Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   help... think i blew a strut or shock (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136304)

BRZ FTW 08-12-2019 04:33 PM

help... think i blew a strut or shock

I hit a big bump in the highway where they paved new section next to the old. The tarmac was offset probably 6" or so and I hit it at 70mph. I bent three rims as a result. So I replaced the three rims but I'm getting quite a bit more nvh in the cabin/seat/everything than I did before.

Whats the best way to tell if a blew one of my struts or shocks? I have the '17 PP Sachs with roughly 19k miles on them.

Is there anything else I should check?

tehShirt 08-12-2019 04:50 PM

Did you have the alignment checked? How about any of the other suspension components? That was a considerable hit to cause that much damage to the wheels.

soundman98 08-12-2019 09:12 PM

if you're still getting vibrations, i would check the axles for all the wheels

BRZ FTW 08-12-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehShirt (Post 3247026)
Did you have the alignment checked? How about any of the other suspension components? That was a considerable hit to cause that much damage to the wheels.

Had an alignment done. Pretty sure that made it worse. I think they went really aggressive with the toe and now its super twitchy at highway speeds. Of course their printer wasn't working so I don't know what the final numbers where. Thinking about taking it to a speed shop to check it out and dial it in once more.

BRZ FTW 08-12-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3247102)
if you're still getting vibrations, i would check the axles for all the wheels

Anything in particular I should check on the axels?

Ultramaroon 08-12-2019 10:33 PM

At that speed, and with three bent wheels, I'd go over ALL of it with great care. Peened wheel bearings may take a while before they start to growl. Or they may already be the source of the NVH.

soundman98 08-12-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ FTW (Post 3247117)
Anything in particular I should check on the axels?

specifically for bent axles. i would put it on a lift and spin the wheels, checking them for run out--it ought to be zero.

Ultramaroon 08-12-2019 11:33 PM

The axles, or as the service manual refers to them, axle hubs, are replaceable assemblies. They also house the wheel bearings. :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/LamC5Bf.jpg

Tristor 08-13-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ FTW (Post 3247022)
I hit a big bump in the highway where they paved new section next to the old. The tarmac was offset probably 6" or so and I hit it at 70mph. I bent three rims as a result. So I replaced the three rims but I'm getting quite a bit more nvh in the cabin/seat/everything than I did before.

Whats the best way to tell if a blew one of my struts or shocks? I have the '17 PP Sachs with roughly 19k miles on them.

Is there anything else I should check?

Only way to really be sure is wheels off on a lift. If you blew them, they're likely leaking oil. Realistically though, you probably damaged a lot more than the three wheels in your suspension in the process, and not just possibly the struts. I hit a bad spot on the road on a roadtrip earlier this year and bent the OEM toe arm on the passenger rear.

You're in San Antonio just like I am, so you can go to Turner's DIY and get on a lift for $20/hr with access to air tools. If you want my assistance just send me a PM and I will work it into my schedule to come help you out. I always try to help out any local owners (I've done plenty of exhaust and suspension upgrades :).

Also, out of curiosity where did you hit this spot so I know to avoid it :bellyroll:

BRZ FTW 08-13-2019 03:46 PM

Thanks all!

I'm taking it to Soul Speed in Austin this Friday to get a proper alignment and once over on the suspension. Hopefully nothing needs replacing.

Tristor 08-13-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ FTW (Post 3247390)
Thanks all!

I'm taking it to Soul Speed in Austin this Friday to get a proper alignment and once over on the suspension. Hopefully nothing needs replacing.

That's a great place to take it, Jaime does a good job and Soulspeed is well acquainted with all the intricacies of suspension work. That's who I had do my initial coilover install + corner weighting.

That said, going all the way to Austin is a bit of a drive. Like I said, if you want we can probably find out everything wrong with it on a lift at Turner's DIY, and you can learn how to fix it yourself.

soundman98 08-13-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Hopefully nothing needs replacing.

if it don't drive right, i'm only hoping you find all the components that need to be replaced in the first shot.

Decep 08-15-2019 10:11 PM

post your alignment numbers?

Tristor 08-16-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks all!

So what’s the verdict Spanky? Was yours the yellow BRZ they had on Instagram?

Any other damage or just an alignment?