Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Yellow/green stain after badge removal with wd40 goo gone (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141124)

golemslord 06-26-2020 02:36 AM

Yellow/green stain after badge removal with wd40 goo gone

Hello, there's a weird yellow stain after I debadged the front emblem and used wd40 and goo gone for residue?

I have no idea how it happened. I was using a yellow microfiber cloth, wd40 and, goo gone automotive spray. After several scrubs I notice the area I'm scrubbing is turning yellow

I immediately used nail polish remover in hopes of removing any chemical residue. It took away some stain but not all. The stain is all over the front emblem area but not where the adhesive was. If that makes sense. It's also in the area where I was scrubbing (area around emblem).

To add, after using wd40, I notice the tape residue is turning green. But wd40 won't normally cause stain?

What caused this and how should I fix it?

Thank you

MyRx 06-27-2020 02:28 PM

Do you have a pic? I’m thinking you may have stained the clear coat. If that’s the case, put some rubbing compound on a mf towel and rub the affected areas. Don’t use any more chemicals.

DarkPira7e 06-27-2020 02:31 PM

Try a buffing complaint or wetsanding.

RToyo86 06-27-2020 02:38 PM

Small chance an iron/fallout remover may get it out.

I'd just use a polish with a MF, and if that doesn't work a compound will get it out. Follow up with a polish to bring back depth and clarity.

MyRx 06-27-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3344704)
Try a buffing complaint or wetsanding.

Wetsanding wouldn’t be for a beginner. Much more aggressive than using a medium/heavy cut compound and a mf towel. What the op decribes, the wd40 may have bled the yellow mf towel onto the clearcoat. Start with light/medium compound and mf towel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3344706)
Small chance an iron/fallout remover may get it out.

I'd just use a polish with a MF, and if that doesn't work a compound will get it out. Follow up with a polish to bring back depth and clarity.

Exactly 👍

No chance iron decon will remove a stain. That’s a chemical decon, he needs a mechanical action - compound and a mf towel.

golemslord 06-28-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRx (Post 3344721)
Wetsanding wouldn’t be for a beginner. Much more aggressive than using a medium/heavy cut compound and a mf towel. What the op decribes, the wd40 may have bled the yellow mf towel onto the clearcoat. Start with light/medium compound and mf towel.

Exactly 👍

No chance iron decon will remove a stain. That’s a chemical decon, he needs a mechanical action - compound and a mf towel.

Dam that might be the reason...the mf was new too. I have used a degreaser and it didn't work. So then I used a rubbing compound, polish, then wax. Around 80% of the stain is gone. I'll stop there incase I destroy the paint

JD001 06-28-2020 05:56 AM

Just had a thought, if you can't make it go away then I suggest that you stick a badge over it.. the brilliance of this suggestion is that the bonnet has a small indentation and some carefully crafted lines that will take your eye to the badge.. almost as if it was designed to have badge there....

MyRx 06-28-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 3344835)
Dam that might be the reason...the mf was new too. I have used a degreaser and it didn't work. So then I used a rubbing compound, polish, then wax. Around 80% of the stain is gone. I'll stop there incase I destroy the paint

Nah, keep going. If you’re rubbing by hand, no worries. You won’t penetrate the clearcoat - you’re merely rubbing off a micro nano layer of the clearcoat. Use your phone light and check for micro swirls, stop if you see the swirls multiply. When rubbing, use different sections of the mf. The fibers tend to “lay down” and defeats its purpose after prolong rubbing.

Do you have a non-yellow mf towel? Or a washed clean one? Avoid using a brand new, unwashed yellow mf. Any slight cleaner on a colored mf can bleed out onto a surface.

golemslord 07-01-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3344837)
Just had a thought, if you can't make it go away then I suggest that you stick a badge over it.. the brilliance of this suggestion is that the bonnet has a small indentation and some carefully crafted lines that will take your eye to the badge.. almost as if it was designed to have badge there....

haha yeah i already have black gloss scion badges ready, but this problem delayed the process of putting it on :P