Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car Won't Start - Please help! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94738)

SkiRideDrive 09-12-2015 08:29 PM

Car Won't Start - Please help!

Thanks for your interest. I very much appreciate any input.

Problem:
I turn the key and the car doesn't even attempt to crank over.

Summary/Guess:
Theory 1: I unplugged the dimmer switch and trunk switch without disconnecting battery (stupid me).
Theory 2: I may have manipulated the alarm system dongle/wire in some way when removing the kick panel.
Please see a more elaborate explanation below.

Additional Information:
-Car ran fine 5 minutes earlier.
-Everything else works fine, headlights, door locks, trunk opens, etc.

What I've Tried:
-I tried using my spare key - no luck
-I tried disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for 5 minutes - reconnect, same scenario.

What I did after the car ran to cause it to not run:
-I tested out my brand new 86 nanny from beastronix. (http://www.beastronix.com/shop/86nanny-pedal-dance/).
-The 86 nanny plugs into the osb2 port. I tested it and it enabled pedal dance as designed.
-The 86 nanny also acts as a pass through so you can use an obd2 transmitter with torque or other app. I also tested that, that also worked. I was using an ELM327 V2.1 and the Torque app. That worked well also.
-Next on the list was installation of the 86 nanny into the car more permanently. So I shut the car off.
-Installation includes removing the panel on the left side of the dash, then unscrewing two srews, one under that panel, and another near your right knee, to remove the kick panel under the steering column.
-I removed the kick panel, disconnected the two switches (trunk open and dimmer switch) to drill a hole in the small panel to install the 86 nanny activation switch.
-I realized I did not have the right size drill bit and figured I could do it at work on Monday.
-hoping I wouldnt have to reinstall everything, I tried starting the car with those switches unplugged (dimmer and trunk opener). Car won't turn over.
-I tried reconnecting the switches. Car won't turn over.
-I tried disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for 5 minutes. Car won't turn over.
-I tried scanning with the ignition in the on mode with torque/obd2 unit - no codes.
- I tried my spare key, car won't turn over.
-I tried plugging the 86 nanny in just incase the car missed it for some reason and wouldn't start without it, car won't turn over.
-I am stumped.
-Also of note - the car alarm dongle/button unit is on the bottom of the kick panel, that was hanging by the wire when i removed the kick panel. I don't think i hit the button on it (blue) but I may have. Also, perhaps the wire hanging did something to the security system.
-The alarm (flashing red light with lock) light flashes on dash when I am not trying to start the car. I can't remember if that light flashed did that before this whole snafu, I'd be willing to guess it did not, but can't be sure.

Thank you so much!

jdmblood 09-12-2015 08:31 PM

I think its totaled dude.

ihaskrayon 09-12-2015 08:31 PM

Try cuddling.

lupindub 09-12-2015 08:35 PM

Try jumping the car. Can't believe you haven't tried this yet.

joe strummer 09-12-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupindub (Post 2388270)
Try jumping the car. Can't believe you haven't tried this yet.

Problem:

Additional Information:

wireman957 09-12-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe strummer (Post 2388273)
Problem:

Additional Information:

Seems like you tried changing a whole bunch of stuff at once. How about changing it all back? Next time, try changing one thing at a time to see what each change affects.

ntron1 09-12-2015 08:52 PM

!-800-Subaru Roadside Assistance

Tow to dealer

Hope for the best

Uber is your new best friend

BRZ'13 09-12-2015 08:55 PM

did you check if your starter fuse is broken?

Impureclient 09-12-2015 09:00 PM

Don't know what that nanny thing does exactly but does it change anything where the car would think it is in drive/in gear?

Th3rdSun 09-12-2015 09:21 PM

Sounds like you may have blown a fuse or relay.I would definitely check into those first.

lupindub 09-12-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe strummer (Post 2388273)
Problem:

Additional Information:

My car did the exact same thing when my battery died. I'm not talking about a drained battery but a DEAD battery. When your battery dies, it dies. My car wouldn't even crank over and I had to get a new battery. Even if you have a DEAD battery, I believe you can still jump it and drive off to the mechanic like I did. So just because your car won't even crank over, don't assume it's not a faulty battery.

joe strummer 09-12-2015 09:47 PM

If the battery was dead, the lights, locks, etc. wouldn't work.

And if low enough to operate them but not start the car, the starter, or at least the solenoid, would attempt to operate.

lupindub 09-12-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe strummer (Post 2388317)
If the battery was dead, the lights, locks, etc. wouldn't work.

And if low enough to operate them but not start the car, the starter, or at least the solenoid, would attempt to operate.

Not true. Even after my battery died - window auto scroll, locks, lights, etc. were gone, the anti-theft light was still blinking. So I essentially had no power in anything except for the anti-theft lights.

SkiRideDrive 09-12-2015 10:01 PM

Update. Battery has 13.5 volts from my multimeter.