Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Which lowering springs (below or otherwise) would best suit 2017+ 86 stock shocks? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147565)

Myemim 11-12-2021 08:59 PM

Which lowering springs (below or otherwise) would best suit 2017+ 86 stock shocks?
 
To start, I am new to modifying suspension. I am currently on stock suspension on my 2017 Toyota 86. I have 17x8 wheels with 225/45R17 tires (slightly taller than stock). I want to lower my car with springs for the cost and because I do not drive competitively. I also have a front lip that I want to minimize potential scraping long-term. Since I only do daily driving (at most canyon cruises), I am primarily looking for aesthetics and comfort; but I still value functionality and performance. I do not need the adjustability of coilovers. I plan on getting front camber bolts and perhaps rear LCAs for alignment if the need arises.

The two sets of springs that I am looking at are the RCE Yellows and the RS-R Down Sus 2017+ (SKU: T066D in particular) Links:
- https://www.racecompengineering.com/...rings-2013-brz
- https://www.rs-r.com/product/toyota-...-springs-2017/

I've read a number of threads and reviews of the RCE Yellow springs and they seem to be a good match with the kouki 86 shocks. The drop is a modest 20 mm all around which I appreciate. The spring rates are square but not too stiff with (converted) 4.46 kg/mm front and rear. Overall they seem great for my needs.

I have found nothing about the RS-R Down Sus 2017+ anywhere online, though RS-R is still reputable for their suspension. The RS-R's have listed Front 3.37kg/mm and Rear 4.18kg/mm rates, not square, with an advertised (-0.8in to -1.0in) drop all around. These springs are also cheaper at retail, though this might not matter if I can find a good deal around Black Friday or something.

If anyone more experienced in suspension could give their input I would greatly appreciate it! Feel free to make other product recommendations (springs or camber mods) as well.

jflogerzi 11-13-2021 12:13 AM

Go for Yellows or Swift springs. Yellows will pair nicely.

x808drifter 11-13-2021 04:18 AM

Yellows.

jflogerzi 11-13-2021 05:51 PM

Get stock OEM crash bolts for sure and take it to a shop that do performance alignments.

meWant 11-13-2021 10:35 PM

My votes for the Yellows

RToyo86 11-13-2021 11:09 PM

I ran yellows with stock 2017 dampers until I eventually paired with B6s. Stock dampers work pretty well until you wear them out.

marco_mc22 11-14-2021 07:39 AM

I’d choose Yellows as well, for two reasons: they lower the car just 20mm and they use squared rates which is ideal for our strut limited travel shocks. Then you can always upgrade to B6 or Koni In the future to get even more travel and a more refined shock.

ZDan 11-14-2021 10:07 AM

Either Yellows (0.8" lower) or RSR Down (0.5" lower) should be fine.
I wouldn't go any lower than that on stock struts! I ran Swift BRZ Sport springs (supposedly -1.1" lower than stock but I wound up -1.25" to -1.5") with factory PP Sachs and the car was on the front bump stops. TERRIBLE ride over even the smallest bumps, until I got Bilsteins which have a TON more bump travel.

You might look for people who have run either the RCE Yellows or RSR Down to see what their actual lowered ride heights wound up being.

JohnH 01-06-2022 04:57 PM

subbing because I also want to know this.

I really like that the RSR is not that much lower. I don't like scraping on speed bumps or unseen shitty road parts. I also don't like wearing out the stock shocks too fast if its too low and out of the shocks range of motion.

But on the other hand the RCE is a nice set with good use and support and we know it works.

I don't want to make my car tail happy, I want it neutral and to handle better, grip better, not be a drift car so I want proper front/rear balance. I know the BRZ has already done this a bit better than the Toyota but I want to keep or slightly improve on that rather than make it more like the Toyota

Oxyg3n 01-13-2022 04:27 AM

Here are some visuals of what RCE Yellows look like on stock dampers and wheels/tires.

https://i.ibb.co/VvsNkgd/20210305-173242.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/SPM4SZR/20210605-172434.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/3mFZFq6/20210814-094351.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/G95rNCw/20210821-102720-1.jpg

Thefalls 01-14-2022 04:55 PM

I wonder what would the RSR 3.3kg F and 4.1kg R springs feel like on the Bilstein B6?

Anyone tried the Bilstein B6 with stock springs?

THanks.

Racecomp Engineering 01-14-2022 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefalls (Post 3496844)
Anyone tried the Bilstein B6 with stock springs?

THanks.

I have. They're nice. :)

- Andrew

Thefalls 01-15-2022 04:57 PM

In trying to achieve a nice fast road/ spirited driving style and budget friendly package, I have reached this combo of Bilstein B6 with RSR springs.

