Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Parking: Do you back in or Pull in? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100038)

YamahaR86 01-14-2016 02:44 PM

Parking: Do you back in or Pull in?

Read a thread that people who work in oil rigs are required to back their cars in, in an event of a failure they can get away quicker.

Also that it's easier to see cars coming if you back the car in and going out.

What do you typically do?

mykoe 01-14-2016 02:47 PM

Typically pull in unless I'm early :D

HunterGreene 01-14-2016 02:48 PM

I generally pull in forwards, but am starting to back in more as of late. Some study has been done towards this, and found that if you pull in forward, you get back out slower, but if you back in, you can get out faster for the reasons you have already stated. It also tells something of the driver's focus, whether they think more in the short term (pulling in forward) or long term (back in).

jawn 01-14-2016 02:49 PM

I usually pull in.

I also get a full on murderboner when someone in front of me in a parking lot attempts to cool-guy back-in park and has to make multiple passes at it.

Sideways 01-14-2016 02:51 PM

I usually try and find spots with two open parking spots in front of each other. I just drive in through one and pull into the parking spot in front, so that I just have to drive out when I return to my car.

go_a_way1 01-14-2016 02:51 PM

I always back in. Its a habit and I find it much easier TBH

Packofcrows 01-14-2016 02:52 PM

back in because i love staring at car from classroom window and strangers checking car out.

mdm 01-14-2016 02:56 PM

Depends.

My driveway: I am usually lazy coming home and I pull in. Also there is usually more traffic in the evening and someone could block me if I went past the driveway to back in.

I should back in more, because backing out in the dark always scares me a bit. It's not about the cars, it's about pedestrians on the sidewalk. Not many of them, but I don't want to hit a jogger or a person walking their dog. The neighborhood is pretty dark, no street lights just those small front yard lamps.

In general backing in is safer (to avoid conflict with vehicle and pedestrian cross-traffic) and also it's easier to do when there is little space.

Parking spots: depends on time, parking spot configuration and size, expected way out, and whether I need access to the trunk. Mostly Pull in. Lazy again.

Of course, parallel vs. pull in/back in depends solely on the parking spot configuration.

Tcoat 01-14-2016 03:03 PM

Depends what I am driving.

If the wife's SUV, a pickup or something with more vehicle in the back than the front (from the location of my head in the driving position) I will back in.

In the FRS or a vehicle where there is more in front then I pull in.

Just find it easier to see while exposing the least amount of vehicle to traffic.

MisterSheep 01-14-2016 03:07 PM

When she backs in, I normally like to pull in. Then after the meetup is over I definately pull out.

ottoyu34 01-14-2016 03:13 PM

Always pull out.

eFRS 01-14-2016 03:15 PM

Back it up; it's my preferred parking style for any vehicle I drive.

NyC Zn6 01-14-2016 03:15 PM

Back in to parking spot in the A.M so when i get out of work i pull out.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 01-14-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 (Post 2509278)
Always pull out.

:eyebulge: