Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Invidia Q300 tips falling off after 3 weeks, what do? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149883)

Wingnutt 05-24-2022 03:03 PM

Invidia Q300 tips falling off after 3 weeks, what do?

I picked up a Q300 titanium exhaust and it has been great so far, sounds amazing with a straight through mid pipe and header. however I noticed a weird buzzing/rattle at some RPMs a few days ago. It turns out the tips, which are riveted on, are both coming loose, the passenger side is worse than the driver but both are loose and its making a metallic buzzing/rattle.

I called invidia and to my dread they told me to contact the seller, who is 86 speed, who is email only (despite having a phone number) and my recent experiences with them has been less than enjoyable.

So what is the fix? re-rivet it my self? Ideas?

p1l0t 05-24-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnutt (Post 3525214)
I picked up a Q300 titanium exhaust and it has been great so far, sounds amazing with a straight through mid pipe and header. however I noticed a weird buzzing/rattle at some RPMs a few days ago. It turns out the tips, which are riveted on, are both coming loose, the passenger side is worse than the driver but both are loose and its making a metallic buzzing/rattle.

I called invidia and to my dread they told me to contact the seller, who is 86 speed, who is email only (despite having a phone number) and my recent experiences with them has been less than enjoyable.

Yeah just fix the rivets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

orz 05-24-2022 03:21 PM

you could try those exhaust tip clamps. I see those all the time at Autozone

demasrv 05-24-2022 03:58 PM

Just fix the rivets!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

humfrz 05-24-2022 04:03 PM

Or, ........ do the humfrz method.

Take the car in to a local muffler shop and have them weld those puppies on.

Have a cup of coffee, read an auto magazine, finish your coffee, pay them, go home and take a nap.

:thumbsup:

Joon525 05-24-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnutt (Post 3525214)

https://youtu.be/aPx-hhgayJs

Wingnutt 05-24-2022 05:13 PM

Wow, so this is just a thing.. that's pretty piss poor, 3 weeks after buying a not cheap exhaust I get to be my own goddamn muffler shop.

They didn't offer to send me anything, just some Indian dude told me to call a dealer.

I might just try to weld it, but if those tips are really titanium that might be a problem, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they were Chinese pot metal.

clio 05-24-2022 06:35 PM

That's a cheap and nasty design. I'd want them TIG welded.

Wingnutt 05-24-2022 08:23 PM

Sticking steel and titanium together is far from easy, it can be done sort of but the welds are typically rather brittle.

gen3v8 05-25-2022 02:19 AM

I used some quality hose clamps on my wrx with the q300 tip rattle. Fixed it and lasted for years until I sold it.

spcmafia 05-25-2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnutt (Post 3525272)
Wow, so this is just a thing.. that's pretty piss poor, 3 weeks after buying a not cheap exhaust I get to be my own goddamn muffler shop.

They didn't offer to send me anything, just some Indian dude told me to call a dealer.

I might just try to weld it, but if those tips are really titanium that might be a problem, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they were Chinese pot metal.

The better choice actually is to sell it, and get yourself a Greddy/HKS, or anything that won't wear out the packing in less than a year and get noticeably louder. I had the Q300 and in the short time I had it, maybe 5 months, it got noticeably louder. I do have to admit that I always had a thing for HKS parts.

demasrv 05-25-2022 02:01 PM

Weird, I've had the q300 for 5ish years now and I've never experienced the rattle.

gen3v8 05-25-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demasrv (Post 3525459)
Weird, I've had the q300 for 5ish years now and I've never experienced the rattle.

Seems to be the Titanium tips(blue colored end) that get the rattle. My Sti has stainless tips and is fine. Maybe they are welded?

demasrv 05-25-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen3v8 (Post 3525469)
Seems to be the Titanium tips(blue colored end) that get the rattle. My Sti has stainless tips and is fine. Maybe they are welded?

I have the blue tips! I'm going to go look at them when I get home and see.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk