Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Twins vs 2015 Mk7 VW Golf R (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78034)

nzer 11-22-2014 01:41 AM

Twins vs 2015 Mk7 VW Golf R

I posted this on the VW GTI thread but they really are two different golfs.

Finally got my wife's brand new 2015 Mk7 VW Golf R (done 1,600km) on the track today.

Verdict and opinion vs 86

The Golf R:
The performance of the Golf R was amazing but...

Even with road tyres and traction control and me driving was seriously quick. got a 1:25.6 without really trying. This is about 3s a lap faster than I can do in my 86 that has all the extras (see the build thread in the footer on this post).

Caught and overtook three porsches. With a good driver using the flappy paddles and traction control off it should be low 1:20s (8-10s faster per lap than my 86) in stock form and probably quicker given the good 86 drivers are 5s quicker per lap than me.

Needs better brake pads and fluid as felt a bit spungy trying to slow it from 185kph at end of ecen the relatively short straights on our track.

Was a lot of fun but not sure I'll be able to pry it off my wife much. She couldn't be there today so I got to use it!

Versus the 86:
Different cars so it depends what you want. it was great keeping up with the Porsches for a change and not being frustrated with no power to get by people that are holding you up in the corners.

However under hard braking and around corners even with the chasis control set to "race" it still feels like a boat.

I think it is more of a challenge trying to drive the 86 fast and keeping revs up.

I can also push the 86 harder and learn without the fear of overdoing it at close to 200kph. With my 86 in particular with the Brembo brakes you do have more safety margin.

And, as much as the R costs almost twice as much as a base 86 it is still a golf. More people stop and look at a base 86 than a top of the range golf.

I still love the gokart feel of the 86 on the corners. A hatch just isn't the same. I have been driving my 86 for so long even the golf feels like a high sided van in the corners!

One is a sports car built from the ground up while the other (like many "performance cars") is a regular car with a whole heap of horsepower added and suspension tweaked etc.

Without paying a huge amount of money there's not many genuine sports cars out there. Look how much the FT1 will cost!

The Golf R is fun, but I love my 86 far more. It has character and reward driving well rather than just a heavy right foot.

Of course if you do have to get a more "family" car like I had to then the Golf R is perfect to have something you'll still enjoy driving and can take to track - the best of both worlds.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/fes5fgta.lth.jpg

abraxis 11-22-2014 01:57 AM

Well, you realize as cool as the TRD stuff may look, you made your car a couple seconds slower than a base 86 right? Per most of published comparisons of the TRD and non TRD 86s.

nzer 11-22-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxis (Post 2031489)
Well, you realize as cool as the TRD stuff may look, you made your car a couple seconds slower than a base 86 right? Per most of published comparisons of the TRD and non TRD 86s.

You may well be right regarding the UK and USA TRD versions but remember this is an international forum.

The New Zealand TRD version has Brembo six pots on the front that allow braking consistently (no fade in my track sessions) and a rigidity kit. Mine also has TRD coilovers with race springs.

The good drivers that drive my car that have 86s are amazed at the more planted feel around corners and how much later they can brake (so faster times). And the TWS wheels (rebadged TRD) are very light.

This thread is really a comparison of the Golf R to any 86 as I have also owned a GT86 version here before buying the TRD GT86 version. If you want to start an 86 vs TRD 86 thread feel free and I'll happily contribute.

superleggera 11-23-2014 06:12 PM

I actually traded in a mk6 R for my BRZ. While the R was quick and more practical, it just lacked character and wasn't very fun to drive. I would love to drive a mk7 R at some point though.

Agent 86 11-23-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superleggera (Post 2032728)
I actually traded in a mk6 R for my BRZ. While the R was quick and more practical, it just lacked character and wasn't very fun to drive. I would love to drive a mk7 R at some point though.

:D I did exactly the same thing. Traded my 2013 Rising Blue Golf R 4door for my 2014 BRZ. Got $29k for my R. The BRZ OTD was only $27k. :D

For me, the R was a blast to drive and very quick. I miss some of the creature comforts and interior refinement, but I'm loving my 2 month old BRZ and can't see trading for anything short of a Cayman S. :)

CyberFormula 12-07-2014 01:55 PM

What about GTI performance pack on that track...how fast?

nzer 12-07-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberFormula (Post 2047471)
What about GTI performance pack on that track...how fast?

No idea sorry.

Here in NZ we have three performance options. Golf GTI, Golf GTI with Performance Pack and Golf R.

The Golf R basically has the performance pack and then 4 motion as well. Since, like with my 86, I went for the top spec I'm not sure about the GTI with performance pack on track although from the reviews I hear it's great and some say it is better than the Golf R with 4 motion even though it has less power.

CyberFormula 12-21-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nzer (Post 2047553)
No idea sorry.

Here in NZ we have three performance options. Golf GTI, Golf GTI with Performance Pack and Golf R.

The Golf R basically has the performance pack and then 4 motion as well. Since, like with my 86, I went for the top spec I'm not sure about the GTI with performance pack on track although from the reviews I hear it's great and some say it is better than the Golf R with 4 motion even though it has less power.

Golf R doesn't have the lsd that the GTI performance has.

nzer 12-21-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberFormula (Post 2064406)
Golf R doesn't have the lsd that the GTI performance has.

Due to being 4 motion I assume?

CyberFormula 01-06-2015 06:01 AM

It has front and rear differential and a haldex coupling in the rear. No limited slip.

It does have xds which is brake torque vectoring

I honestling don't think awd cars really need lsd. Especially if the computer ensures grip and power going to the right side of the car

DarkSunrise 01-06-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberFormula (Post 2079117)
It has front and rear differential and a haldex coupling in the rear. No limited slip.

It does have xds which is brake torque vectoring

I honestling don't think awd cars really need lsd. Especially if the computer ensures grip and power going to the right side of the car

I'm not a big fan of XDS brake-torque vectoring, especially at the track. At least from my experience with my GTI, it causes a lot of heat to build up in the brakes over repeated laps. I had issues with my brake fluid boiling and I know other GTI owners who have prematurely destroyed brake pads.

My STI had LSD's in the front and rear and I think that -- and active torque vectoring systems like Mitsubishi's AYC or Acura's SH-AWD -- are much better solutions in practice. The only time brake-torque vectoring seems to survive abuse at the track is on cars that come with huge brakes/BBKs, like the 12c.

Just my 2c. :)

kiichiro 01-06-2015 10:08 AM

The MQB r is gonna rock, we drove the new s3 and holy cows jumping over the moon you vw guys are in for a treat, I mean a treat

Must try the new golf r, maybe even buy

The inability to turn off nannies was a deal breaker for me, i hear that's gone on the new model upcoming

I love friggin love driving the golf r, spent some time in a 2013 stick with nav, wow, holy commuter heaven

I have a rule about not putting anything with a haldex in my garage, just dislike the failure mode of that setup, but time will tell if MQB brings any newer design for the old haldex oil and plate mess

Slipstream 01-06-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiichiro (Post 2079293)
The inability to turn off nannies was a deal breaker for me, i hear that's gone on the new model upcoming

Supposedly there are already VAGCOM hacks available that allow you to disable the traction control completely on the GTI. :thumbsup:

DarkSunrise 01-06-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipstream (Post 2079435)
Supposedly there are already VAGCOM hacks available that allow you to disable the traction control completely on the GTI. :thumbsup:

For GTI's, depends on year. I know it doesn't work on 2011's. Seems to work best on 2012+ models.