Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   scrapped lower side panel =( (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64584)

brandonblt2 04-28-2014 07:48 PM

scrapped lower side panel =(

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone this is my first post on this site. After owning my brz for about a month I recently hit a curb pulling into to park pretty nasty scrap down to the bare metal. My question is do you guys think it will rust in about a weeks time or sooner? I am getting paint to repaint it myself I applied some petrolatum oil to act as barrier, will this damage my paint?

brianhj 04-29-2014 09:57 PM

If you're short on cash you could get the OEM mud guards, they will cover the worst of it. Of course, before you put them on, you should paint or otherwise seal the bare metal from the elements.

Edit: Unless of course this is in front of the rear wheel, hard to tell in pic

brandonblt2 04-30-2014 08:04 PM

yea this is the front of the rear wheel turns out that the bottom frame is aluminum so it wont rust I just need to wait for a dry day to go out and fix it.

G-awesome 05-04-2014 12:58 AM

I'm no expert but I think the bumpy part is fiberglass? Looks like you mostly scaped off that part and a bit of metal. I think you can wet sand it a bit to smooth it out and paint it up. Luckily its on the bottom in that bumpy area so it won't be very noticeable when fixed.

EAZYBRZY 05-04-2014 01:03 AM

Looks totalled sorry man

brandonblt2 05-05-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-awesome (Post 1714465)
I'm no expert but I think the bumpy part is fiberglass? Looks like you mostly scaped off that part and a bit of metal. I think you can wet sand it a bit to smooth it out and paint it up. Luckily its on the bottom in that bumpy area so it won't be very noticeable when fixed.

Yea I think once I sand and paint the scrap it will blend pretty good.

stugray 05-05-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonblt2 (Post 1716382)
Yea I think once I sand and paint the scrap it will blend pretty good.

most of the damage is in the textured portion.
You can buy "rocker panel paint" at walmart that would give you that texture.

Finding enough touch up paint to do that small portion will be expensive though.

brandonblt2 05-05-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stugray (Post 1716397)
most of the damage is in the textured portion.
You can buy "rocker panel paint" at walmart that would give you that texture.

Finding enough touch up paint to do that small portion will be expensive though.

Thanks I didn't know that was a sprayed on texture I brought some spray cans of the oem paint I will pickup a bottle of this too. Just to make sure I have this right, you apply the rocker panel paint before you apply the oem paint right?

stugray 05-05-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonblt2 (Post 1716579)
..., you apply the rocker panel paint before you apply the oem paint right?

Yes - "This coating is applied over primer coated panels and under top coats providing an additional layer of protection to the substrate"

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Company...-Grey/30581129

Zelica 07-29-2014 02:21 AM

Hey sorry to revive, but how did this turn out? Got any after pics?

I recently did three long scratches closer to the middle (Maybe 3-6 inches long) from a curb and was wondering if it was easy to fix?

Thanks,

brandonblt2 07-30-2014 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelica (Post 1870635)
Hey sorry to revive, but how did this turn out? Got any after pics?

I recently did three long scratches closer to the middle (Maybe 3-6 inches long) from a curb and was wondering if it was easy to fix?

Thanks,

Yea I decided to just sand the area alittle bit and and apply some primer and then spray paint the area with a rattle can and then added a clear coat. There is a line where it does not match but I am to lazy to use rubbing compound to polish it out. Standing a foot away you dont notice it unless I point it out so it works for me. Also Note in the pics my car is dirty whose are not paint chips

Thrustin 07-31-2014 06:47 PM

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYM71-pV-jQ"]Facepalm - YouTube[/ame]

Zelica 10-24-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonblt2 (Post 1873625)
Yea I decided to just sand the area alittle bit and and apply some primer and then spray paint the area with a rattle can and then added a clear coat. There is a line where it does not match but I am to lazy to use rubbing compound to polish it out. Standing a foot away you dont notice it unless I point it out so it works for me. Also Note in the pics my car is dirty whose are not paint chips

Did you ever use the Rocker Panel coating stugray linked?

That coating is textured correct?

Thanks! Looks great!

(Sorry for late response, was in the process of moving and relocating)

brandonblt2 10-25-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelica (Post 1997658)
Did you ever use the Rocker Panel coating stugray linked?

That coating is textured correct?

Thanks! Looks great!

(Sorry for late response, was in the process of moving and relocating)

nah I decided the area was so small it really was not necessary. I just sanded added primer, spray painted, and hit it with some rubbing compound.