Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FRS Aftermarket intake question (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113162)

MechanicallyChallenged 11-22-2016 06:47 PM

FRS Aftermarket intake question

Hey guys, first post, so here goes.
To make a long story short, got my car first FRS from a dealership recently. It had an aftermarket intake that made my check engine light on.
Took it to get diagnosed and they said both banks are running rich and it is throwing off the mass air flow sensor.
I have pictures of the intake that i'll try to post as soon as I can. It also has an electric fan in the intake piping if that means anything.
My poor googling skills made me come across this forums and something called unichip. Just wondering if using something like that will allow me to use the aftermarket intake without having to go back to stock.
Sorry about the long first post. Thanks guys.

Cole 11-22-2016 06:53 PM

Just use the stock intake with an aftermarket filter. Sell the aftermarket intake.

Do not ever buy a unichip, @guybo had tons of luck with his :lol::lol::lol:

Lonewolf 11-22-2016 07:05 PM

As Cole said, get a stock (oem) intake, get a drop-in air filter and sell that aftermarket intake.

*If you want more power...do not buy the unichip, there are way better tuning options out there like OpenFlash Tablet and Ecutek

***Better question is why a dealership sold you a car with an aftermarket intake that has been clearly throwing cels...

MechanicallyChallenged 11-22-2016 07:11 PM

Thank for the quick response guys! You guys know of a good website to order OEM parts? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first real dive into getting to know all the ins and outs of my baby. :D And I'll definitely check out that OpenFlash Tablet. Thanks again!
Edit:
@Lonewolf I'm partly to blame for not bringing someone more mechanically inclined with me when I made the purchase. They diagnosed it for free but wanted 700$ out of me for the parts and labor to take care of that issue.

mrg666 11-22-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicallyChallenged (Post 2801978)
Thank for the quick response guys! You guys know of a good website to order OEM parts? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first real dive into getting to know all the ins and outs of my baby. :D And I'll definitely check out that OpenFlash Tablet. Thanks again!
Edit:
@Lonewolf I'm partly to blame for not bringing someone more mechanically inclined with me when I made the purchase. They diagnosed it for free but wanted 700$ out of me for the parts and labor to take care of that issue.

Instead of OEM intake, you can install the TRD intake which is OEM as well. Installation of TRD intake could be easier (and cheaper) since we don't know how much of the sound generator was left in place.

Sapphireho 11-22-2016 07:24 PM

Why would you ever buy any car throwing codes?

Life lesson.

mrg666 11-22-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 2801970)
As Cole said, get a stock (oem) intake, get a drop-in air filter and sell that aftermarket intake.

*If you want more power...do not buy the unichip, there are way better tuning options out there like OpenFlash Tablet and Ecutek

***Better question is why a dealership sold you a car with an aftermarket intake that has been clearly throwing cels...

Are you seriously recommending someone OFT tune who is trying to return to OEM and resolve the error codes?

go_a_way1 11-22-2016 07:25 PM

Points for picking an appropriate username

Lonewolf 11-22-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 2801985)
Are you seriously recommending someone OFT tune who is trying to return to OEM and resolve the error codes?

No, I said IF he wanted more power (via a real tuning solution with ability to take care of fault codes, not Unichip as he had mentioned) to go that route. Is that clear enough for you...jeeze

mrg666 11-22-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 2802000)
No, I said IF he wanted more power (via a real tuning solution with ability to take care of fault codes, not Unichip as he had mentioned) to go that route. Is that clear enough for you...jeeze

Nobody asked for more power, wasn't that clear enough for you?

Lonewolf 11-22-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 2802012)
Nobody asked for more power, wasn't that clear enough for you?

Someone piss in your friskas, fella?

Tcoat 11-22-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 2802030)
Someone piss in your friskas, fella?

The irony of you two's avatars right now is astronomical!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/image...ine=1476650154

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/image...ine=1336245428

KR-S 11-22-2016 08:52 PM

Here we see two natural enemies of the animal kingdom go at each other.

:lol:

Seriously guys, chill out.

KR-S 11-22-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2802050)

Please have all my thanks! :laughabove: