Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Thinking of trading in my BRZ for a plug in prius... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68453)

Indestruct 06-20-2014 12:43 PM

Thinking of trading in my BRZ for a plug in prius...

Hi guys,

I hate prius drivers as much as everyone else on this forum. But right now they are offering great deals on the Plug in Prius (22k after credits?) and I'm thinking of trading my BRZ in for one. Parking is really rough so I can only have one car.

The reason? I don't drive that much in the Bay Area and when I do drive I want for drive for UBER to supplement my income. I was the second one to get the BRZ when I lived in LA, but now this car is everywhere and I don't feel so special anymore. Girls seem to think my car makes me look like a high school kid... I'm almost 30 with a decent income and I can't be getting pulled over on dates anymore. I've had my brz for over 2 years and the excitement just isn't there anymore. I've modded my car with e85, OFH, OpenFlash Tablet, and it's still too slow.

Am I crazy? Maybe if I make tons of money off uber I'll buy my cayman S...

connorlug 06-20-2014 01:14 PM

The lease deals are awesome on plug in prius' right now. I work at a toyota dealer and probably 6 or 7 employees have already traded their cars in for one. I think they are only paying 140 a month for the lease lol. The car is great and is mostly maintenance free other than tires and air filters. brakes should go till about 120k. battery is warrantied until 150k. you can't go wrong.

martinEZ 06-20-2014 01:39 PM

Take a ride in someone's turbo or supercharged 86. I kinda started feeling that way until I saw how capable this platform was. I don't have the money to drop on those 4-5k kits, but I've taken a real interest in the Phantom ESC, almost revives the daily driver experience. I guess you could always get the Prius and overclock it.

Is that how Prius' work?

Just my .02

ZionsWrath 06-20-2014 01:43 PM

um... ???

Sound like you want to be the new cool kid on the block, definitely trade in.

If you actually wanted an even semi performance vehicle you wouldn't have posted this.

I'm sure you will be happy with your new drone mobile, "have fun" with it.

:thumbup:

DarkSunrise 06-20-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indestruct (Post 1807098)
Hi guys,

I hate prius drivers as much as everyone else on this forum. But right now they are offering great deals on the Plug in Prius (22k after credits?) and I'm thinking of trading my BRZ in for one. Parking is really rough so I can only have one car.

The reason? I don't drive that much in the Bay Area and when I do drive I want for drive for UBER to supplement my income. I was the second one to get the BRZ when I lived in LA, but now this car is everywhere and I don't feel so special anymore. Girls seem to think my car makes me look like a high school kid... I'm almost 30 with a decent income and I can't be getting pulled over on dates anymore. I've had my brz for over 2 years and the excitement just isn't there anymore. I've modded my car with e85, OFH, OpenFlash Tablet, and it's still too slow.

Am I crazy? Maybe if I make tons of money off uber I'll buy my cayman S...

1) About the car not being "special" anymore, it was bound to happen with an attractive looking sports car priced at under $30k. Toyota/Subaru selling 25k+ units in the US per year should have been an indication.

2) About girls' opinions, here's a tip: It's the man (or woman) that makes the car, not the other way around. If you're mature and act like an adult, people will view you as an adult. It doesn't matter what car you drive.

3) If you're getting pulled over on a regular basis, maybe it's time to stop blaming the car and start acting more like an adult. See point 2 above.

4) Makes no sense to me that you think your BRZ is too slow, and so now you want to get a Prius. With e85 and your mods, you should be making about 230-240 hp. It's going to be a dramatic fall-off switching to a car making 132 hp.

Save for the Cayman S, drive it responsibly, but know there's a huge stigma attached to P-cars as well if that sort of thing bothers you.

ayau 06-20-2014 01:53 PM

If you don't drive that much, why have a 30k car payment at all? If you want a Prius because you think you're saving money (I'm assuming this because of your Uber comment), buy a 90s Civic/Corolla that gets 30MPG. You'll need to drive A LOT for that gas savings.

IMO, the Prius just another boring car but it gets amazing MPG. If speaking strictly from a financial perspective, buying a brand new Prius doesn't make sense.

If you got tired of your BRZ, then you'll get tired of a Prius. Sounds like you just want a new car for the sake of buying a new car.

ThisIsChrisKim 06-20-2014 01:54 PM

If exclusivity is what makes you excited, go for a one-off kind of car that most people can't attain. Unfortunately, since the twins are priced to sell, there's going to be a lot of them out there.

Indestruct 06-20-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 1807246)
um... ???

Sound like you want to be the new cool kid on the block, definitely trade in.

If you actually wanted an even semi performance vehicle you wouldn't have posted this.

I'm sure you will be happy with your new drone mobile, "have fun" with it.

:thumbup:

Cool kid on the block with a prius? You gotta be kidding me. I think I regret selling my ap2 s2000 most. This is purely a financial decision to supplement my income with UBER money. The BRZ is still a great car, it just doesn't suit my needs anymore. I'm a safe mature driver, I haven't received any tickets in the US ever. But in the BRZ I've been pulled over for bullshit reasons, getting boba in the middle of the night with my girl.

tahdizzle 06-20-2014 02:03 PM

Eh, let him get the prius.

I for one won't miss him in the community.

ZionsWrath 06-20-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indestruct (Post 1807285)
Cool kid on the block with a prius? You gotta be kidding me. I think I regret selling my ap2 s2000 most. This is purely a financial decision to supplement my income with UBER money. The BRZ is still a great car, it just doesn't suit my needs anymore. I'm a safe mature driver, I haven't received any tickets in the US ever. But in the BRZ I've been pulled over for bullshit reasons, getting boba in the middle of the night with my girl.

Purely financial? You DEFINITELY need to trade in. There is not much financial supplement to owning one of these cars.

Good luck with your Prius. Post some pics and/or vids when you track it.

thill 06-20-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 1807266)
If you don't drive that much, why have a 30k car payment at all? If you want a Prius because you think you're saving money (I'm assuming this because of your Uber comment), buy a 90s Civic/Corolla that gets 30MPG. You'll need to drive A LOT for that gas savings.

IMO, the Prius just another boring car but it gets amazing MPG. If speaking strictly from a financial perspective, buying a brand new Prius doesn't make sense.

If you got tired of your BRZ, then you'll get tired of a Prius. Sounds like you just want a new car for the sake of buying a new car.

What he said. Also, if you think your current car is slow, I am not sure how you could be happy with a Prius.

Annahra 06-20-2014 02:16 PM

Why are you getting pulled over so much? I've been in a BRZ for two years and 6-7 cross country trips plus 50 miles of daily commuting with no front plate (required in MO) and I've never even had a cop give me a dirty look. I also just turned 30 last year, and am pretty established in my career.

P.S. Radar detector.

Indestruct 06-20-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 1807266)

I can get a brand new plug in prius for about 22k after credits, a little more than the value of my trade in. Uber requires that the car be newer than 2005 and has 4 doors. My friends are pulling in over 500 a week on Uber. I'm currently renting out my winter beater 2002 outback on relay rides and I want MORE MONEY. Only in the Bay area you can pull in low six figure income and still feel poor. :(

chas3wba0 06-20-2014 02:22 PM

Don't do it, bro... if you already have a girl, then why does it matter what other girls think? Fuck dem hoes! If you get a Prius I will judge you forever, not to mention cutting you off aggressively when I see you hogging the left lane! (I kid)