Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Topping brake fluid (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151158)

droopynips 09-20-2022 10:19 PM

Topping brake fluid

Hello guys,

new to this forum and new to car maintenance as a whole really. I have been driving an AT 2013 Scion FR-S, second owner since 2018, car has 85km on the odometer. It has been driving smooth, 0 issues so far, oil changed every 5km etc. but no other major maintenance done.

However, recently I have been getting intermittent brake light signal on the dash when I come to a stop ie, at traffic lights.

I read it could be my brake oil fluid needs to be topped up? I doubt my pads have been worn, as I drive just for commute and am very easy on the whip.

My question is then, if I were to top the oil up, can I just add oil to the canister, or do I have to drain the old oil out first completely? If I can simply add oil, the cap says DOT 3 oil, can I just add any brand of DOT 3 oil to it, or could it possibly cause an issue due to incompatible mixing from the previous fill?

Thanks guys and I love you all :threadjacked::party0030::w00t:

soundman98 09-20-2022 10:23 PM

brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k miles, per the manual.

it starts off clear. if it's black, it's likely time to change it.

but you're likely also getting low on brake pads, and there's not enough fluid to compensate. i'd definitely look over the entire brake system. at a minimum, replace the brake fluid, but be prepared to be doing build, pads, and possibly rotors as well.

droopynips 09-20-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3548172)

but you're likely also getting low on brake pads, and there's not enough fluid to compensate. i'd definitely look over the entire brake system. at a minimum, replace the brake fluid, but be prepared to be doing build, pads, and possibly rotors as well.

Is this something easy enough to do myself, in terms of the brake fluid change? Or will I get gouged by taking it to a mechanic?

I checked the brake oil fluid earlier today, and it didn't look too bad, definitely not black, transparent and orange like urine I suppose.

Cheers for your help I appreciate it.

soundman98 09-20-2022 11:02 PM

it can be done yourself. if it's worth it is a different story. i prefer to pay someone to do it. if nothing else, then i can blame everyone else for my brakes failing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5O_pbC8R2E

bcj 09-21-2022 12:38 AM

If you're getting a dash light for low brake fluid, it needs to be addressed, sharpish.
The fluid has gone somewhere - it's not known to evaporate spontaneously.
Either the brakes are worn low and it's gone into the calipers, or there's a leak somewhere.

Being a second owner, it's more than likely the previous may have used the pads more than you think.
It would be good to measure them directly by removing a wheel or two to check.

A lot of generic UTubs about how to change brake pads and bleed brake systems.
It's not rocket surgery. Takes some tools though and a place to do it.
Get on it now, before the weather changes ;)

Find out the pad condition first, before adding more to the reservoir.
If you wind up changing the pads after all and push the caliper pistons back in,
it will gush out the top and all over the engine bay.

Oh, it's glycol based brake fluid, not oil at all.
Be careful with it. It can act like stripper on painted surfaces.
Can wash it off with soap and water if you do it quick.

Orange means old and degraded enough to require bleeding in fresh.
The manual recommends "FMVSS No. 116 DOT3, or DOT4".
They are standards and who makes them won't matter.
I use DOT4 as it's more recent.
Bleeding the system will replace what's there with no issues, which ever is in there now.

Ultramaroon 09-21-2022 01:47 AM

If you top off the fluid while worn pads are still installed, it will overflow when the pots are pushed back into the calipers to make room for new pads.

Sapphireho 09-21-2022 01:59 AM

if your urine is orange, forget about your brakes for a bit and go see your doctor asap.

bcj 09-21-2022 02:11 AM

Glass of water along with the tree martooni lunch.
Water. Not a G&T.

soundman98 09-21-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3548208)
if your urine is orange, forget about your brakes for a bit and go see your doctor asap.

unless you had about 30 fruit rollups.

x808drifter 09-22-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3548361)
unless you had about 30 fruit rollups.

What about 28? Am I good?

Sapphireho 09-22-2022 09:51 AM

So is this the Chinese exchange student car that basically sat for 9 years with 43km on it?

You should change every fluid in the car due to cars age.

There will be no need to do anything with brake pads etc. with only 89km on the car. They are still new.

droopynips 09-22-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3548474)
So is this the Chinese exchange student car that basically sat for 9 years with 43km on it?

You should change every fluid in the car due to cars age.

There will be no need to do anything with brake pads etc. with only 89km on the car. They are still new.

As of now the car has about 85000km on the odometer. What are all of the fluids I should change? I have only changed the oil so far.

Sapphireho 09-22-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droopynips (Post 3548481)
As of now the car has about 85000km on the odometer. What are all of the fluids I should change? I have only changed the oil so far.

Ok, first maybe you could clarify what you know about the history of the car. You said in another thread you bought is with 43km, then first post of this thread you said you bought it in 2018 and now has 85km?

So did you buy it in '18 with 43km, and you've driven it to 85000km? If this is true, with no service other than oil changes, I would:

Have brakes inspected, replace pads and rotors if needed, replace brake fluid.

Service transmission. (AT or MT)

Service rear end.

Flush cooling system. Replace with proper anti-freeze. It's early mileage wise, but car is almost 10 year old, so I would do.

I'll assume you are changing air filter at proper intervals?

CGS has a good link to give you an idea of maintenance needs

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/b...86-subaru-brz/

Edit: and so does your owners manual.

WNDSRFR 09-22-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3548172)

You're kidding me! Every 30K miles?
That means I should have changed it 7 times by now.
I've changed it 0 times. Added a little fluid once because it was a little low. I added about a bottle caps full. Brakes work fine.