Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2017 Toyota 86 TRD Intake??? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123964)

AZ94 12-10-2017 06:47 AM

2017 Toyota 86 TRD Intake???

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I apologize if this topic has been discussed already but does the 2017 86 have a TRD intake?

I know on the Toyota website there's an option to add in a TRD intake to the vehicle but when I got to the TRD website it doesn't show the intake as an available option. Then I looked up the part number (PTR03-18130) on the TRD website and it doesn't show the 2017 Toyota 86 as a compatible vehicle...it only shows the 2013-16 FRS's as compatible

Summerwolf 12-10-2017 08:59 AM

No it does not already have it.

PetrolioBenzina 12-10-2017 09:21 AM

Summer means the 17 is better than the TRD, forget about the intake as an item that needs "upgrading".

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 12-10-2017 09:25 AM

*unless you're looking for more sound and better throttle response, in which case you could also go for an inlet tube and a filter, and/or a grams 72mm throttle body.

Cole 12-10-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3014723)
*unless you're looking for more sound and better throttle response, in which case you could also go for an inlet tube and a filter, and/or a grams 72mm throttle body.

Lol

Tcoat 12-10-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3014723)

The changes to the 17s already give you what the TRD intake did to the 13s to 16s. You already have the "better sound and throttle response". There is zero advantage to changing it. Changing a throttle body is a very last step when you have done every other possible "upgrade" not a first step.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 12-10-2017 10:47 AM

The boy wants to do something, let him do it lol. Who cares if there are gains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3014735)
The changes to the 17s already give you what the TRD intake did to the 13s to 16s. You already have the "better sound and throttle response". There is zero advantage to changing it. Changing a throttle body is a very last step when you have done every other possible "upgrade" not a first step.

I spent about 10K on this car already and zero of that was for under the hood lol. I did a ton of research and know that all these induction end things dont do squat. But some people like doing upgrades for the sake of doing upgrades, let the kid have some fun.

Tcoat 12-10-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3014739)

I spent about 10K on this car already and zero of that was for under the hood lol. I did a ton of research and know that all these induction end things dont do squat. But some people like doing upgrades for the sake of doing upgrades, let the kid have some fun.

That is the best way to say it but they still need to know there are no gains to be had going into the project. If for the bling factor then great. If expecting something they will not get then not so good.

funwheeldrive 12-10-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3014739)

The world doesn't need more ricers.

Tcoat 12-10-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3014745)
The world doesn't need more ricers.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1482629038

Summerwolf 12-10-2017 11:21 AM

Here is the deal. The TRD intake fits, and would be the "same" improvement as previous years if you have an auto. If you have a manual the improvement would be the cleaner looks of the engine bay and permanent removal of the sound tube. Filter would also be re-usable. There are definitely benefits, but the 17+ manual intake is actually pretty nice so performance benefits would be negligible.

TRD has not updated their part number listing, and likely won't since we are cruising in to 18 and they haven't cared to.

Tcoat 12-10-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3014750)
Here is the deal. The TRD intake fits, and would be the "same" improvement as previous years if you have an auto. If you have a manual the improvement would be the cleaner looks of the engine bay and permanent removal of the sound tube. Filter would also be re-usable. There are definitely benefits, but the 17+ manual intake is actually pretty nice so performance benefits would be negligible.

TRD has not updated their part number listing, and likely won't since we are cruising in to 18 and they haven't cared to.

I always forget about the AT being the old one.

Point goes to SW.

PetrolioBenzina 12-10-2017 02:09 PM

I need some VTEC decals for my car. VTEC As F*CK, yo.

AZ94 12-10-2017 02:20 PM

Thanks for the input guys. So basically the part still "fits" but does nothing for performance. I got my car used and it came with the TRD exhaust which does nothing for performance anyway. I'm not really trying to increase performance but to me the car sounds a bit unnatural in the cabin, more resonance sounds rather than engine sounds and I think it's because of the sound tube.

I know a lot have said the TRD intake would change the sound but in what way? I know it'll get rid of the sound tube but is it louder, quieter, more natural sounding, etc?

Thanks again