Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Custom Brake Ducting. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9664)

Asterisked Accolade 06-24-2012 11:03 AM

Custom Brake Ducting.

Has anyone ever done their own custom brake ducting? I've done my own custom air intake ducting, and am thinking of doing the same for my brakes. Anyone else thinking of doing this?

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/mi...ling-ducts.jpg

NoVtec 06-24-2012 09:34 PM

I am also planning on doing this!

taosracer 06-24-2012 09:42 PM

Yep, I fabbed brake ducts for my WRX, but kind of doubt that the BRZ will need them unless it gets a lot faster or a lot heavier.

On the WRX I used molded ducts from racer parts wholesale in the fog light openings and 3" ducting from aircraft spruce with some nifty parts for RV waste drains to direct the air at the brakes. Worked great ;)

Vracer111 06-24-2012 10:08 PM

I plan on doing this to my FR-S. I tried it on my Camaro I had but had clearance issues with 3" hose and the wide wheels - Camaro really didn't need it anyways brakes were fine and I could go full stop with them no problem (other than it could actually STOP way to fast, and you literally could come to a stop at a turn if not paying attention!) For the FR-S I will have block-off plates for the ducting as well, for the majority of time when not used on track. FR-S definitely feels like it needs more brakes on track to me - mainly a better pad compound (Hawk HP+ would be my) with cooling would give me the confidence to brake harder on track and not worry about any fading issues.

Asterisked Accolade 06-24-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taosracer (Post 276449)
Yep, I fabbed brake ducts for my WRX, but kind of doubt that the BRZ will need them unless it gets a lot faster or a lot heavier.

On the WRX I used molded ducts from racer parts wholesale in the fog light openings and 3" ducting from aircraft spruce with some nifty parts for RV waste drains to direct the air at the brakes. Worked great ;)

There was a thread recently of a forum member taking his FRS around Tsukuba circuit. The brakes kind of shredded and he had to replace them with a large Big Brake Kit. So, perhaps the stock brakes don't do well with extreme tracking?

Floggin Tires 07-08-2012 10:33 PM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11041

xwd 07-08-2012 10:47 PM

Phil from Element Tuning has run his FR-S In Time Attack events with much larger wheels and had no brake issues. Plenty of others have also run the cars on the track and I haven't read about any brake issues.

fatoni 07-08-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vracer111 (Post 276498)
I plan on doing this to my FR-S. I tried it on my Camaro I had but had clearance issues with 3" hose and the wide wheels - Camaro really didn't need it anyways brakes were fine and I could go full stop with them no problem (other than it could actually STOP way to fast, and you literally could come to a stop at a turn if not paying attention!) For the FR-S I will have block-off plates for the ducting as well, for the majority of time when not used on track. FR-S definitely feels like it needs more brakes on track to me - mainly a better pad compound (Hawk HP+ would be my) with cooling would give me the confidence to brake harder on track and not worry about any fading issues.

ducting like this is going to have no effect on single stop times, distances and street driving pedal feel. its more or less trying to prevent fade over the course of performance driving resulting from temps far above what you would see in the situations you mentioned. compound, fluids, lines and tires are more than enough for the majority of people even in a racing environment

chulooz 07-08-2012 11:23 PM

Although they may not be as effective, deflectors are an easy mod. But im unsure of fitments. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1102wt_1257

Mitch 07-09-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoni (Post 303456)
ducting like this is going to have no effect on single stop times, distances and street driving pedal feel. its more or less trying to prevent fade over the course of performance driving resulting from temps far above what you would see in the situations you mentioned. compound, fluids, lines and tires are more than enough for the majority of people even in a racing environment

Well said. Even autocrossing, this won't be necessary. Should only be explored after extended track use with the standard treatments shows fade.

jamal 07-09-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade (Post 276588)
There was a thread recently of a forum member taking his FRS around Tsukuba circuit. The brakes kind of shredded and he had to replace them with a large Big Brake Kit. So, perhaps the stock brakes don't do well with extreme tracking?

noooooo. The stock PADS don't do well with extreme tracking. The stock brake rotor size is more than big enough for the power and weight of a brz on track.

track_warrior 07-09-2012 02:03 AM

I spoke with derek at rexpeed and he said they are working on some cf ducts.

Vracer111 07-09-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoni (Post 303456)

Ducting is for trying to keep the pads from exceeding their operational temperature range (via cooling down the rotors.) It also helps provide some temperature relief for the wheel bearings and wheels as well (ever touch the wheels after coming off of a track session...HOT!). I'd like to keep my wheel bearings from getting any warmer than they need to be - which is actually one of my main reasons for going with ducting as well (anything to help bleed off heat from the spindle assembly is welcome.) I noticed a change in the FR-S braking behavior during the first run session tracking it and I was only pushing about 90%... so until I get ducting I'm going to take it 'easy' and not brake 100% on track. I like systems that are MORE than adequate for track use, not just barely adequate for track use... All the FR-S needs for track duty brake system upgrades is cooling and a better pad compound - stock fluid held up fine at 90% braking (didn't even need to bleed it at all and I ran 5 sessions ~ 1 hour apart), would probably get a 'known' temperature range brake fluid for 100% braking on track though...

As I mentioned in my first post as well, I would make bumper blockoff plates for the ducting system for use on the street...