Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Difference between 2022 BRZ and GR86 digital gauge clusters (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147839)

timurrrr 12-02-2021 04:57 PM

Difference between 2022 BRZ and GR86 digital gauge clusters

So we've already discussed the different start-up graphics between the BRZ and GR86.

One more thing I noticed is how the oil temperature is shown.
In some of the "first experience with my 2022 BRZ" posts and videos is that people complain that it's hard to tell what the oil temperature is on the graphical gauge. Which was surprising, given that many early reviews of GR86 had a numerical gauge for it. As an example, in this video at 8:05 you can see the oil temp in the top left going from 95ºC to 99ºC in a matter of seconds (lol):

https://youtu.be/eUoVCgD1aOU?t=485

Now that both the BRZ owner's manual and the GR86 owner's manual are out, I was curious if the digital cluster modes are different.

Looks like they are!

According to the GR86 manual, once you enable TRACK mode, the left third of the display will show you coolant and oil temps with numerical gauges, as well as current and fastest laps:

https://i.imgur.com/HeRegMO.png

Whereas the BRZ manual doesn't show such a screen anywhere. Not available?

https://i.imgur.com/GKusQzu.png

It's interesting to note that the BRZ manual has a section called "Exclusive content for Subaru BRZ", which lists the exact same things as the "Sport information" in the GR86 manual.
What exactly did they mean by "exclusive"? :bonk:

Pete 12-02-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3486116)
Whereas the BRZ manual doesn't show such a screen anywhere. Not available?

True story, I just put it in track mode and checked the options and the only oil temp reading I saw was the bar graph style.

Quote:

Exclusive to anyone who buys a...twin. :laughabove:

tenderization 12-02-2021 06:07 PM

I actually miss the "engine cold" idiot light in my Mazda3 a bit because sometimes I just want to be an idiot and have the car tell me if it's warmed up or not rather than trying to infer that from the combination of coolant and oil temps.

Pete 12-02-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenderization (Post 3486145)
I actually miss the "engine cold" idiot light in my Mazda3 a bit because sometimes I just want to be an idiot and have the car tell me if it's warmed up or not rather than trying to infer that from the combination of coolant and oil temps.

The new car has that. There's a little blue light on the dash until it's warmed up.

Interceptor777 12-02-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 3486152)
The new car has that. There's a little blue light on the dash until it's warmed up.

That's just for coolant though, I think he is asking for an oil one.

eyeballs 12-03-2021 12:08 AM

That's disappointing. I'd love to have those numerical oil/coolant temp readouts! Someone at toyota deserves a pat on the back for making that change (and conversely someone at subaru needs a kick in the rear for not thinking of that).

MacSpeed 12-03-2021 09:08 AM

Wonder if there's a way for the techs to turn that on with the computer at the dealership.

OkieSnuffBox 12-03-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenderization (Post 3486145)

Yeah, but even once it goes off the car isn't anywhere near warm enough to start beating on.

I used to watch the oil temp gauge in my 135 on the way to work. This is a turbo car where the oil cooler thermostat didn't open until 235. Normal city driving the oil was barely at 165 after 6 miles.

Tcoat 12-03-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

It's interesting to note that the BRZ manual has a section called "Exclusive content for Subaru BRZ", which lists the exact same things as the "Sport information" in the GR86 manual.

Exclusive from the rest of the Subaru lineup. Both Toyota and Subaru like to pretend that the other version doesn't exist so they never compare them officially.

timurrrr 12-03-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3486317)
Exclusive from the rest of the Subaru lineup. Both Toyota and Subaru like to pretend that the other version doesn't exist so they never compare them officially.

Ah! That makes "sense".

timurrrr 01-30-2022 06:31 PM

Just found out that on a GR86 the only mode for the left segment of the display is the one that shows the lap timer. You can't scroll to check the tire pressures the same way you can on the 2022 BRZ :mad0259:

The lap timer requires manually "starting" each lap, so it isn't very useful IMO.

Yoshoobaroo 01-30-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3501020)
Just found out that on a GR86 the only mode for the left segment of the display is the one that shows the lap timer. You can't scroll to check the tire pressures the same way you can on the 2022 BRZ :mad0259:

The lap timer requires manually "starting" each lap, so it isn't very useful IMO.

No way, that can’t be right

dreamwonder 01-30-2022 08:36 PM

I can confirm that the GR86 do indeed show a numbered oil temp. It was one of the reasons I picked it over the BRZ aside from the bumper.

Some observations:
Highway cruising temp in 6th gear is 193F ish.
Highway cruising temp in 5th gear is 205F ish.
Keeping it above 5k rpm on the highway for 15sec raises temps to 224F ish.

Yoshoobaroo 01-30-2022 08:49 PM

Difference between 2022 BRZ and GR86 digital gauge clusters

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwonder (Post 3501040)
I can confirm that the GR86 do indeed show a numbered oil temp. It was one of the reasons I picked it over the BRZ aside from the bumper.

Some observations:
Highway cruising temp in 6th gear is 193F ish.
Highway cruising temp in 5th gear is 205F ish.
Keeping it above 5k rpm on the highway for 15sec raises temps to 224F ish.

Ehh. Knowing the exact number isn’t necessary. Being able to quickly tell at a glance that the temp isn’t too high or too low is far more important.