Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   2014 FRS broken valve spring = new motor (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134870)

whip 05-23-2019 06:10 PM

2014 FRS broken valve spring = new motor

Just sharing my experience here because sometimes happy stories are hard to find.

Almost 3 weeks ago my car died by the highway due to a misfire on cylinder 4. After towing it to the dealership they diagnosed the problem as a broken valve spring and started breaking down the motor for repairs. Stock motor other than a Borla UEL and mishimoto intake tube/K&N filter. Got a call today and was informed they couldn’t get all of the necessary parts from Subaru (something about the manufacturer not having stock right now) so they will instead replace my entire engine.
I’d say I got pretty lucky having this happen under warranty and having the dealer swap my motor for a brand new one instead of just fixing mine. The 2014 models are not covered by the recall even though several of them have had valve spring issues. I had my car in the shop last year for about a month due to a camshaft sensor failure and am very happy to see my old, possibly faulty, motor disappear.
Honestly I was thinking about selling my car due to these unexplained and very serious issues, but now I am hoping my warranty will reset on my engine and I can keep it for many years to come. Hopefully nothing else breaks!

RZNT4R 05-23-2019 06:20 PM

You're not going to get a warranty reset on the engine, just the 1 year usual deal you'd get for most replacement parts, like an alternator or brake caliper.

maslin 05-23-2019 06:29 PM

From Toyota:

"I had a part replaced at an authorized Toyota dealership under warranty. What warranty coverage do I have for this part?

The Toyota Service Part Warranty is in effect for 12 months, regardless of mileage, from the date the part was installed on the vehicle, or the remainder of any applicable New Vehicle Limited Warranty, whichever provides greater coverage, with the exception of batteries."

So at least 12 mo unlimited miles. Better than nothing.

Teseo 05-23-2019 06:44 PM

He have some mods, glad they did not take that to denny the warranty

Mr.ac 05-23-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 3220700)
He have some mods, glad they did not take that to denny the warranty

I wouldn't call headers and an air filter mods

Teseo 05-24-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3220721)
I wouldn't call headers and an air filter mods

Some dealers grab whatever they can to deny warranties

alan.chalkley 05-24-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 3220823)
Some dealers grab whatever they can to deny warranties

If my valve springs break , then the dealer will say that the carbon fibre antennae on my roof received a spurious signal from Mars that is known to shatter valve springs.

Tcoat 05-24-2019 09:33 AM

I am more interested in the "several 14s" reference. I Know there were 4 or 5 13s but do not recall hearing about any 14s at all much less several.
In fact failures of stock engines from 14 to 16 are pretty rare overall.

aemravan 05-24-2019 10:04 AM

That's really awesome to hear! Definitely good to see some dealers out there being logical and denying something like a valve spring failure being caused by an exhaust modification.

Ichima 05-24-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aemravan (Post 3220861)
That's really awesome to hear! Definitely good to see some dealers out there being logical and denying something like a valve spring failure being caused by an exhaust modification.

This also happened to me. But Subaru of New England overturned it.
Dealer initially stated my exhaust and suspension (Oem suspension btw) was why I had a motor knock and not the work where they took apart the entire motor to perform the valve spring recall and also my head gaskets.

Die$eL 05-28-2019 04:44 AM

Does anyone have the list of work performed during the recall? Or the actual TSB?

I'm due for the 90 000kms major service which entails plugs etc. Want to see what is included in the recall and what else I can get done while the motor is taking a walk next to the vehicle

Die$eL 05-28-2019 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die$eL (Post 3222002)
Does anyone have the list of work performed during the recall? Or the actual TSB?

I'm due for the 90 000kms major service which entails plugs etc. Want to see what is included in the recall and what else I can get done while the motor is taking a walk next to the vehicle

Its ok, I found it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uUi..._dVLZl_w7/view

whip 05-28-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3220852)
I am more interested in the "several 14s" reference. I Know there were 4 or 5 13s but do not recall hearing about any 14s at all much less several.
In fact failures of stock engines from 14 to 16 are pretty rare overall.

The dealer I spoke to in KY said he had seen some 14s come in with a similar issue. Not sure if he was just saying that to make me feel better or if he has actually done work on the 14s.
Good to hear engine failure is relatively rare on these engines, I love my car and was starting to think it was time to sell it when I had major issue #2 in such a short time frame. Hopefully I get many more years of worry free driving!