Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First things to do? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99777)

AgentNH 01-08-2016 08:23 AM

First things to do?

Hello!

I currently can't drive, but in about 2 years I can, and I want a BRZ as my first car. I would like to tune it, starting small and then moving up into installing turbos and exhaust etc. I would do body mods (planning on stancing it, but with next to none or no camber) last, unless need be. I am just curious what are the first things I should do to the BRZ as I tune it, most likely just into a Daily Driver and maybe tracking it a couple times and doing quarter miles, etc.

Tcoat 01-08-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentNH (Post 2502347)
Hello!

I currently can't drive, but in about 2 years I can, and I want a BRZ as my first car. I would like to tune it, starting small and then moving up into installing turbos and exhaust etc. I would do body mods (planning on stancing it, but with next to none or no camber) last, unless need be. I am just curious what are the first things I should do to the BRZ as I tune it, most likely just into a Daily Driver and maybe tracking it a couple times and doing quarter miles, etc.

Well Agent it seems you are putting the cart before the horse a tad. Keep in mind that some of your plans may cancel each other out. Stance and tracking although not mutually exclusive can present some serious issues especially for a new driver. Although there are ways to have a car that crosses into different interests you usually have to sort of pick one "purpose" and work around that.
The best thing you can do as a first step is get the car and drive it stock for a while. The plans and dreams are great but once you can actually drive it you may change your mind on some of them.

Until that time there is some great reading to be found here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96158

Jfheisenberg 01-08-2016 08:46 AM

I would just enjoy the car the way it is stock which is pretty good imo. If you want to mods, i would get an exhaust setup, this makes the driving experience more enjoyable (if you are into exhaust notes and whatever)

As far as installing turbo and tuning the car, if you have deep pockets then go for it... From what i have read/research it can be expensive and things could potentially go wrong if not done right. With that said, you have to have the cash for any fix/repairs... Or if you are looking for a fast car without going through much hassle, then maybe look for a 370z or mustang.

Summerwolf 01-08-2016 08:58 AM

I wouldn't buy an 86.

Tcoat 01-08-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentNH (Post 2502347)
Hello!

I currently can't drive, but in about 2 years I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2502370)
I wouldn't buy an 86.

Maybe he will be able to get the 300hp, dual turbo, awd, 2018 version.

Summerwolf 01-08-2016 09:48 AM

Well, that's definitely what someone needs as a first car!

Joyride86 01-08-2016 10:30 AM

This is like planning to get married, house, kids, etc. However, you have to get the girl first. Your first girl may not be the one. In 2 years your priorities can change and you might want something else.

I love the enthusiasm though. First cars are exciting. Just got to take it 1 step at a time.

Mr.ac 01-08-2016 10:32 AM

I'll just wait till you see what mom and dad can afford for you. Then go from there. It may the BRZ you want or it may be the family mini van.

Romanov 01-08-2016 11:23 AM

Get the car first, enjoy it. Find out what you don't like and start changing a little bit at a time. That's what I've been doing. And I've never wanted to go directly to the turbo or stancing my car, it'll slowly get it to where I want it to be eventually.

go_a_way1 01-08-2016 11:34 AM

Go drive a "stance" car first and see if you can live with it haha!

MisterSheep 01-08-2016 11:39 AM

Why does this thread even exsist?...

go_a_way1 01-08-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSheep (Post 2502581)
Why does this thread even exsist?...

I question this too

Edit: and why is it not a sh*t show yet?

MisterSheep 01-08-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2502583)
I question this too

Edit: and why is it not a sh*t show yet?

What's your favorite color?

soulreapersteve 01-08-2016 11:42 AM

I thought this was my brother for a second. -__-

Then I read OP plans on tracking it. Was about to go to his room and smack him around.