Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Today I Learned... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143874)

JD001 10-02-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3550226)
I have a rack of shelves behind me filled completely with tools, hobby shit, and whatever. I make a point of keeping it real whenever I'm on camera. Fuck those background effects.

If I had a "real" shelf, I would be up to mischief!! Hiding secret "fuck off" messages!!

Ultramaroon 10-02-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3550228)
If I had a "real" shelf, I would be up to mischief!! Hiding secret "fuck off" messages!!

Oh, there's some mischief mixed in there. All in good fun.

Sapphireho 10-02-2022 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Dadhawk 10-03-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3550228)

The wall unit in my home office has two Oculus Quests, a full size helmet replica from Fallout 3, a couple of FRS models, a good bit of Star Wars, Star Trek and gaming "toys" and a collector's edition box of Mad Magazine on CD in a big box that says "What, Me Worry" on it, all visible when I'm on camera.

JD001 10-03-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3550352)
The wall unit in my home office has two Oculus Quests, a full size helmet replica from Fallout 3, a couple of FRS models, a good bit of Star Wars, Star Trek and gaming "toys" and a collector's edition box of Mad Magazine on CD in a big box that says "What, Me Worry" on it, all visible when I'm on camera.

One of our cosultants has a similar set-up, Star Wars mad.. he goes for the T shirts too..

My brother-in-law produces some crazy Star Wars art, see below (halfway down the home page):

https://www.cdkingbooks.com/

Dadhawk 10-03-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3550410)
One of our cosultants has a similar set-up, Star Wars mad.. he goes for the T shirts too..

My brother-in-law produces some crazy Star Wars art, see below (halfway down the home page):

https://www.cdkingbooks.com/

Nearly all of the sci-fi/gaming stuff was given to me by my sons. It's cool stuff, but not something I actively collect or buy.

soundman98 10-05-2022 11:31 PM

today i and the carpenter on the job both learned that we were working for the god of all customers. he knew carpentry better than the carpenter, kept telling him how to build a deck(despite not having anything more than basic tools everywhere), and his 10 minute google searching meant that he knew more about electrical than i've ever known in my 10+ years of doing it.

he was adding a hot tub, with a full deck, and landscaping, after he already did a full in-ground pool setup. so he's literally funneled money into his backyard...

every hot tub needs an electrical disconnect "within sight of the hot tub" per electrical code.

despite every issue i raised, he kept insisting that it had to be around a corner, below the deck, and demanding that it be placed underneath the deck that was going to have a full skirting put over the top... spent most of the morning talking with him about this, trying to get him to agree to move it to somewhere that would best meet code where it was actually within sight instead of tucked away under a deck which serves the opposite of the purpose.

and finally he just shouts "there's only one way to decipher the code, it's fine here, it's going here, and if this doesn't work, i'm calling this entire project off, no more electrical work, no more deck, no more landscaping!"......

so i shrugged, called the boss, who told me to let this amazing person know that we'll put it wherever he wants, but we're not going to be liable, or eat the cost, if the inspector doesn't agree with his reasoning or location...

i'm still reeling a little from the experience. it reminded me of the entitled only-child up the block i grew up at that didn't have any friends on the block for a good reason...

but on the up side, now i know who i need to call when i don't 'understand' electrical code!

Sapphireho 10-06-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3550841)
today i and the carpenter on the job both learned that we were working for the god of all customers. he knew carpentry better than the carpenter, kept telling him how to build a deck(despite not having anything more than basic tools everywhere), and his 10 minute google searching meant that he knew more about electrical than i've ever known in my 10+ years of doing it.

he was adding a hot tub, with a full deck, and landscaping, after he already did a full in-ground pool setup. so he's literally funneled money into his backyard...

every hot tub needs an electrical disconnect "within sight of the hot tub" per electrical code.

despite every issue i raised, he kept insisting that it had to be around a corner, below the deck, and demanding that it be placed underneath the deck that was going to have a full skirting put over the top... spent most of the morning talking with him about this, trying to get him to agree to move it to somewhere that would best meet code where it was actually within sight instead of tucked away under a deck which serves the opposite of the purpose.

and finally he just shouts "there's only one way to decipher the code, it's fine here, it's going here, and if this doesn't work, i'm calling this entire project off, no more electrical work, no more deck, no more landscaping!"......

so i shrugged, called the boss, who told me to let this amazing person know that we'll put it wherever he wants, but we're not going to be liable, or eat the cost, if the inspector doesn't agree with his reasoning or location...

i'm still reeling a little from the experience. it reminded me of the entitled only-child up the block i grew up at that didn't have any friends on the block for a good reason...

but on the up side, now i know who i need to call when i don't 'understand' electrical code!

My shut-off for my tub is on my panel in my pantry in the kitchen. I hope I don't die.

soundman98 10-06-2022 01:01 AM

bite me

Captain Snooze 10-06-2022 01:25 AM

Quote:

Does that actually work? You are doing improper work (not following the code) so just telling the customer that you are not liable doesn't read legit.

soundman98 10-06-2022 02:38 AM

I brushed over a lot of details, somewhat intentionally, don't need anyone following me online...

Its a gray area that really comes down to the inspectors individual interpretation of code wording. Technically, the location was within line of sight, so it met the bare minimum, but there's a strong argument that could be made that while it's accessible, it's not readily accessible in case of emergency. Which is why I can do it instead of flat out telling him I can't. He originally wanted it on the house another 50' further away obscured in the bushes, which I told him could never happen.

A union inspector would tag it because we're a non-union company. But an easy going inspector would see the interpretation and let it go. It's walking a very thin line that while technically correct, it's not normally a line we would take, because we'd rather plan for the most obtuse inspector and not have to deal with getting our work red-tagged, fixed, and reinspected.

But then jumping between 2 states with drastically different inspection measures(indiana is a singular statewide code with county-wide inspectors, Illinois is individual town/inspector base,and every one of them is differentd), we tend to do stuff a lot more overkill to satisfy some of the more unique inspectors requirements we deal with.

soundman98 10-06-2022 10:58 PM

here's a fun one.

ever need a singular device that entirely eliminates the effects of EMP bursts, sun flares, and electrical surges?

this device does it all, for only $400. oh, and they make one for houses and cars!
https://www.empshield.com/

don't worry, it's military-spec tested, so it HAS to be good!

2020BRZtS 10-06-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Long time lurker... infrequent caller... love the flair.

Why does any of this surprise you? You've contributed to the majority of the threads on this forum and 90% is questions asked and answered by the OP with a few knowledgable tid bits in the middle. It's no different IRL.

soundman98 10-06-2022 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS (Post 3551004)
Long time lurker... infrequent caller... love the flair.

Why does any of this surprise you? You've contributed to the majority of the threads on this forum and 90% is questions asked and answered by the OP with a few knowledgable tid bits in the middle. It's no different IRL.

you're right. it shouldn't.

but there is a dramatic difference between reality and keyboard warriors. i talk way more through a keyboard than i do in reality!

i guess it's easier to picture all of those posts as young idiots who don't know any better :)