Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What did you do to your 2nd gen BRZ today? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147693)

dragoontwo 11-22-2021 09:19 PM

What did you do to your 2nd gen BRZ today?

4 Attachment(s)
Let's get this second gen thread going.

I installed my STI start button from my 20. I also installed my flexible v-bars. While I had the dsh apart I went ahead and removed the engine speaker that was right there.

I also found a quick and easy way to unplug the active sound control(engine noise speaker computer). Open the passenger door, remove the side panel and the plug for the unit is right there. I was able to get a couple of fingers in there and dialed the plug. See the attached photos.

FritoPendejo 11-22-2021 09:41 PM

How thoughtful of them to have made it so easy.

Got wheels swapped back to OEM on the FRS so I can swap my Motegis onto the BRZ when it finally arrives, got tradein value for it as well. They offered me more than carvana did so I'm happy with that.

Frost 11-23-2021 09:14 AM

So just unplug that lower plug on the bottom of the silver box?

dragoontwo 11-23-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 3483743)
So just unplug that lower plug on the bottom of the silver box?

Yep.

Yoshoobaroo 11-23-2021 10:46 AM

What did you do to your BRZ today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoontwo (Post 3483649)
-my STI start button from my 20-

Do you have the part number for that switch? It looks different from the others I’ve seen. How was the install?

Quote:

I also found a quick and easy way to unplug the active sound control(engine noise speaker computer). Open the passenger door, remove the side panel and the plug for the unit is right there.
No errors/shadow codes after unplugging?

dragoontwo 11-23-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3483765)
Do you have the part number for that switch? It looks different from the others I’ve seen. How was the install?

83031CA024 $85.48 at Subaru Source. From 2018 BRZ STI.

Lots of dash removal to get to the little bugger. The HVAC control panel needs to come off, so the radio panel also needs to be slid out far enough to get it off.

Quote:

No errors/shadow codes after unplugging?
Not sure yet. I haven't scanned it to see if any codes were pending. Can do later tonight.

dragoontwo 11-23-2021 06:09 PM

No codes readable from my end having the ASC disconnected. Not sure what the dealer may see, but also don't care.

Re: STI push button. I'm a dumbass. It's even easier than the last model to replace. Just grab the trim around the button and pull it straight out. It can be a bit fussy lining it up to reinstall though. Should take less than a minute to change.

Yoshoobaroo 11-23-2021 07:16 PM

Got her home!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...36dcaba100.jpg

MikeNSX2 11-23-2021 09:41 PM

Ordered a stainless steel WC Lathewerks shift knob.

Chris makes outstanding shift knobs, and I have one in my Focus ST and had one in my just sold Miata ND.

SpectreRT 11-23-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3483917)

Super happy for you, and 10000% jealous. The red looks amazing.

Yoshoobaroo 11-23-2021 10:42 PM

What did you do to your BRZ today?

I tried my tomei Duracon type SS shift knob and it didn’t fit. It screwed on just fine until it had to fit over the reverse lockout, looks like that diameter is a bit bigger now.

Edit: the new shift knob has a 27.75mm diameter bore for the reverse lockout. The old shift knobs were only ~24mm. For everyone considering custom made knobs, make sure your machinist knows this dimension is different from the 1st gen cars.

fredzy 11-24-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoontwo (Post 3483904)
No codes readable from my end having the ASC disconnected. Not sure what the dealer may see, but also don't care.

Re: STI push button. I'm a dumbass. It's even easier than the last model to replace. Just grab the trim around the button and pull it straight out. It can be a bit fussy lining it up to reinstall though. Should take less than a minute to change.

Regarding the sound generator disconnect, do you think you could take some in-car video revving it out with generator deactivated? I'm really curious to hear the car without it.

The car seems to make a not-so-nice buzzy sound that I think/hope is all coming from the generator. Reviewer comments seem to be neutral to negative about it. I guess the thing will be EV quiet without it, but that's where aftermarket can begin.

Big thanks for being probably the first person to get to the bottom of this one!

Yoshoobaroo 11-24-2021 10:37 AM

1st milestone

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bbb4b87ae8.jpg

Frost 11-24-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3484087)

Niiiiice.