Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Most *fun* forced induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107819)

bfrank1972 07-01-2016 09:22 AM

Most *fun* forced induction

Ok in a variation of the millions "turbo vs supercharger" threads out there, I haven't really seen one that asks the question "Which do you think is more FUN to drive, and why?"

Assuming we're talking about the various stage 1/2 "street" kits (JR/Kraftwerks/Vortech centrifugal SC, Edelbrock/Harrop/Sprintex 210 intercooled positive displacement, AVO/Greddy/SBD/JDL/similar stage 1 kits), do you prefer the 'zingy' top end nature of centrifugal setups, the torquey & responsive nature of positive displacement superchargers, or the surge feel of a turbo kit?

Obviously heavily based on driving style, personal opinion, etc., so not looking for heated debates here.

Yoda 07-01-2016 10:04 AM

Only ever had turbo soooo. Turbo

OkieSnuffBox 07-01-2016 10:11 AM

I'd say Turbo, since the way they make power tends to make the car "feel" faster than it is.

slicktop 07-01-2016 10:20 AM

Been in both a turbo and SC FRS. Turbo is the way to go x1000 for fun factor. SC felt slow.

weederr33 07-01-2016 10:27 AM

I've only driven in a PD supercharged car (mine). It's lots of fun, but if you like that sudden surge, then turbo is obviously the best choice. But I do like the larger engine feel of a PD kit. It's kinda like a V6 feel, which is just right, and it's linear and predictable.

Tectoniic 07-01-2016 10:44 AM

I know everyone wants their turbo to spool ASAP but I always liked that feeling of anticipation and then getting pushed back in the seat with a slower spooling turbo.

I also love supercharger whine and prefer the whine over the turbo wooshy noises(which i still like) but overall in my opinion Turbo + Wooshy > SC + Whine

Tcoat 07-01-2016 10:46 AM

Please define "fun".

-Phil 07-01-2016 10:47 AM

I have had a 210 Sprintex on my car as well as a 335. I currently have a turbo kit and i would recommend not following my footsteps and skip straight to the turbo.

Tectoniic 07-01-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2694373)
Please define "fun".

I think the question wants to know how you define fun :P

Tcoat 07-01-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tectoniic (Post 2694379)
I think the question wants to know how you define fun :P

Possibly. I guess the "why" part could be taken to mean that.

bfrank1972 07-01-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2694373)
Please define "fun".

I bet you're great at parties! :D

Fun = what makes you smile when you hit the go pedal, zing, surge, or grunt

Some good points about sound too - in addition to delivery, sound is a big part of fun factor methinks...

Tcoat 07-01-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 2694438)
I bet you're great at parties! :D

Fun = what makes you smile when you hit the go pedal, zing, surge, or grunt

Some good points about sound too - in addition to delivery, sound is a big part of fun factor methinks...

Actually I am!

I don't smile from just hitting the go pedal. I smile from wringing out an engine and transmission to make the car do what I want. Anybody can hit a go pedal. Don't find it fun at all (anymore) to get pushed back in a seat for 2 seconds just to have to back off because I am way over the limit or there is somebody in front of me. Now some of my old muscle cars that would pick the wheels up for 50 feet on launch THAT was fun!

As far as the original question goes I would agree with Tect's comment that I always liked the sound of a SC over a turbo. That belt whine beats the turbo noise any day.

bfrank1972 07-01-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2694451)
Actually I am!

I don't smile from just hitting the go pedal. I smile from wringing out an engine and transmission to make the car do what I want. Anybody can hit a go pedal. Don't find it fun at all (anymore) to get pushed back in a seat for 2 seconds just to have to back off because I am way over the limit or there is somebody in front of me. Now some of my old muscle cars that would pick the wheels up for 50 feet on launch THAT was fun!

As far as the original question goes I would agree with Tect's comment that I always liked the sound of a SC over a turbo. That belt whine beats the turbo noise any day.

Hah I'm sure, just poking fun - yeah that's the thing with power in general, you do get used to whatever you have in most cases (at least when talking about the 'tame' street kits out there).

Just really focusing more on what people prefer when it comes to how they deliver power. So far there's an overwhelming bias to turbos!:party0030:

Tcoat 07-01-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 2694472)
Hah I'm sure, just poking fun - yeah that's the thing with power in general, you do get used to whatever you have in most cases (at least when talking about the 'tame' street kits out there).

Just really focusing more on what people prefer when it comes to how they deliver power. So far there's an overwhelming bias to turbos!:party0030:

I have had turboed cars and that sudden hit of power is certainly exhilarating. That is until you get used to it and then you need even more to get the same rush.
I have never owned a SC car but have driven many. You don't get that kick in the seat and of course the numbers are not as big to brag about on Facebook but there is still something to be said for the more linear power delivery.

Both have their good and bad points.