Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AT paddle shifters and floor shifter not working (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123162)

areyesFRS 11-06-2017 11:14 AM

AT paddle shifters and floor shifter not working

Hi my auto FRS paddle shifters or floor shifter wont work when put in the "M" option
It will let me down shift using the floor shifter but wont let me upshift when reaching higher speed and rpms.
In rare cases it will engange to upshift after 30 or so attempts.
Paddle shifter not working at all.

KDad2 11-06-2017 11:34 AM

How long have you had the car? Have you done any mods? Will it stay in "M" or does it go back to "D". You might want to check the transmission fluid level.

On the contrary, my paddles work fine, but the gear shift will only shift to a higher gear. The downshift does not work at all. It started going out when the shift boot would get in the way of downshifting. My theory is that some fibers from the synthetic material became trapped inside the mechanism as I could reach in a clean out the inside of the gear shift from the hole that was worn in the gear shift boot. This would help temporarily, but not anymore.

humfrz 11-06-2017 02:05 PM

Welcome to the forum ......:clap:

You might check the AT fuse (which is a 15 amp fuse, in position #16, in the fuse block under the dash).

humfrz

areyesFRS 11-06-2017 02:23 PM

Ive had the car since 2012 its a 2013
has mild mods (intake,headers,exhaust,flexfuel) but the issue started before that.
have not change trany oil since i also checked the fuses and they are goood
it aldo stays in "M" but wont shift up only down and paddles dont do anything

humfrz 11-06-2017 03:02 PM

hmmm........maybe the AT's computer needs to be re-flashed ......:iono:

humfrz

KDad2 11-06-2017 03:34 PM

Mine is the same age. And I have the same mods except for the flexfuel. Sounds like something with the electronics for sure. Have you tried Sport, TSC off, etc and see if there is anything different with the shifting. You haven't added an AT cooler? I believe Mr. Blue had some shifting issues after adding a cooler, but it was because of some 90-degree connectors. I'm really hoping we can figure this out. I'd like to be able to downshift with the gear shift too, but I'm not to concerned since I can still use the paddles.

KDad2 11-27-2017 01:32 PM

Did you ever figure this out? Toyota will warranty the repair of my gear shift so that I can downshift. Covered under powertrain 60k.

KDad2 12-04-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyesFRS (Post 3001127)
Ive had the car since 2012 its a 2013
has mild mods (intake,headers,exhaust,flexfuel) but the issue started before that.
have not change trany oil since i also checked the fuses and they are goood
it aldo stays in "M" but wont shift up only down and paddles dont do anything

Toyota fixed my manual downshift. It was a loose connector.

aaronhimor 01-25-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDad2 (Post 3012288)
Toyota fixed my manual downshift. It was a loose connector.

Hi, I have the same issue, which connector did they end up fixing? Thanks in advance.

KDad2 01-30-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronhimor (Post 3499790)
Hi, I have the same issue, which connector did they end up fixing? Thanks in advance.

They had to replace the entire gear shift. The repair didn't last.