Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Worst Social Media Platform (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144394)

BrahmaBull1990 03-02-2021 06:51 PM

Worst Social Media Platform

I was having this debate with some friends and the consensus was quite broad. By "worst" I mean which one(s) have the most negative for effects on society; whether it be vanity (Instagram), hubris/grandstanding (Linkedin), misinformation (Twitter/Facebook), or just unhealthy content addiction (all of them, but especially Facebook)

I know social media has done a lot to connect us, but there is a lot of net-harm, too. Personally I limit myself to Twitter for news, Facebook occasionally for groups (86 groups) and old friends, and Linkedin for work (I am in sales).

Thoughts?

Dadhawk 03-02-2021 06:54 PM

Simple answer, all of them are tied for worstestest.

I don't consider this forum social media.

I have a LinkedIn account that I never go to and will go away the day I retire.
I have a semi-fake Facebook account because Oculus requires it, but it has no information on it and has everything turned off.

That's about as far as I go.

spike021 03-02-2021 07:01 PM

Honestly IMO the finger-pointing is always at the platforms themselves (which do bear some responsibility) but much of the issue is the people themselves not being educated enough on several things: learning about an issue rather than just believing whatever social media post they see on it and not knowing how or when to self-filter content (especially nowadays a lot of these platforms insist they know what you want/need to see but actually do a horrific job of it).

BrahmaBull1990 03-02-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike021 (Post 3410758)
Honestly IMO the finger-pointing is always at the platforms themselves (which do bear some responsibility) but much of the issue is the people themselves not being educated enough on several things: learning about an issue rather than just believing whatever social media post they see on it and not knowing how or when to self-filter content (especially nowadays a lot of these platforms insist they know what you want/need to see but actually do a horrific job of it).

Sounds like most people are shitty and shouldn't be given a platform haha

KR-S 03-02-2021 07:18 PM

All of them are pretty shitty... but Twitter takes the cake when it comes to misinformation (on both sides). And I'll leave it at that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 (Post 3410760)
Sounds like most people are shitty and shouldn't be given a platform haha

I don't agree with that, because people have different ideas of who is shitty in their eyes. Would you rather be deplatformed for simply having a different opinion?

BrahmaBull1990 03-02-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR-S (Post 3410764)
All of them are pretty shitty... but Twitter takes the cake when it comes to misinformation (on both sides). And I'll leave it at that.

I don't agree with that, because people have different ideas of who is shitty in their eyes. Would you rather be deplatformed for simply having a different opinion?

No no, I’m not for silencing dissonance. I’m just saying people tend to be assholes when they hide behind a computer screen.

KR-S 03-02-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 (Post 3410771)
No no, I’m not for silencing dissonance. I’m just saying people tend to be assholes when they hide behind a computer screen.

If they're trolls and/or calling for violence, then yes, absolutely. However, people tend to spit in your face for having a different opinion, which is why I stay off sites like Twitter altogether. As it is, I only use Facebook to keep in touch with my friends, and that's about it.

Sapphireho 03-02-2021 08:45 PM

I've never heard of any of them.

RToyo86 03-02-2021 09:15 PM

I do not use Twitter but I hear that regularly suggested as the worst. The limited character count doesn't do any favors.

Facebook and Instagram are two I use. Facebook is worse in the sense that It can swing to negative stuff if you aren't careful.
It customizes your feed based on what you click on and comment. If you comment and look at shitty things that make you mad it will send you more of it.

I make a point now to click "hide this" feature over things that annoy me. Show me me more dogs being derps.

Israel Moore 03-02-2021 09:39 PM

Facebook, I am seeing a lot of trolls and scams all over this platform. I don't use it that much because I feel stress just by looking at the newsfeed.

Spuds 03-03-2021 12:57 AM

Every village has an idiot. This is nothing new. The internet just connected all our villages so the idiots can respond to each other's ramblings.

Tcoat 03-03-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 (Post 3410771)
I’m just saying people tend to be assholes when they hide behind a computer screen.

Hate to throw the "generation" thing into the mix but it has been my experience that this is a bigger issue with younger people. I can assure you that most of the "old" guys are likely to say the same things to somebody’s face that they will type on a screen. I know I do!
The only difference may be that the conversation may be shorter because face you face you can figure out if you are talking to somebody that is interested, confused or just a fool much quicker.

ermax 03-03-2021 12:06 PM

You see some crazy shit on Reddit where the children congregate. It’s terrifying to think that these children represent our future.

Wally86 03-03-2021 12:10 PM

My.02... Not a huge fan of negativity in general (versus creativity) and like the news, that seems to be all that gets people's attention on SM platforms.

Deleted twitter because I didn't see the point in the solipsism of it all.

FB made a mistake adding the unfollow button. I've literally unfollowed every everyone on my friends list as an experiment and now it just tries to guess what I'd like to see in group posts and writes things like "Something new was posted in xxxxx group!"

IG... I need IG lol. It's an outlet for me creatively across the four accounts I have. One account is literally my personal documentation on life and it's private with zero followers and maybe a dozen follows. Weird but sometimes doing something on your own terms is more fun and healthy I think.

LinkedIn. I just get nonstop job offer spam from it. Meh. Quick way to see what old colleagues are up to.