Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Today I'd Like To Learn.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146835)

Dadhawk 09-16-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3466236)
TILTL why I can't just pay for sports channels. For example, I wish I could just pay per channel instead of being shoved plans down my throat for stuff that I don't watch nor I am interested in watching. I just want my BeIN Sports so I can watch La Liga and TNT for UEFA Champions League. That's it.

My understanding, blame the content providers. They insist that if the carriers want to carry channel A, they also have to carry other channels. Disney and Turner are some of the worst offenders of this.

spcmafia 09-16-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3466241)
My understanding, blame the content providers. They insist that if the carriers want to carry channel A, they also have to carry other channels. Disney and Turner are some of the worst offenders of this.

I think certain channels should have the ability to charge for a subscription on their website, develop apps for smart tvs/cellphones. I would be totally okay if BeIN Sports charged me $10 a month to have access to their stream and different sport coverage.

Dadhawk 09-16-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3466257)
I think certain channels should have the ability to charge for a subscription on their website, develop apps for smart tvs/cellphones. I would be totally okay if BeIN Sports charged me $10 a month to have access to their stream and different sport coverage.

Well, they all have that option obviously, and I suspect eventually this will be the standard model most folks use. I know my household is considering this now, and basically cutting the (satellite) cord.

That said I though BeIN sports had a subscription stream. (yea, looks like its http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/ ) Maybe its one of those where you have to authenticate with your carrier's login account though, don't know.

MuseChaser 09-19-2021 10:21 AM

We haven't had cable for many years. Built a Hoverman design antenna for about $10 which, even in our remote location down in a valley with trees all around, pulls in 26 stations including all the usual networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS) in HD. Have given Disney+ as a gift to my inlaws, and we access that once in a while, and still have Amazon Prime and can find stuff there to watch. Mostly, we like to watch movies and our local library has a great selection of bluray discs to borrow for free.

TILTL --- how to single hand a 26' sailboat with main and headsails, tiller, no autopilot of any kind, no roller furler, and no halyards led aft. Once the sails are hoisted, I can sail it myself no problem, but goingto the mast to raise or lower them without someone else at the tiller is really scary unless it's calm... and sailing when it's calm is no fun. Anyone? Is it possible? I figure a car forum where people who love engines hang out is the best place to ask.... ;)

soundman98 09-19-2021 10:26 AM

^i believe pilot is the only other sailing guy around here.

that just sounds like a handful though!

Spuds 09-19-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseChaser (Post 3467031)
We haven't had cable for many years. Built a Hoverman design antenna for about $10 which, even in our remote location down in a valley with trees all around, pulls in 26 stations including all the usual networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS) in HD. Have given Disney+ as a gift to my inlaws, and we access that once in a while, and still have Amazon Prime and can find stuff there to watch. Mostly, we like to watch movies and our local library has a great selection of bluray discs to borrow for free.

TILTL --- how to single hand a 26' sailboat with main and headsails, tiller, no autopilot of any kind, no roller furler, and no halyards led aft. Once the sails are hoisted, I can sail it myself no problem, but goingto the mast to raise or lower them without someone else at the tiller is really scary unless it's calm... and sailing when it's calm is no fun. Anyone? Is it possible? I figure a car forum where people who love engines hang out is the best place to ask.... ;)

Total amateur here, but here is what I would try, assuming you are concerned about the boat getting spun around. Turn the boat into the wind first. Tighten the main sheet, hoist the mainsail, hoist the headsail, let the main sheet out, turn onto your tack. Also assuming you have an engine to get you turned. The idea is that the mainsail will keep your direction stable while you get the headsail up.

I haven't sailed anything much bigger than a sunfish myself, so I may have no idea what I am talking about.

MuseChaser 09-19-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3467049)
Total amateur here, but here is what I would try, assuming you are concerned about the boat getting spun around. Turn the boat into the wind first. Tighten the main sheet, hoist the mainsail, hoist the headsail, let the main sheet out, turn onto your tack. Also assuming you have an engine to get you turned. The idea is that the mainsail will keep your direction stable while you get the headsail up.

I haven't sailed anything much bigger than a sunfish myself, so I may have no idea what I am talking about.

That all makes sense. I should probably spend more time sailing with just the headsail or just the mainsail to see how the boat handles. When both sails are up, I try to balance the trim so there's a bit of weather helm for safety, i.e., the boat gradually heads up when I take my hands off the tiller. Under mainsail alone, there should be even more weather helm naturally built in, so cleating off the mainsheet as you suggest would make sense, although when hoisting either sail I've always left the sheets free. If I head directly upwind (I do have an 8hp outboard), cleat the mainsheet so the boom is centered, then hoist the main, will that keep the boat pointed directly upwind without lashing the tiller?

I should probably just "sack up" and go out and try a few things... but it's kind of like flying.... most of the time, it's boring, but when it isn't, it's absolutely terrifying.

Spuds 09-19-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseChaser (Post 3467055)
That all makes sense. I should probably spend more time sailing with just the headsail or just the mainsail to see how the boat handles. When both sails are up, I try to balance the trim so there's a bit of weather helm for safety, i.e., the boat gradually heads up when I take my hands off the tiller. Under mainsail alone, there should be even more weather helm naturally built in, so cleating off the mainsheet as you suggest would make sense, although when hoisting either sail I've always left the sheets free. If I head directly upwind (I do have an 8hp outboard), cleat the mainsheet so the boom is centered, then hoist the main, will that keep the boat pointed directly upwind without lashing the tiller?

I should probably just "sack up" and go out and try a few things... but it's kind of like flying.... most of the time, it's boring, but when it isn't, it's absolutely terrifying.

Hmmm... Maybe. I guess the problem is you would start traveling backwards which would push the tiller one way or the other unless you held it in place, thus the boat would start to spin. Which actually sounds like a great way of getting back on course without an engine now that I think about it. Idk. Try it with someone else for safety next time you get a chance?

MuseChaser 09-19-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3467057)
Hmmm... Maybe. I guess the problem is you would start traveling backwards which would push the tiller one way or the other unless you held it in place, thus the boat would start to spin. Which actually sounds like a great way of getting back on course without an engine now that I think about it. Idk. Try it with someone else for safety next time you get a chance?

My wife is my "sailing buddy," and she has been my safety on the one or two times I've hoisted and dropped the sails myself. Have only done it in very mild breeze.. like, 2 or 3 knots. My heightened desire to be able to do this is driven by wanting to take our 9 month old Kelpie sailing with us. He likes the boat, but still needs pretty much constant supervision in new environments. We took him out a few weeks ago, but attending to him was all my wife could do so we didn't get the sails up.. just motored around for a while. I can handle the docklines, departing and docking, and sailing with no problem by myself. It's just having to go forward and hoist in even a slight blow that freaks me out w/ nobody at the helm. We'll have to go out without the dog, I guess, or I'll have to leave him and my wife home and grab someone else at the marina as a second to practice.

JD001 09-19-2021 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned that Adidas Superstar trainers can be had in Lego!

x808drifter 09-19-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3467063)

Wrong thread.

JD001 09-19-2021 02:46 PM

Today I like to learn to read!

Sapphireho 09-19-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3467063)

Soccer players have been wearing them for years.

Captain Snooze 09-20-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3466069)
TILTL how two companies in the same business selling the exact same product (well equivalent products) can justify selling them for such different prices.

I know it's not quite the same but it sort of is.
I see this a lot on Ebay with Chinese made things. The exact same thing, exact same picture, wildly differing prices.