Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Millionaire FR-S owner with a heart (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132112)

stevesnj 12-28-2018 07:39 PM

Millionaire FR-S owner with a heart

1 Attachment(s)
Thrifty and Scion FR-S seem synonymous to CNN. We know he is smart since he picked Blue not Lava

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/28/us/fr...rnd/index.html

Impureclient 12-28-2018 09:42 PM

From the article: "but it's not a Mustang or a Corvette or a Porsche that he easily could have afforded"
Hey now, let's not get silly. A Mustang is billionaire kind of money, not millionaire!

jonboy99 12-28-2018 10:22 PM

Just seen this. Sounds like he had a heart of gold. Wonder if he was on here?

*edit - and that 86 looks pretty damn fine in that pic!

Mr.ac 12-29-2018 12:46 AM

Well isn't that nice of him.
Guess just because you got mad cash doesn't mean you have to get mad expensive cars.
Eh perfect example is Warren Buffet. He drives an old man caddy.

Lonewolf 12-29-2018 01:41 AM

RIP guy, you seemed to have your priorities straight in life...:cheers:

JD001 12-29-2018 04:13 AM

Does say he was 'frugal' and displayed through his Scion. Good for him and the charities that will benefit from his endeavours.. I just hope the charities don't just piss it away as is the case with lots of charities in the UK!

Qwimby1 12-29-2018 11:20 AM

Sam Walton said he owned a pickup truck and some stock.

soundman98 12-29-2018 03:17 PM

articles like these always leave me conflicted. i've worked people that have 'fuck-you' money like that, but live like they're on their last dime.

they're terrible people to do anything for, and they usually try to get everything they can for cheap or free, usually to their own detriment.

and while it's good that the money is going to charities, i just don't get the philosophy to leave that much money behind and not enjoy it before you die. as jd001 said-- most charities piss away money pretty easily, so while the money appears to be be going somewhere good, it's not much better then if he had just spent it and enjoyed himself.

nikitopo 12-29-2018 04:00 PM

I checked the link and the story. What an amazing guy.

Quentin 12-30-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3167830)
articles like these always leave me conflicted. i've worked people that have 'fuck-you' money like that, but live like they're on their last dime.

they're terrible people to do anything for, and they usually try to get everything they can for cheap or free, usually to their own detriment.

and while it's good that the money is going to charities, i just don't get the philosophy to leave that much money behind and not enjoy it before you die. as jd001 said-- most charities piss away money pretty easily, so while the money appears to be be going somewhere good, it's not much better then if he had just spent it and enjoyed himself.

Most? Citation needed on that one. Yes, there are charities that misuse money but that doesn’t mean most.

Even if 50% of the money makes it to social work (the guy was a social worker), that group has benefited enormously compared to him blowing it on material things. How do you know he didn’t enjoy himself? Lots of people have fulfilling lives without spending a ton of money. He was driving a pretty fun little sports car... it wasn’t like he was rolling in some 30 year old malaise era heap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevesnj 12-30-2018 11:01 AM

Everyone is different, I know people in healthcare and education say they can care less about their patients and students and only do the job for the money. Myself, I couldn't not help someone in need. I'm not a materialistic person so I wouldn't spend a lot or frivolously, I know that for a fact.

Sapphireho 12-30-2018 11:27 AM

I didn't read the article, but does it say how he had that much money? Because even if he was the highest paid social worker ever, had the best investment guy ever, ate every meal at free soup kitchens and lived under a bridge, the numbers don't add up. A hobby of real estate? A social worker for Apple?

JD001 12-30-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3167990)
I didn't read the article, but does it say how he had that much money? Because even if he was the highest paid social worker ever, had the best investment guy ever, ate every meal at free soup kitchens and lived under a bridge, the numbers don't add up. A hobby of real estate? A social worker for Apple?

You missed out 'inheritance'.. rich uncle/grandmother or some wacky client of his left him the dosh instead of leaving their money to a cat sanctuary...

joro2 12-30-2018 01:33 PM

Good story, thanks for posting it.
Even if I had more $ (which I don’t) and could afford something more expensive, this (86 platform) would still be my first choice.
Part of the appeal for me *is* the (relatively) low cost to purchase and maintain.