Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   eBay Intake Manifold (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138360)

Drifter X 12-31-2019 03:40 AM

eBay Intake Manifold

I was bored and endlessly scrolling through eBay and came across this. Anyone knows anything about this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183891145935

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 12-31-2019 07:25 AM

Looks like a copy of the RacerX intake manifold when it was in a prototype stage.
Probably loses power, sure seems like they have a lot of confidence in it if it's only on ebay and 1 or 2 other random sites.

DarkPira7e 12-31-2019 07:25 AM

I felt so strongly about the above comment, the computer decided to submit my post twice.

venturaII 12-31-2019 08:42 AM

Funny thing about the Chinese ripoff stuff is that it's usually pretty well made. Not well engineered, but well made....there's zero engineering going into them, other than from a manufacturing perspective. Functionally, it's a dice roll. But the welds and machine work all look nice on this. Someone will buy it and say they make 225 NA wheel horsepower with it...:rolleyes:

weederr33 12-31-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venturaII (Post 3287092)
Funny thing about the Chinese ripoff stuff is that it's usually pretty well made. Not well engineered, but well made....there's zero engineering going into them, other than from a manufacturing perspective. Functionally, it's a dice roll. But the welds and machine work all look nice on this. Someone will buy it and say they make 225 NA wheel horsepower with it...:rolleyes:

Hey! That guy was a legend. Pay your respects to his 225 NA dyno and duct tape intake.

Soloside 12-31-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3287096)
Hey! That guy was a legend. Pay your respects to his 225 NA dyno and duct tape intake.

MIKE CINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA

pogofx 12-31-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifter X (Post 3287072)
I was bored and endlessly scrolling through eBay and came across this. Anyone knows anything about this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183891145935

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand, there is little to nothing gained by changing the stock intake on this car if you're NA. The intake was redesigned slightly starting in '17, so I think what you have is about as good as it gets. It flows pretty well.

If you're looking for a different sound, that may be a reason to change. But it may perform worse, if that matters to you. I've seen a lot of pretty awesome looking "hot" air intakes.

The quaility of Ebay can vary. I've seem some stuff better that big brand name and some stuff a lot worse. I agree there is very little, if any, R&D on the cheap Ebay items. But it may be an exact copy of something that had some R&D. That being said, I question how much R&D some of these aftermarket companies actually do. I think most of the time they make something that's just visually appealing. Something where they buyer says, "yeah, I can see that making my car haul ass." Just beacuse something "looks" like it would work good, doesn't mean it does. Look at a '88 Lamborghini Countach. Looks like it would slice through the air like a knife through warm butter. It's actually pretty crappy when it comes to coefficient of drag. Looks can be deceiving.

Teseo 12-31-2019 11:00 AM

When people will realize ebay doesn't produce products/items on its own

churchx 12-31-2019 11:06 AM

normal case of generalizing according common stereotypes. overbroad but gets thought across. Just like with "from China".

PulsarBeeerz 12-31-2019 05:23 PM

Weapon-R IM? Interesting oddity.

soundman98 12-31-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 3287118)
When people will realize ebay doesn't produce products/items on its own

DON'T EVER GO TO _________ TOYOTA DEALERSHIP, THEY KILL PUPPIES, I'M NEVER BUYING A TOYOTA EVER AGAIN.

good thing it only happens with product listed on ebay.

Lantanafrs2 01-01-2020 01:24 PM

You can get the racerx for just a little more than that and you'll at least know what you have

Stomachbuzz 01-01-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3287087)
Looks like a copy of the RacerX intake manifold when it was in a prototype stage.
Probably loses power, sure seems like they have a lot of confidence in it if it's only on ebay and 1 or 2 other random sites.

I thought the exact same thing.
Additionally RacerX went through like 6 different trials (that they released to the public) and it was pretty challenging for them to get any real gains.
The OEM I/M is pretty damn good.

In other words, pretty hard for it to not lose power or muck up the power curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 3287122)
normal case of generalizing according common stereotypes. overbroad but gets thought across. Just like with "from China".

Wait wut? You're saying the same illiterate 16 year old in China doesn't make every single item "made in China"?!

It's actually different people, in different production facilities, in different parts of the country who design things differently?!

Whoaaaaa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3287335)
You can get the racerx for just a little more than that and you'll at least know what you have

Yes.
Theirs was a hair over $800 I believe during the December sale

chojuan30 01-02-2020 09:57 AM

This might be the last piece of the puzzle for strapping a mp-62, non intercooled on e85 for my DD.

I think thats where racer x went wrong. They should have developed a an intake designed to take an oem supercharger to our engines. I would have paid $1000 bucks for it.