Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Custom Tow-Hook Bike Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29963)

Xdragonxb0i 02-28-2013 12:16 AM

should be moved to the DIY. Thumbs UP! i want to do this but for a trailer hitch

that_guy 02-28-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campy (Post 762386)
I always wondered if you'd be able to do something like this with a set of wheels instead of a bike.

Also that's a sweet parking spot. You don't have to worry about someone sideswiping your car or opening their door into it.

That's exactly why I got the spot... :)

Depends on weight allowance, but that's hard to determine. Lets say your track wheels weigh $100, could the hooks support that load and all the forces that would be applied while driving? Maybe, but I can't say. I made these as heavy duty as I could, but I wont put more than 50lbs on mine even though a tire trailer would be killer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i (Post 762502)
should be moved to the DIY. Thumbs UP! i want to do this but for a trailer hitch

It can probably be done. Just need to weld a plate between the two bars and utilize that as your hitch. The ends could be hollow bar so they can slip over the rods. I'm sure someone could get creative and design something...go for it!

Foobar 02-28-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that_guy (Post 762056)
I'm in Canada.

But your right, worth looking into for those concerned. I'm not concerned myself though.

Right on - didn't see your Canada location when I replied as I was on the Tapatalk mobile app. My bad!

In any event, does Canada not have any laws pertaining to blocking of the rear plate?

Edit: might be just Ontario, but check out Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H. 8. Could also just be a BS law to generate revenue, not sure if the cops up there would actually pull you over for it or just harass you for it as a secondary violation.

that_guy 02-28-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foobar (Post 762922)
Right on - didn't see your Canada location when I replied as I was on the Tapatalk mobile app. My bad!

In any event, does Canada not have any laws pertaining to blocking of the rear plate?

Edit: might be just Ontario, but check out Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H. 8. Could also just be a BS law to generate revenue, not sure if the cops up there would actually pull you over for it or just harass you for it as a secondary violation.

No worries! As I said, your point is completely valid and I was simply being ignorant to the fact that laws might exist up here. As you've pointed out, there are acts that are in place, but they likely wont be enforced. I could always thread the end of one of the rods to insert the plate onto but personally, I'm going to risk it this time ;)

Thanks for pulling some stuff on this. Helpful for others that are thinking about this type of rack!

Tintiot 02-28-2013 10:08 AM

this is the solution for me, better than putting it on the roof and scratch the paint. let me know how it works.

gily25 02-28-2013 11:45 AM

I'd bet it looks a lot sturdier with a smaller bicycle on it. This is def. a good option for those who are trying to convice their wives you can have a kid and a sports car.

rallysrt 02-28-2013 05:21 PM

Very nice rack. I've got a couple of things I'd like to mount to the hooks as well. Are you willing to ship your spare mounts to AB?

that_guy 02-28-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallysrt (Post 763973)
Very nice rack. I've got a couple of things I'd like to mount to the hooks as well. Are you willing to ship your spare mounts to AB?

Definitely! Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details.

marky 02-28-2013 10:16 PM

nice... got to improvise some how some way :thumbsup: i miss riding trails :( i was so fit.. now if i run 100 yards im so tired

jstans84 02-28-2013 10:17 PM

Make one that can hold a Honda Ruckus! lol

that_guy 03-01-2013 09:25 AM

^Haha. I feel the same when riding. Seems like a great idea until I start pedalling...

Just an update for those wondering, I'll be road testing this hopefully next week. This week has been crazy busy for me and the weather has been the pits. Since I store my bike in our condo, I don't want to get it too dirty unless it's actually going out on a ride.

Weather permitting, I'll try to get a GoPro vid of it on the back to show movement (or lack of).

Stay tuned and thanks again to everyone for all the comments.

PS. I've responded to all PM's on the spare kits.

EsoBOFH 03-21-2013 02:50 PM

Creative!

Creative.. nice use of the tow hooks!

With a light bike, I wouldn't be too worried, but the engineer geek in me, screams "needs triangulation" - a bracket from the bars down to the frame would be a good idea.

SmsAlSuwaidi 03-21-2013 03:01 PM

or a few straps running from the trunk to the frame just to provide some support might be helpful too !

QuikSilveRX-8 03-21-2013 03:30 PM

could you make a pair of bars with a thread pitch of M20 x 2.0 instead of an M16 x 1.5?