Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would you want a spare tire in your FR-S? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438)

iff2mastamatt 06-16-2011 10:20 PM

Would you want a spare tire in your FR-S?

Most of us seem concerned about the weight of this car, and we are always looking to shed anything in excess for the sake of performance. Would you want a spare tire in your FR-S, or would you prefer another alternative to save the extra lbs.? I believe some Porsches have a tire kit and some "goo", but will that suffice for the weight savings?

Laika 06-16-2011 10:44 PM

I'd be willing to bet almost any amount of money that this thread will somehow make it to page 30 and by then we'll be talking about why the AE86 is so awesome (vs others saying its so awful), why the FT86 won't be all it's cracked up to be, how much better this car would be with a turbo, what "lightweight" really means, Will Smith's daughters' terrible songs, and maybe armageddon.

Sell the car with a spare tire, if you don't like it, get rid of it and put a tire repair kit in it's place. My two cents.

I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth

Midship Runabout 06-16-2011 10:47 PM

No thank you.
And say no to fix a flat!

iff2mastamatt 06-16-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laika (Post 47556)
I'd be willing to bet almost any amount of money that this thread will somehow make it to page 30 and by then we'll be talking about why the AE86 is so awesome (vs others saying its so awful), why the FT86 won't be all it's cracked up to be, how much better this car would be with a turbo, what "lightweight" really means, Will Smith's daughters' terrible songs, and maybe armageddon.

Sell the car with a spare tire, if you don't like it, get rid of it and put a tire repair kit in it's place. My two cents.

I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth I whip my hair back and forth

Or maybe people can discuss the topic. :thumbsup:

Random_Art 06-16-2011 11:20 PM

I'll take a spare. I've had bad experiences with cars that totally shredded the tire to the point where a can of goo would have been laughably pointless. If I really need the weight savings, I can always leave the spare in the truck when I take it to the track.

Dimman 06-16-2011 11:21 PM

I heard tire installers will piss on your grave and curse your unborn children if they have to deal with a goo-'fixed' tire/wheel.

enc0re 06-17-2011 12:04 AM

I don't care whether it has a spare or not because I'm a lazy fuck that'll call roadside assistance every time. Change a wheel with my own two hands? No siree, if my insurance only charges me $1/month for free roadside assistance.

What I do not want however are runflats. So if it means avoiding those on this car I'll happily have a spare.

OldSkoolToys 06-17-2011 01:25 AM

Yes, full size even would be the best (AE86 came with a full size, fyi).

You wanna shave weight by removing simplicities save that for the track, or unless you rrreally don't care about getting stuck if something happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimman
I heard tire installers will piss on your grave and curse your unborn children if they have to deal with a goo-'fixed' tire/wheel.

The policy at the shop I worked at when I changed tires/oil was, if it has fix-a-flat in it, or anything similar, we can not repair the tire. Replace or gtfo.

NESW20 06-17-2011 01:26 AM

i would like a spare. i also don't want runflats.

bofa 06-17-2011 09:31 AM

If I'm shaving weight, over the drive wheels is probably not the place I'd start first. And yeah don't use that fix a flat stuff... tire guys hate it and some charge extra to deal with it.

markitect 06-17-2011 09:41 AM

I have a car with no spare. Since getting it I've had about 1 sidewall puncture per year. I hope they at least give us a place for a spare if we want it.

alexmotrix 06-17-2011 12:46 PM

I want this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGPz80lB-s

RRnold 06-17-2011 01:08 PM

I thought a spare tire was a standard issue but a quick google found that these cars don't come with a spare!

Smart Car
Toyota Sienna
BMW M-Series X-Series
Dodge Challenger
Honda Fit
Pontiac G8
Chevy Corvette

Personally if it came with a donut spare and a jack, I would be ok with that. I usually carry a set of tire plugs in my truck and used those several times in the trails.

Giccin 06-17-2011 01:29 PM

I'd take a spare if I'm going to be driving for long distances away from my home. (15+miles). If its somewhere close that I'll be going most of the time I'd take it out.

Depends on where you're going tbh.