Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Flex Fuel 2017/"86 RUNNING?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122180)

007BRZ 09-22-2017 01:23 PM

Flex Fuel 2017/"86 RUNNING??

Anyone running a Flex Fuel kit with forced Air on a 2017 BRZ of TG86??

My builder has said he has rebuilt or replaced engines from Flex Fuel kits not working properly or set up correctly.

TachyonBomb 09-22-2017 03:31 PM

My turbo is getting installed soon. I already purchased the delicious kit new and specified that it was for 2017 upon purchase. I was going to install the kit after the turbo is installed. I also already purchased the ecutek cable/license/racerom but don't plan on using it until after the turbo and/or flexfuel kit is installed.

So what exactly is the issue with the flexfuel kit when combined with a turbo?

From what I see on here and instagram there are good amount of 2017's with turbos, and there are a hand full of 2017's on e85. Both of those categories independently show no issues. Finding a 2017 that overlaps both categories is not so common at this point but there are a few examples I've stumbled across expressing no issues yet.

What sort of issues are you and you builder experiencing?
-Is it the way the flex fuel communicates or translates the signal to the ecu?
-Is the ecu getting addition fuel system input that previous models thus causing a confusion with what the ecu reads?

From what I have seen so far:
-ecutek has no explicit racerom files for 2017 (when I last checked 2 months ago)
-ecutek has no explicit 2017 ecu file with the every day tables. But I believe it recommends another definition file when you click the "check what works with your ecu" button. Whatever it is recommending seems to work with all the currently tuned 2017 guys.

All 2017 owners should share there experience here on the subjects of:
-FlexFuel kits
-FlexFuel + Turbo
-Ecutek tuning
-RaceRom compatability

CSG Mike 09-22-2017 04:48 PM

Sure have, and yes.

007BRZ 09-23-2017 12:58 PM

Holding off on Flex Fuel Kits for my 2017

6 Attachment(s)
I really don't want to start a lot of clamor here, but I have a lot invested into my 2017 BRZ Yellow Special Edition with a complete Stage 100 Crawford build.
The first red flag came up when I heard from FT86 that they were testing a few 2017 flex fuel Kits that allow you to run any mixture. (I have few stations here with E85). Crawford could of set up my BRZ for E85 ONLY with no problems. FT86 said they have one working with a lot of wiring. They have not offered one for sale you. It seems there are voltage differences in the 2017.

Second red flag was that I emailed Quirt Crawford, that I was going to go with a particular kit since Viscondi has not responded to me and COBB does not think the market is big enough to do the R&D. Quirt told me not to do it now and he has replaced a few engines in my group. Got slammed against the wall! (My girl friend's husband walked in) That's why I have asked who is running a Flex Fuel kit (mixture pumped gas and E85) I do not want to be the guinea pig.
I have put Flex Fuel on hold for now. My Crawford build, Ecutek Tune, 3" exhaust system runs like a rocket next to my 2013 limited
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I want to know a few 2017's who have run for 5000 miles or more on mixtures. I am hoping that Viscondi puts out one.
I also have a full Ecutek kit and license, and my original tune was done in LA, then shipped back to Florida

Amputechture 09-23-2017 02:17 PM

John Visconti and Crawford Performance, that's a winning combination!!!!

TachyonBomb 09-23-2017 11:18 PM

So FT86 has a kit that is in development and Visconti hasn't given you an answer on their kit. I believe that leaves delicious, zeitronix and moto-east.

But nearly all of the 2017's I've seen have delicious. And if memory serves, delicious has addressed the voltage issue why is why it asks for the year of the car when you purchase the kit from their site.

You're situation doesn't have to be so secretive. You could have just been sent a wrong year kit by accident I'm sure an exchange can be made for the mistake. If no exchange can be made or if the kit you bought doesn't come in a 2017 configuration then just sell what you have to someone with an older year car and pick up a 2017 specific kit.

007BRZ 09-25-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TachyonBomb (Post 2982671)
So FT86 has a kit that is in development and Visconti hasn't given you an answer on their kit. I believe that leaves delicious, zeitronix and moto-east.

But nearly all of the 2017's I've seen have delicious. And if memory serves, delicious has addressed the voltage issue why is why it asks for the year of the car when you purchase the kit from their site.

You're situation doesn't have to be so secretive. You could have just been sent a wrong year kit by accident I'm sure an exchange can be made for the mistake. If no exchange can be made or if the kit you bought doesn't come in a 2017 configuration then just sell what you have to someone with an older year car and pick up a 2017 specific kit.

Let me know after you have run a few 1000 miles with the kit what you think. I'm pretty open minded to anything. I just have not found anyone running a 2017 for three 3000 miles with any kit that that has said "it's done and I love it." "The proof of the pudding is in the eating," Sir Roy Harrods, 1886.