Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   S2000 vs. FR-S BRZ Track Review Video | Part 2 of 2 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74378)

Dezoris 09-26-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shattered_memory (Post 1961648)
Amazing job on the videos. They were very informative on the comparison of both cars. What are the pros and cons of the handling of the modified FR-S over the S2000? What are the pros and cons of the handling of the S2000 over the FR-S? Would you say the handling of the S2000 is that much better than the FR-S?

Stock vs. stock the FRS/BRZ is a better handling car. It's just more neutral and balanced. With the Ohlins dampers it's just an extension of that with just a much more controlled ride at the limit. It's just about as neutral as you can get in a car's handling short of dumping over 50k on a new car. (mx5 excluded)

The FRS/BRZ big issue is it's not a track car. In stock form its fun on the street. But if you want to autox or track. You don't have a factory way to adjust alignment which means as soon as you put sticky tires on, you have to go to the after market for camber kits. That's a huge downer with it compared to the S2000.

S2000 all you beed to do is order tires, head to alignment shop, go to track. On a light braking track the S2000 OEM brake will hold up with stock pads. FRS won't. But you should be swapping pads on both cars for track days regardless, thats normal practice.

The difference between the two is basically this. The 86 modified and unmodified is more accessible and neutral for a newer and average driver to control and enjoy. Its predictable and forgiving. That gives most confidence to push harder.

The S2000 is much more edgy and is much more rewarding when driven by someone with more seat time who is ok with being in the edge.
The car rotates in every corner, under hard braking which requires constant input from driver. You have to stay ahead of this car or it will spin. It's not forgiving.

The 86 has the potential to be the better handling car for most people.
But if you have experience the S2000 is much more fun to drive as it's more challenging to go fast.



Quote:

Originally Posted by titleistforged (Post 1962047)
Excellent videos. From someone with zero track experience, but road experience with both cars, I would have to agree that the s2000 is simply a dream, even with that minimal but beautiful interior.

For me, I just couldn't find one that didn't look destroyed to hell, and knock on wood, my BRZ is still actually very reliable despite light mods, with none of the issues you have mentioned in your video. Either way, I enjoyed watching your videos and look forward to future ones.

The S2000 is a hard sell for most who want that new car with warranty.
The 86 can be that almost primary car. The S2000 will always be that smile on your face second car in 4 season climates.

If you had to choose one or the other as your only car you choose the 86.
But if you didnt have to do that and wanted to choose the better sports car...(stock)

LucidMomentum 09-26-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962341)
If you had to choose one or the other as your only car you choose the 86.
But if you didnt have to do that and wanted to choose the better sports car...(stock)

As someone who knew what they wanted in a first "new" sports car, you pretty much summed up exactly why I went with an FR-S over buying a used S2K or something similar.

gramicci101 09-26-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962341)
If you had to choose one or the other as your only car you choose the 86.
But if you didnt have to do that and wanted to choose the better sports car...(stock)

Unless you sit in the S2000 and realize that you're looking through the sun visor and have to hunch over in order to see forward. :sigh:

It's only due to a rare moment of sanity that I don't have a bright yellow 2005 S2K.

Dezoris 09-26-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 1962376)
Unless you sit in the S2000 and realize that you're looking through the sun visor and have to hunch over in order to see forward. :sigh:

It's only due to a rare moment of sanity that I don't have a bright yellow 2005 S2K.

Goes without saying (disclaimer)
This is all dependent on whether or not you can fit in the car properly.

gramicci101 09-26-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962397)
Goes without saying (disclaimer)
This is all dependent on whether or not you can fit in the car properly.

I still almost bought one. :D My back would be so messed up by now.

I'm just glad I can shoehorn myself into a BRZ.

drewbot 09-26-2014 10:38 PM

Finding an unmolested S2000 is also impossible

Sent from my OnePlus One

lionbacker54 09-27-2014 09:39 AM

i would agree, as the video created concluded, that it is more headache than its worth to add forced induction to the GT86.

i would disagree however that this is not a track car. i would instead say it is a good beginner's track car, as you can learn to drive at its limits more easily

Dezoris 09-27-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionbacker54 (Post 1962913)
i would agree, as the video created concluded, that it is more headache than its worth to add forced induction to the GT86.

i would disagree however that this is not a track car. i would instead say it is a good beginner's track car, as you can learn to drive at its limits more easily

Its not a track car because you have to modify too many things to make it ready. Different oil grade, tires, Camber kit(s), oil cooler, pads, brake fluid.

strat61caster 09-27-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962963)
Its not a track car because you have to modify too many things to make it ready. Different oil grade, tires, Camber kit(s), oil cooler, pads, brake fluid.

Not if your a n00b.

If you hop in and expect to match other experienced drivers with expensive or modified cars after a day on the track because you did in your last car, then yes, you require all of those things before you go, but if it's your first time at the track you will need a couple days to get the hang of it, you can distribute those costs as you get better and run into the roadblocks and learn and do the jobs yourself.

Still a great beginner track car stock, especially for someone who's last goal is to get a laptimer and analyze data the next day.

cys19 09-27-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962963)
Its not a track car because you have to modify too many things to make it ready. Different oil grade, tires, Camber kit(s), oil cooler, pads, brake fluid.

Sounds like S2000 might be the only track-ready stock car on the market. Are there others <70k? How does track-prepping the FRS compare to Miata, 240sx & 350z? These cars are ubiquitous on the track, and it seems like they only change oil, tires and pads.

stonenewt 09-27-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cys19 (Post 1963135)
Sounds like S2000 might be the only track-ready stock car on the market. Are there others <70k? How does track-prepping the FRS compare to Miata, 240sx & 350z? These cars are ubiquitous on the track, and it seems like they only change oil, tires and pads.

Ultima GTR/CanAM... Though I have a feeling the definition of stock is getting a little stretched!

Deep Six 09-27-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1962963)
Its not a track car because you have to modify too many things to make it ready. Different oil grade, tires, Camber kit(s), oil cooler, pads, brake fluid.

To be fair, four of those are consumables and most track addicts are constantly making changes as they wear out.

jflogerzi 09-27-2014 05:13 PM

in stock form, you don't need an oil cooler to run at a track. Keep an eye on temps via torque and pull off when you reach a certain temp. For me 250 is where I stop.

yomny 09-27-2014 05:18 PM

I guess the oil cooler comes in so you don't have to pull off. Although as you mentioned is not needed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.