Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clutch slipping for one second (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147387)

prannoy 10-29-2021 02:55 AM

Clutch slipping for one second

Hi guys,

So I’m kinda new to the group.. and I had a small question.

I own a Toyota 86, 2013 model. 165k km on the odo. 2 weeks back I started hearing a very slight “shhhh” sound when I engage my clutch that only I can hear when the car is silent.. Did a couple of research and I thought it could be the throw out bearing(I could be wrong). Anyways fast forward two weeks, last night, I went for a drive, kinda pushed my car from second to third gear, and later I was driving down the highway, and I noticed on my 5th gear when I was pressing on the gas pedal, around 3.5 rpm my clutch slipped for one second till 4 rpm and came back to normal. Same thing happened on 6th gear as well. But the car runs absolutely fine on all other gears. No clutch burning smell, no gear cranking sound, nothing.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the issue? A million thanks in advance!

x808drifter 10-29-2021 05:59 AM

The clutch is worn out.
Replace it and the TOB before you get stranded somewhere.

humfrz 10-29-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prannoy (Post 3476772)
Hi guys,

So I’m kinda new to the group.. and I had a small question.

I own a Toyota 86, 2013 model. 165k km on the odo. 2 weeks back I started hearing a very slight “shhhh” sound when I engage my clutch that only I can hear when the car is silent.. Did a couple of research and I thought it could be the throw out bearing(I could be wrong). Anyways fast forward two weeks, last night, I went for a drive, kinda pushed my car from second to third gear, and later I was driving down the highway, and I noticed on my 5th gear when I was pressing on the gas pedal, around 3.5 rpm my clutch slipped for one second till 4 rpm and came back to normal. Same thing happened on 6th gear as well. But the car runs absolutely fine on all other gears. No clutch burning smell, no gear cranking sound, nothing.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the issue? A million thanks in advance!

With that many miles (km) on a 2013, if the TOB hasn't been replaced, it would be a good preventative maintenance thing to do. While you are in there, might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate too.

Ultramaroon 10-29-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3476783)
The clutch is worn out.
Replace it and the TOB before you get stranded somewhere.

+1