Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Transmission whine (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144187)

Sniepster 02-12-2021 08:29 AM

Transmission whine

So i've had my car for about 4 months now and it hasn't had any problems.

However the car has always had this whine that seems to come from the transmission when it's under load. It literally sounds like i have straight-cut gears, which makes it sometimes fun but at highway speeds kind of annoying.

Is this sound normal? Are our trannies supposed to whine?

Tcoat 02-12-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniepster (Post 3406221)

However the car has always had this whine that seems to come from the transmission when it's under load. It literally sounds like i have straight-cut gears, which makes it sometimes fun but at highway speeds kind of annoying.

Change the TOB and see if the noise changes. These trannys do make noise though. All trannys do but you usually can't hear it through the sound proofing. These have very little covings to muffle the sound so you hear a bit more.

NoHaveMSG 02-12-2021 11:35 AM

Is the car stock? Have you checked it for mods?

Sniepster 02-12-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3406265)
Is the car stock? Have you checked it for mods?

Car is completely stock except for lowering springs. It has also had a transmission oil change at the dealer 10k miles ago so that can be ruled out.

ermax 02-13-2021 08:06 AM

These tranny whine a lot. It’s normal.

churchx 02-13-2021 10:52 AM

Hmm, imho they don't whine that much, if with stock bushings. It's when one starts changing out different bushings for gearbox/transmission/rear subframe & diff to less compliant ones for whatever other NVH unrelated reasons..

Ultramaroon 02-13-2021 10:25 PM

I'll tell my story again.

Back when I had about 12 Kmi on my original pristine transmission, I did a dumb show-off move when a buddy egged me on. It induced some nasty wheel hop and even though I unloaded it as quickly as possible, the damage was done. I heard a teeny whine. In the desire to preserve my original, I immediately swapped in a used transmission. Fuck me! It was a loud whiny bitch right off the bat. Way worse than my first but I just shrugged it off and kept driving for science. I'm now at 60 Kmi and the whine hasn't changed one bit. No worse at all.

I guess what I'm saying is, IMO, they're only super quiet when they're perfect. A little whine is no biggie. Does it bug me? Yeah, but I'm lazy too.

churchx 02-14-2021 04:02 AM

Funny, but some of noises might come not from gearbox itself. For example - some rattle noises may come from loose cap on stock shifter gear knob. And with some less compliant tranny/gearbox/diff bushings one of extra noise source is clutch, that adds it's "voice". Though it usually then comes in chorus with gear whine of gearbox-es first gears.

Decep 02-15-2021 02:32 AM

Mine is quiet under load, but cruising in 6th at 75 mph theres a bit of whine to it. It was annoying at first but you get used to it.

Ultramaroon 02-17-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3406799)
Mine is quiet under load, but cruising in 6th at 75 mph theres a bit of whine to it. It was annoying at first but you get used to it.

That's the stock diff. There's a resonance right at that speed. Here's the definitive test. Fifth gear is a straight shot through the transmission. It's not doing anything. If there's any whine that does not go away in fifth, it's not the transmission.

SydBRZ 02-18-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniepster (Post 3406221)

Whine in the transmission... have you tried drinking it?
Might go well with a burger.

(Now that you've had helpful replies, couldn't resist, sorry :D )

jflogerzi 02-21-2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 3406497)
Hmm, imho they don't whine that much, if with stock bushings. It's when one starts changing out different bushings for gearbox/transmission/rear subframe & diff to less compliant ones for whatever other NVH unrelated reasons..

This 100%. When I did the white line + Perrin transmission mount combo it completely changed the in cabin noise under highway driving and under hard acceleration. Almost wish I left it alone [emoji1787]

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Decep 02-21-2021 01:26 AM

Thats from the whiteline insert, i have the perrin rear mount and it adds zero nvh. Pretty nifty little part. I tried the whiteline insert and didn't care for it either

jflogerzi 02-21-2021 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3408142)
Thats from the whiteline insert, i have the perrin rear mount and it adds zero nvh. Pretty nifty little part. I tried the whiteline insert and didn't care for it either

Next time I have some work done at the shop I will have it removed.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk