Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HDPE tire (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104480)

klear 04-15-2016 06:19 PM

HDPE tire

Hello all, I am going to be doing 3-4 HDPE/tracking events a year and am looking for a tire recommendation. I am looking in the 225/45/17 size on a 17x8 (CE28N) wheel. I see lots of autocross threads discussing RS3, RE71R, star specs, Rival S but will these be the best choice for a more road course oriented car? If it matters I will be tracking in AZ (spring, fall, winter) so cold weather isn't the norm. This will be my first time tracking the BRZ, most of my seat time has been in a V7 STI (my other car). Also already have swapped in ferodo DS2500 pads and motul RBF660 fluid and swapped to stainless lines while I was down there.

Thanks

Mr.ac 04-15-2016 09:23 PM

Those tires you mention would all work great. I never hear of Rival S, so I don't know about that.

Pretty much it's really up to you and your wallet.

I personally used RS3 and Star Specs before, for both autox and track days, in 100 degree weather on my MR2 and they hold up well.

OkieSnuffBox 04-15-2016 09:32 PM

What is your goal?

If you aren't worried about winning at AutoX, I'd be tempted to have a separate set of wheels and R-comps for HPDE. If you have experience, like you mentioned, it gets old protecting street tires in long, hard sessions.

EvoPrecision8 04-15-2016 09:45 PM

If you're looking to stick with a street tire I'd recommend taking a look at the AD08R or RS3. RE71R and Rival S are more focused on autocross and are not well suited to road course driving with extended sessions. If you're looking to go into an R Comp, the NT01 is a good option.

Mingo 04-15-2016 09:49 PM

I'm super happy with my RE71R 225/45-17 on oz ultraleggera. Good thing about this tire is that it's suppose to provide better wet traction on the street than the other tires. The tires are very linear so noobs like me won't go greasing into walls.

However I'd eventually want to move over to dedicated track tires.

Currently I'm on stock power and stock suspension.

OkieSnuffBox 04-15-2016 09:54 PM

I did plenty of wet sessions in my Miata on R888s.

Those sessions aren't about times, they are about learning to feel the grip level and adjust to it. Even my instructor asked a few times how I saved a few hiccups.

I told him all my previous experience was on 2 wheels. :)

klear 04-15-2016 09:59 PM

I'm not at the point yet of having a separate track setup just yet. I'm mostly looking for a good tire that I can commute on (very short commute) plus splitting time with my STI, as well as track on. So they not going to get tons of miles piled onto them. Eventually I will pick up another set of wheels and have a dedicated track wheel setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ZionsWrath 04-16-2016 01:21 AM

Yea I have the same question too. I still see the same tires that were out 3 years ago.

I ordered AD08R but they didn't tell its gonna take like 3 weeks to come in so I'm thinking to cancel and get something else. But I'm not sure.

I was very happy with RE11A but they don't make them anymore.

I know the new hotness is RE71r but all my research shows it as a time attack type tire and may not stand up well to back to back hot laps? I am waffling over getting them.

What other options are there? RS3, starspec, ecsta xs, ad08r? I previously went with RE11A because I concluded they would be the best in this group. I wasn't disappointed.

Should maybe step up a bit, R888 or NT01?

My goal is a tire with decent grip that will let me lap continuously which at my level I achieved with RE11A and why I stopped using the OEM tires. I don't even datalog or lap times. I just did my first event in group 3 and still have a lot to learn about driving and being on track.

Northwest86 04-16-2016 05:04 AM

I wouldn't get R888s unless you need specific sizes. NT01's come in 235s which would do well. Otherwise AD08r's are my choice. Consistent and have excellent sidewalls which make for tons of feedback through the tyres. Great for learning control.

ZionsWrath 04-16-2016 05:20 AM

225/45/17

DarkSunrise 04-16-2016 07:54 AM

I've used Nitto NT05 and BFG Rivals. They're both on the less sticky (i.e., longer lasting) side of the 200TW street tire category, but have been very durable for track use. I got about 7-8 track days out of the NT05's, still going on the Rivals. No issues with chunking or premature wear, but fast enough to keep pace in intermediate and up HPDE groups. I've been happy with the Rivals in particular, but both have been great for track use.

Next up, I've got a set of Hankook RS3's waiting to go on. From what I've heard, they should be on the stickier side, but not nearly as grippy as the RE71R and Rival S "200TW but not really wink wink" tires.

Sleepless 04-16-2016 12:18 PM

AD08 is perfect for your needs. I love these tires on the track and they are great on the road; good in rain and fairly quiet on the road. Highly recommended

n8dog11914 04-16-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 2623934)
Yea I have the same question too. I still see the same tires that were out 3 years ago.

I ordered AD08R but they didn't tell its gonna take like 3 weeks to come in so I'm thinking to cancel and get something else. But I'm not sure.

I was very happy with RE11A but they don't make them anymore.

I know the new hotness is RE71r but all my research shows it as a time attack type tire and may not stand up well to back to back hot laps? I am waffling over getting them.

What other options are there? RS3, starspec, ecsta xs, ad08r? I previously went with RE11A because I concluded they would be the best in this group. I wasn't disappointed.

Should maybe step up a bit, R888 or NT01?

My goal is a tire with decent grip that will let me lap continuously which at my level I achieved with RE11A and why I stopped using the OEM tires. I don't even datalog or lap times. I just did my first event in group 3 and still have a lot to learn about driving and being on track.

I agree. RE11As were such a great tire. They were perfectly balanced in all phases - daily dry, daily wet, autox, track days, and mountain drives. I will miss these tires.

Ultimately, I will probably replace them with something like the AD08Rs when time comes depending on my focus. AD08Rs aren't cheap though!

klear 04-16-2016 06:02 PM

Bridgestone has $70 back on a set, so that makes the RE71 very attractive from a price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk