping power, good in the cold and wet.
They do create much more brake dust than stock obviously which means the wheels need cleaned pretty often. they do squeak more than stock as well but not obnoxious at all either. Ive also been impressed with the pad life. I daily my car and have done some canyon driving and I figured I'd have had to swap pads already but they still have meat on them.

I've had them on other street cars before and didn't hate them either. The CSG CP's seem like the best choice, but $720 before tax and shipping is more than I wanted to spend.

Jdmjunkie 08-08-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeBud07 (Post 3540148)
I've had them on other street cars before and didn't hate them either. The CSG CP's seem like the best choice, but $720 before tax and shipping is more than I wanted to spend.

Just remember that CSG pads are thicker than oem style pads and last alot longer. If the CP pads are as good at what they do as the C2 pads are, they are worth the money.

strat61caster 08-08-2022 01:27 PM

You need to balance noise/dust with bite, any sporty street pad that Tirerack sells (stoptech usually) will likely be the least hassle. If I was in your shoes with a mostly stock car and only just dipping my toes in the autox world I'd get whatever higher end Stoptech pad Tirerack recommends for your PP's.

More sport - less street that I've tried:
Carbotech A6 (1521 as a street pad is likely a good option too)
Gloc R6 (GS1 as a street pad)
Ferodo DS2500

I don't like EBC, but some love them, Hawk gets mixed reviews but they're affordable and easily available and some people like 'em. ymmv.

CounterSpace Garage 08-08-2022 01:28 PM

From the list, outside of the CSG CP, everything is just an OE replacement pad that is either equivalent or worse than the pads that came on the Brembo Performance Package. Every "performance" pad option will yield noise and dust - it is inevitable because of the scope the pads are designed for. CP was designed to be a true dual purpose application - effectively providing overhead for some light/intermediate track work on some higher energy road courses, but still has a little dust and relatively low noise compared to any other dual purpose pad.

As you move towards lower noise and lower dust qualities but attempt to maintain a higher performance level, the cost increases exponentially. With that said, the CP, however, packs a punch that is on par with many track specific pads, but still handles street duty with elegance. :thumbup:

Code Monkey 08-08-2022 02:03 PM

Since changing pads on PP Brembos is a piece of cake, I recommend two sets of pads...

SpeBud07 08-08-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code Monkey (Post 3540184)
Since changing pads on PP Brembos is a piece of cake, I recommend two sets of pads...

So which ones for street? The stock pad?

Code Monkey 08-08-2022 02:22 PM

Yep, I would use OEM pads for street.

CounterSpace Garage 10-03-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeBud07 (Post 3540187)
So which ones for street? The stock pad?

Stock is easy.

churchx 10-03-2022 06:17 PM

Except stock pads imho are not exactly cheap (at least for me). So just like with (expensive) stock primacies, once initial set was gone, for street use i got DS2500 (on stock brakes, not brembos, though) even if stock pads would do. (obviously for track/HPDE use they are not upto job, at least with stockers)

autoracer86 10-03-2022 08:02 PM

I just got a set of oem pads for the street. Easy enough