Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mighty Car Mods new Project (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140281)

Guru Woodman 05-11-2020 08:02 AM

Mighty Car Mods new Project

My favourite youtube channel has a new project.
Beside Moog being overly dramatic about the lack of power, this could be an interesting series to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11BwtR83vMI

Yoshoobaroo 05-11-2020 08:37 AM

Coyoda turbo kit? (turbo Yoda designed it)

Westen86 05-11-2020 09:39 AM

I was so excited to see (not an 86) roll in their garage. Huge fan of this channel. The way they made fun of it is funny cuz its all true.

Yoshoobaroo 05-11-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westen86 (Post 3329527)
I was so excited to see (not an 86) roll in their garage. Huge fan of this channel. The way they made fun of it is funny cuz its all true.

They were exaggerating. They purposely stayed in the torque dip when they did their on street pulls. The only revved it to 7000 twice, and never actually went to redline. Not once did they downshift up to ~5000RPM to do a pull.

DarkPira7e 05-11-2020 10:13 AM

I love the satire with this channel, huge fan of the spirit in this channel ( same with Speed Academy). I do agree that they do their best to highlight a specific characteristic and do their best to avoid the workarounds, but that's what makes things interesting.

Just like if you're trying to take a beautiful photo of your car, you wouldn't take photos of it from ugly angles and post those; this is no different. Excited to see where they get with it.

ScoobsMcGee 05-11-2020 10:56 AM

First thought: It was the cheapest 2013 in Sydney despite meticulous service records and no obvious flaws. This could get interesting.

Guru Woodman 05-11-2020 12:03 PM

I'm a long time fan but I felt is was more 'staged and acted' than usual. A bit like how the old Top Gear used to set up a test; first burn a car to the ground and than conclude that it's actually not that bad after all.

The whole 'I hate these cars' 'They have no power' It doesn't accelerate at all' 'The engine sounds like a shit' was a bit over the top imo.
Also the acting during 'accelerating' (while low rev shifting) had me cringing.

disclaimer: I am biased and feel unreasonably defensive when someone disses a twin.

daiheadjai 05-12-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Woodman (Post 3329579)
I'm a long time fan but I felt is was more 'staged and acted' than usual. A bit like how the old Top Gear used to set up a test; first burn a car to the ground and than conclude that it's actually not that bad after all.

The whole 'I hate these cars' 'They have no power' It doesn't accelerate at all' 'The engine sounds like a shit' was a bit over the top imo.
Also the acting during 'accelerating' (while low rev shifting) had me cringing.

disclaimer: I am biased and feel unreasonably defensive when someone disses a twin.

TBF, stock, the engine DOES sound like shit....

Guru Woodman 05-12-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daiheadjai (Post 3330111)
TBF, stock, the engine DOES sound like shit....

Meh, I wouldn't say they sound like shit. I've had cars that sound way worse than a stock twin. I've also had cars that sound much better stock.
There is room for improvement for sure but I think that was the whole point of this platform when they designed it.

BlueWhelan 05-12-2020 03:41 PM

I'll put my vote in the "OEM exhaust is pants" category.

That said, the obvious short shifting under WOT and then claiming it was slow had me like WTF?! Why do you feel the need to tilt the scales for sake of confirmation bias? It doesn't need any help being slow! lol

daiheadjai 05-12-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Woodman (Post 3330124)
Meh, I wouldn't say they sound like shit. I've had cars that sound way worse than a stock twin. I've also had cars that sound much better stock.
There is room for improvement for sure but I think that was the whole point of this platform when they designed it.

I had a Celica GT (with the pedestrian 1ZZ-FE) before my BRZ and that sounded far better than the stock BRZ. It didn't take me long to start looking for aftermarket exhausts and intakes (the latter of which created its own issues).

For a NA car meant to evoke nostalgic memories of pure, revvy NA goodness, the stock engine just doesn't sound pleasing (the rest of the package is great though, don't get me wrong).

Spuds 05-12-2020 05:23 PM

I don't get why everyone makes a big deal of it not being fast.
No it's not fast compared to... What, a Corvette, Supra, GolfR? But I can probably find a lot more slower cars than faster cars on the road. Impreza, Corolla, Civic, Pilot, Accent, Santa Fe, and the list goes on.

Maybe they think it "looks" fast because it vaguely resembles other cars that are faster? The fact that it's small, proportioned properly for an F-R, designed for low drag and roll moment, and looks pleasing to the eye means it's actually a very good car for the purpose of having fun while driving, slipped into (or in many cases under) a market normally reserved for "fast" versions of slower cars.

Compared to cars in it's price range, I would say it's faster than average, slower than a few. Compared to all the other purpose-built sports cars, yes it's slow. But it's also the cheapest modern one you can get less a Miata by my reckoning, which is also not fast.

Yoshoobaroo 05-12-2020 05:35 PM

It should smoke the stock Superturbo unless they cheat.

Breadman 05-12-2020 08:33 PM

you know they are going to boost it and explode the engine