Lowered by around 20mm and F 3.3KG / R 4.1KG springs.

I was wondering if this would be able to strike a nice balance.

Logic says that if people have liked the RCE yellows [ which are 4.5 KG square ] then the RSR springs rates will be fine?

Now that Andrew says the B6 with the stock springs are nice, then I deduce that they are comfortable....but are they adequate for some canyon spirited drives?
Or some stiffer springs are needed?

@ Racecomp Engineering. What do you say?


The shipping rates are killing during these times and the above package will be achievable sometime very soon.

norcalpb 01-24-2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefalls (Post 3497081)
In trying to achieve a nice fast road/ spirited driving style and budget friendly package, I have reached this combo of Bilstein B6 with RSR springs.

Lowered by around 20mm and F 3.3KG / R 4.1KG springs.

I was wondering if this would be able to strike a nice balance.

Logic says that if people have liked the RCE yellows [ which are 4.5 KG square ] then the RSR springs rates will be fine?

Now that Andrew says the B6 with the stock springs are nice, then I deduce that they are comfortable....but are they adequate for some canyon spirited drives?
Or some stiffer springs are needed?

@ Racecomp Engineering. What do you say?


The shipping rates are killing during these times and the above package will be achievable sometime very soon.

RSR down + B6 would be a very fun combo. It sounds very similar to my STi + B6 setup which was so comfy yet really sporty. It’s a very “this is how the car should’ve came” feeling. Stock springs + B6 will also have a similar feeling but I fear you may kick yourself for not upping the spring rates by such a slight but noticeable amount for the canyon runs.

Capt Spaulding 01-25-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3496863)
I have. They're nice. :)

- Andrew

Hey Andrew, sorry to hi-jack but I recall someone (it may have been you) from RCE mentioning using BRZ oem front springs and FRS oem rears. Does that ring a bell. I'll probably be changing to B6s later this year and don't really want to lower the car for all the reasons others have stated.

thanks.

Racecomp Engineering 01-25-2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding (Post 3499615)
Hey Andrew, sorry to hi-jack but I recall someone (it may have been you) from RCE mentioning using BRZ oem front springs and FRS oem rears. Does that ring a bell. I'll probably be changing to B6s later this year and don't really want to lower the car for all the reasons others have stated.

thanks.

I've never tried it, but yeah I thought that would be solid for a non-lowered set up.

Remember though the BRZ springs have changed over the years, so be sure to get the right ones.

- Andrew

Capt Spaulding 01-26-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3499681)
I've never tried it, but yeah I thought that would be solid for a non-lowered set up.

Remember though the BRZ springs have changed over the years, so be sure to get the right ones.

- Andrew

That was my recollection. Iíll have to figure out whatís what. Thanks.

Vital 01-26-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH (Post 3494422)
subbing because I also want to know this.

I really like that the RSR is not that much lower. I don't like scraping on speed bumps or unseen shitty road parts. I also don't like wearing out the stock shocks too fast if its too low and out of the shocks range of motion.

But on the other hand the RCE is a nice set with good use and support and we know it works.

I don't want to make my car tail happy, I want it neutral and to handle better, grip better, not be a drift car so I want proper front/rear balance. I know the BRZ has already done this a bit better than the Toyota but I want to keep or slightly improve on that rather than make it more like the Toyota

This was exactly my criteria and just personally I didn't want to lower the car a whole lot. I just wanted to capitalize on the BRZ neutral handling and a good balance with good grip. I am 100% satisfied with RCE Yellows as they did exactly that. Also, having a good alignment truly helps as well. I think you will be more than content with the RCE Yellows. Now I have them paired with Bilstein B6 and its been amazing.

RToyo86 01-26-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefalls (Post 3497081)
Now that Andrew says the B6 with the stock springs are nice, then I deduce that they are comfortable....but are they adequate for some canyon spirited drives?
Or some stiffer springs are needed?

@ Racecomp Engineering. What do you say?


The shipping rates are killing during these times and the above package will be achievable sometime very soon.

Stock springs work just fine. On sticky tires you end up on the bump stops a lot. Stiffer springs like yellows help with that. Trade off with yellows is a hit to ride quality. If I lived in a spot where I was constantly driving on terrible roads any spring would probably be too much for me.

300tw range tires from my usage on the street has been a good sweet spot. Previously ran on PS4S tires, now on advan V105s.
Very much keeps the playful nature of the car.

I drove a friend's car on silver coils and 255 RS4 tires. It feels very track spec by comparison. Grip for days and takes corners with little drama around town. You can push the car and it takes it with no fuss.

Yellow combo retains the stock feel but sharpens it. The overly loose feeling at speed from the rear end is gone, but I can still get it to rotate pretty easily without purposely upsetting the balance of the car.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.