Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Custom Tow-Hook Bike Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29963)

Quentin 07-06-2014 10:43 PM

Yeah, that doesn't look super secure with the gripper that close to the bottom bracket. My Thule Big Mouth usually clamps my 29er's on the upper half of the midpoint on the down tube. I was never really pleased with that setup, either, though.

pom 07-07-2014 09:04 AM

yeah that was exactly my thought, i might buy the yakima frontloader

FRSToyota86 07-08-2014 11:18 AM

This is awesome :)

Warex 07-15-2014 12:52 AM

Is the 1UP the only bike rack that will perfectly center the bike in between the bars?

It looks like lost of the Thule or Yakima racks tend to have the front bar almost directly under the front wheel which shifts the whole bike to one side of the car.

SOAZ 08-05-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that_guy (Post 1800688)
Sounds like 1UP changed the dimensions of the lower bracket because there is 4-5mm of space on mine where they fit into the channel. If I run another batch, I'll be sure to make an adjustment to the dimensions. Thanks for pointing this out guys!

If you do another batch, I'd be in. :)

that_guy 08-25-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warex (Post 1846529)
Is the 1UP the only bike rack that will perfectly center the bike in between the bars?

It looks like lost of the Thule or Yakima racks tend to have the front bar almost directly under the front wheel which shifts the whole bike to one side of the car.

I think by design the 1UP is more flexible, especially since it connects in the same way to both the front and rear wheels. Other brands force the bike into a predetermined cradle and it's that reason that the bike does not sit center on the back of the car. Also, remember that these are all supposed to be for roof rack application. The overhang of the back wheel on some kits could be by design for weight distribution over the top of the car. The 1UP roof rack can be adapted into a hitch design if needed by 1UP, which gives you the flexibility to mount however you see fit.

I have both the roof rack and hitch mount for my cars. Not one single issue to this date. I don't work for them but man do I love their rack!

pixel86 08-25-2014 11:21 AM

@that_guy any plans for another batch in the near future?

snodgrass 08-25-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixel86 (Post 1915613)

I'd be in, too!

that_guy 08-26-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixel86 (Post 1915613)

Possibly. I've been mulling over an idea presented to me via a forum member here to offer them through an ebay store or something similar. It's extremely difficult to arrange everything through email and PM here on the forums, so this might be the better option. Production isn't an issue, it's the time it takes to process everyone.

Probably looking at end of 2014 or early 2015 though. I'm still recovering financially from moving into a new house and trying to keep the FR-S funded as it sits in the garage. I know, first world problems.

Stay tuned and to those who have come up with their own clever variations, keep them coming!

pixel86 08-26-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by that_guy (Post 1917245)
Possibly. I've been mulling over an idea presented to me via a forum member here to offer them through an ebay store or something similar. It's extremely difficult to arrange everything through email and PM here on the forums, so this might be the better option. Production isn't an issue, it's the time it takes to process everyone.

Probably looking at end of 2014 or early 2015 though. I'm still recovering financially from moving into a new house and trying to keep the FR-S funded as it sits in the garage. I know, first world problems.

Stay tuned and to those who have come up with their own clever variations, keep them coming!

Ok awesome will look forward to it! thread subscribed. I'm in the same boat, just bought a house so mods on the FR-S currently on the hold but definitely need something to take my bike around vs putting it in the trunk.

Thanks again man!
:thanks:

toyokid 09-06-2014 08:50 AM

I would like some.

Thanks

JustDrive 09-26-2014 06:15 PM

Definitely interested as well. My car and my bike are my two babies. But I hate to see one get dirty because of the other. Looks like an awesome design. Thanks for building them.

ollepellijeff 09-29-2014 04:28 PM

I'd buy a set as well if you make another batch. An alternative to manage the purchases and billing etc would be to put it on Kickstarter. They charge a five percent haircut on the funds but perhaps worth it.

that_guy 10-15-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollepellijeff (Post 1965146)
I'd buy a set as well if you make another batch. An alternative to manage the purchases and billing etc would be to put it on Kickstarter. They charge a five percent haircut on the funds but perhaps worth it.

That's an idea. I'll have to look into it. I've been kind of doing it on the side, taking payments until I have enough and then making an order. But my whole goal is to have a little stock so that when you guys want them, it's not a month later you receive them. I even studied using different suppliers and materials earlier this year, but in the end, what and who I was using was the fastest, strongest, longest lasting, and lowest cost option in Canada.

Stay tuned guys and thanks for the continued interest. If I can get this to work, I'll run off another batch. Just so everyone is aware, the going rate is $200 CDN plus shipping. I'm trying my best to get that down, but that seems to be where it all comes out after production and shipping to me.